• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 30 January 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I really liked the way you had to find out the answers to the various questions in Sinking Island. It was a great gameplay mechanic. It’s too bad the mystery itself was so pedestrian.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I have the game in a stack - I really must get around to playing it!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I really really wanted to like this game. Benoît Sokal, the beautiful isolated environment (that happens to shrink claustrophobically as the game progresses), the ecological/weather catastrophe (which reminded me of J. G. Ballard’s “The Drowned World”) - a superb premise!

Everything else was bad to mediocre, with the voice acting being particularly egregious. Even the mechanic Kuru alludes to, while a good idea, didn’t work very well in practice - it was often obvious what the answer to the posed question is but if you missed a small item (with only tenuous connections to the investigation), you couldn’t get past. Sigh, so much wasted potential.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I quite liked it but not as much as I would have hoped. I agree with wasted potential.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I agree with everything said here, however I still think it’s more of a “good” than bad game. I was disappointed at how little interactivity there’s in most of the scenes:

with too little hotspots in a beautiful scenery, but the analogy might be just right - as one can now only admire the beauty of the ridiculous project gone wrong, much like the sinking Titanic.

I was also disappointed with the deduction mechanics - I had the same problem like with Deduction Board in “Sherlock vs Jack the Ripper” - I don’t know why, but brute-forcing was more convenient that solving it properly. I’m not saying it’s game’s fault for me solving it by trial and error, but the game still needs to motivate me enough.

However, I’ve found the characters interesting. It was really the aspect of the game that made me thinking about all the character’s motives, much like in a classic Agatha Christie story. All in all, it’s definitely a flawed game but with some poetic beauty about it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top