• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 10 April 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve been meaning to post a scene from Al Emmo for a while, but I didn’t want to risk hurting the Mage’s Initiation Kickstarter by reminding people of that game. But now I can! Actually, I thought the last chapters (as shown here) were OK. It’s just too bad you had to trudge through all the unfunny jokes, godawful acting and dubious puzzles before that…

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I got a pretty bad impression of Al Emmo. Granted, I probably haven’t given it a fair chance, but the voice of the protagonist made my ears bleed, and I’ve never picked it up again after the first session I played it. Am I missing out?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Dag - 10 April 2013 12:40 PM

I got a pretty bad impression of Al Emmo. Granted, I probably haven’t given it a fair chance, but the voice of the protagonist made my ears bleed, and I’ve never picked it up again after the first session I played it. Am I missing out?

Someone will probably say otherwise, but in my opinion - nope.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Al Emmo is also one of the few games i have bought, where i only played a very small part, before i gave up on the game. I might decide to give it a 2nd try - one day in the future - when there is no better games on my to play list.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Wasn’t Himalaya planning some sort of a redux version of Emmo with different voice actor and enhanched cut scenes? No that those would necessarily make the game any better mind you, as the faults of the game lie deeper than flawed voice actors and amateurish use of 3D.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

tomimt - 10 April 2013 01:17 PM

Wasn’t Himalaya planning some sort of a redux version of Emmo with different voice actor and enhanched cut scenes? No that those would necessarily make the game any better mind you, as the faults of the game lie deeper than flawed voice actors and amateurish use of 3D.

Yup. In fact, they are trying to get the enhanced version Greenlit for Steam.

Release date: Sometime in 2013
This is an enhanced edition of Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine. The major changes are completely new vocals for the Al Emmo character (performed by new voice actor) and 2D animated cutscenes to replace the original 3D ones. There are also a plethora of other tweaks and improvements! Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I can’t see a point in the exercise really, as I see it as a waste of money. But as it’s not my money they’re wasting I guess they are free to try reviving the game if they so choose.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

As much as I hated the lead’s voice, I really enjoyed the game - there were a lot of horrendous jokes in it, but they actually made an effort to have ‘comedy’ reactions to tons of hotspots. 

I’ve not played that many comedy games I’ve enjoyed in the last 5 years of so, but the only decent ones seemed much lower on interactivity.  The Freddy Pharkas rip-off is a niche that needed filling more than the Quest For Glory/generic fantasy rip-off anyway.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Al Emmo really made me appreciate Al Lowe’s work in LSL even more that I already did. It’s not easy to build a game around a somewhat-pathetic anti-hero and a sarcastic narrator while still making both of them likeable. There’s a very subtle balance to strike to achieve that. Al Emmo tried to replicate that dynamic, but it just doesn’t work and Al Emmo ends up being a total creep and the narrator an obnoxious bully. It would require more than just different voice actors to fix that—they’d have to rewrite the whole thing.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Yet in our Sierra questionnaire thread, Al Emmo was the game that was mentioned the most under “which recent game felt the most like a Sierra game”. You’re not convincing me that it’s ALL bad…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 10 April 2013 03:11 PM

You’re not convincing me that it’s ALL bad…

It received 3½ on AG, a perfect score on JustAdventure and ACG, 96/100 on AL and 4 stars on Quandary. It even scores decently with all-round sites, like 77% on Metacritic and 79% on Gamerankings. Not only that it’s not “ALL bad”, but I’d say that’s even better than a mixed critics. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ll probably give it another go when the enhanced edition shows up.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I rather liked it. Granted, the protagonist’s voice was irritating, but I thought the same thing about Larry when I first heard him voiced. Reminded me of FPFP, which I thoroughly loved.

Not sure of the enhanced version’s status. There was a Greenlight campaign, and there also may have been something going on Kickstarter. I recall that one or the other, maybe both, needed to succeed before production would start.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top