• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 13 March 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

A pretty screenshot from Amber: Journeys Beyond (which is supposedly a very good game).

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s an excellent game with well-crafted puzzles and many goosebump-making moments.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Very spooky game. Great puzzles and really intimate storytelling. The three stories made me really sad. Frown

edit - this custom installer is a must: http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/amber/index.html

Also, there is a game-breaking bug near the end where you’re supposed to type a password into a computer, but nothing shows up. Someone made a savegame for right after the password has been entered, so all you do is press enter.

http://www.squirtthecat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

wow, I wish I could play this one!
(I’m now playing the Blackwell Deception and I’m in love with it Smile)

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dertiger - 13 March 2013 01:36 PM

Well, good luck with that. It is/was a wonderful game. System requirements are about the same as Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon. EXCEPT, it. like MYST, used QuickTime. So unless you’ve got an old 588 or Pentium PC running around with one of the earliest versions of QuickTime loaded, you may be out of luck. I’ve never been able to get it to run on any machine other than the one it ran on when I originally purchased the game.

There are some threads discussing what games deserve to be remade. While I hadn’t thought about it for some time, I would certainly nominate Amber.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Dertiger - 13 March 2013 01:36 PM

You can. Don’t listen to rtrooney. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/amber/index.html

You can also use a virtual machine + win95. I bet rtrooney hasn’t even heard of virtual machines.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Old versions of QT can be found here:

http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I love AMBER. Wonderful game made by (almost) only two people.
What a way to show all those bigwigs in gaming industry how a great AG should be made.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Fien - 13 March 2013 02:59 PM

You can also use a virtual machine + win95. I bet rtrooney hasn’t even heard of virtual machines.

Laughing I have no idea what is a virtual machine  

*sigh* I wish they could make a machine that played all adventure games Meh

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, a Virtual Machine, or Virtual PC as it’s sometimes called, involves setting up a separate drive/partition on your HD to accomodate a separate operating system.

Back in the day it was called a dual-boot system whereby on startup I could choose what operation system I wanted to boot to. At that time it was DOS or Windows. But that is ancient history.

However, there is some potential good news that I hadn’t heard of before. I’m only passing this on. I have not tried any of it.

Amber is a link to an emulator that will allow Amber to run on WinXP.

Amber2 is a link to a conversation that says the emulation will also run on Win7.

It is implied that you will be required to load a previous version of Windows.

Like my old baseball cards and comic books, I wish I would have saved all my old Windows installation disks. But I didn’t, and I can’t blame it on my mother for throwing them away.

I would suggest that anyone interested in pursuing this further start a new thread, as no one is likely to find an Amber conversation under this title.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 13 March 2013 07:13 PM

Well, a Virtual Machine, or Virtual PC as it’s sometimes called, involves setting up a separate drive/partition on your HD to accomodate a separate operating system.

Back in the day it was called a dual-boot system whereby on startup I could choose what operation system I wanted to boot to. At that time it was DOS or Windows. But that is ancient history.

Well ah No - That is still called dual-boot.
A virtual machine or PC is a piece of software that emulates a computer, on which you can install a different OS, from the one you are using on your actual PC, a PC within the PC you could say, like Microsoft Virtual PC or VMware

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

What did I tell you. Never trust anything rtrooney says. Nine out of ten times he’s wrong.

And the tenth time he’s just repeating what one of his old buddies whispers in his ear, even if it’s something someone else has already posted.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I will argue with your terminology. But it’s pointless because it’s about how to play Amber, not abput the Adventure Scene of the Day.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

rtrooney - 13 March 2013 08:54 PM

I will argue with your terminology.

Of course you will. That wouldn’t make any difference though. Iznogood is right and you are wrong.

But it’s pointless because it’s about how to play Amber, not abput the Adventure Scene of the Day.

Then why are you even responding? Cop out. Hey, I got an idea! “I would suggest that anyone interested in pursuing this further start a new thread, as no one is likely to find an Amber conversation under this title.”

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Back to Amber, does anyone know where I can get some weed killer as powerful as the one in the game? I’ve been doing some weeding in the garden and that’s some deadly stuff. (spoilers)

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 13 March 2013 02:43 PM

System requirements are about the same as Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon. EXCEPT, it. like MYST, used QuickTime.

I believe CCS uses QT too at some point for an important cutscene (and it probably uses QT for the intro too).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top