• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 16 May 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Kurufinwe’s Top-10 Endings
#4 – Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

“You’ve changed, you know.”
“Have I?”

— Grace Nakimura and Gabriel Knight

Many, many months ago, when I first started thinking about doing an ending-themed series, the first game that immediately came to mind was Gabriel Knight 1. It just was obvious; it was the ending. Thinking some more about it, I quickly realized that there were many other games with great endings, including some I found better than GK1’s, and over the course of the list’s many iterations, GK1 moved around quite a bit. At one point, I even considered that it might not make the top-10. While I’m dead certain about my top-3 and can’t see it changing unless a new game with a stronger ending comes around, the order of rest of the list (including the 10-or-so games that didn’t make the top-10 but could have) is much less assured.

When talking about Quest For Glory II, I mentioned three great elements its ending had: A tense final battle that’s challenging enough that you feel like you’ve accomplished something, but not so hard or drawn-out that it kills the story’s momentum; A long wrap-up sequence which lets you think back to your journey through the game; And a conclusion with a night sky and the promise of more adventures. All of this applies to GK1 as well. (The “wrap-up” part may be shorter, but it is, I believe, stronger.) On top of that, you’ve got a lot of emotion and excitement. And the music, of course. The music is half the scene, really.

When push came to shove and I had to finalize the list to start getting screenshots and writing things up, I decided to go with my initial intuition and put GK1 on top of those great-endings-that-I-don’t-know-how-to-rank. Why not?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have played GK1 and i remember i liked it, but no matter how much i try i simply can’t remember how it ended. Perhaps it is time for a replay?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

I think GK 1 is the best of the series, it’s one of those games that make me want to replay it again and again. I also like GK2, because it’s the first FMV I’ve played.

The soundtracks are amazing. I love Robert Holmes’s soundtrack. (I even made a game desktop theme. Crazy for my Windows using the soundtrack and a few in-game screens. ) Crazy

@ Iznogood: Sorry, I have to do this: Pan 
Crazy

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 16 May 2013 11:32 AM

Perhaps it is time for a replay?

Mini community playthrough? I just started the game… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I played it last year and I was astonished. It was real fun playing it along with this playthrough

I can say lots of superlatives about this game. But it’s not even necessary. I’ll just point out that this adventure was the one that actually made me feel like I was living in this world and experiencing gabriel’s problems and routine (writing, details, logic puzzles, the pace of the game etc.). And for a linear genre such as adventure this is a really hard thing to do. Bravo, Jane.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Beautiful, Beautiful, pixel art on the screen. Smile I have replayed GK1, 6 or 7 times, and I actually played it again a few months back. The game still plays and looks good even on my 42 inch HD TV. (BIG pixels) Smile  The game is among my favourite AG’s, as I’m pretty sure that most other AG players can relate to that.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah I enjoyed GK1 still on my last playthrough (it was last year, right?) and of the GK games I’ve played it the most. Actually on this newer playthrough I think I started to appreciate the sequels more than I did before but Sins of the Fathers is still a gem and one of the best adventures ever. I wouldn’t be offended by a HD remake or something like that but the old pixel art still works.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

GK1 ... the old pixel art still works.

Yeah, it works. But badly.

Playing Sins of the Fathers feels like watching Citizen Kane.
In a puppet theatre.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I hated to visit Auntie , even if must and there would be a clue ... Damn Gabe just moved so slow like a crippled Aged Turtle .

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I reckon I’ve played through and completed this over 200 times. Easily my favourite AG of all time. I wish sometimes that I could forget that I know the solution to every puzzle inside out so I can play it again fresh Frown

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Brilliant game and a great ending. Still my favourite AG of all time and is one of only a very few that I have re-played at least once a year since I got it, which says a lot.

The characters (and game generally) are well written so that you actually care what happens to them at the end of the game and the conversation between Gabe and Grace here just seems so believable for their characters talking in the aftermath of a tense finale. Also I think that screenshot itself is beautiful and a very satisfactory ending indeed.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

kate me - 16 May 2013 03:22 PM

@ Iznogood: Sorry, I have to do this: Pan 
Crazy

Well in my defense it has been almost 20 years since i played it, and i prefer to play new games instead of replaying games i have already played. I know some of you like to replay the same games over and over again, but i hate it if i can remember too much of the game, which is why i find that 20 years between each playthrough is about right Smile

TimovieMan - 16 May 2013 04:09 PM

Mini community playthrough? I just started the game… Tongue

Not a bad idea…but no, i have some other games lined up Smile

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top