• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

HandsFree - 04 February 2013 07:45 PM

I like to ask Josho and/or Jim Montanus if it ever was a worry that players might not be able to solve the quiz and just give up on the game? I enjoyed it, but without google I don’t think I would have found a single answer.
Was internet research already expected in 1997? Or did you assume the game would not be played outside the US? (and for that matter: is the quiz easy for native English speakers?)

I didn’t worry much about the game being played outside of the US. Legend was small and I hadn’t heard anything from the Producer about localization or foreign language versions. Plus, the books themselves have the same quizzes in them, so as far as I was concerned, I was just staying faithful to the source material. Also, if you’re going to make puns, you have to accept that they’re not going to translate at *all* to other languages, so as long as I had thousands of puns that no non-English speakers were likely to get, adding a couple of puzzles that no non-English speakers were likely to get either really didn’t seem to make much difference. :-)

However, I think that other people had the same concerns you’re voicing, because somewhere along the way, someone made the decision to put out the game with a manual that was really a complete walkthru to the entire game. So nobody who actually bought the game at retail would ever be stuck (unless, I suppose, they couldn’t read the manual either!).

Josh

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 February 2013 07:22 PM

I absolutely love the old gypsy woman!

The old gypsy woman and Mr Eisenstadt are fabulous indeed, but Chives is still my very best on this story. The typical, sarcastic and somewhat snobby butler.

“Are you a magician Sir? I cannot help but admire the way you make things disappear around you.” Grin

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Has anyone else gotten an error when first starting out about not finding an autosave.sav? I installed the game with dfend and dosbox and wondering if I did it wrong…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

skeeter_93 - 05 February 2013 05:28 AM

Has anyone else gotten an error when first starting out about not finding an autosave.sav? I installed the game with dfend and dosbox and wondering if I did it wrong…

Almost everyone around here uses DOSBox and the game runs smoothly. There must be am autosave.sav in either the CD files or the installation folder! I hope it’s not a flawed copy. Perhaps you can find it and put it in the installation folder manually (a CCS file in my case)? If you can’t find it, then I could sent it to you since it’s only 51KB.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Did you move the CCS folder around after installing, or did you install it while mounted to a different directory than now? Or maybe you installed to a directory with more than 8 letters in its name (making DOSBox change that to CALLAH~1 instead)?

I had the same error when I first installed it, because I switched a few directories around afterwards (as I wasn’t satisfied with how I had made them fit in my directory tree system - yes, I’m neurotic).

Reinstalling and making sure that all the DOSBox settings are EXACTLY the same during the installing as during the playing should fix this.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I installed the game with dfend and dosbox and wondering if I did it wrong…

Use the (free, user-friendly, no-hassle, trouble-free) DOSBox installer for Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon and you’ll be fine.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Am I wrong, or CCS is the only game that utilizes this ingenious system of throwing you right to the action? It comes as a neat feature after the most tedious game starting system in Dracula 1 with excess disc swapping Angry

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I don’t know if it’s the only one that does that, Diego, but I like it, too.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Regarding riddles:

I got 8 of the new batch relatively quickly (10 minutes or so). However, the integrated hints thing kinda bothers me (and has in other adventure games as well). Now any attempt at conversation with the bar patrons will give me a hint? I feel like it should be made really clear that “you’re about to ask for a hint - are you sure you want to do that?”, or there should simply be no hints, or it should be part of an explicit hint system. I don’t like the in-between of it where I kinda feel like I’m spoiling myself but it’s not official.

There’s also the fact that it seems like you can get many or most of the answers by examining a few things and talking to people. Would you consider that “cheating” as well? This is all very distressing. Am I cheating?  Confused

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

More :

diego - 05 February 2013 04:15 PM

the most tedious game starting system in Dracula 1 with excess disc swapping Angry

I’ve played Dracula Resurrection (Dracula 1) twice (yes, it’s one of my favo(u)rites) and I don’t know what you’re talking about - there was nothing tedious in that game. I played it with both game discs in my (virtual) drives, of course (How else can you play those old multi-disc adventures?).

On topic:
I started CCS a week or so ago, saw that word puzzle, shut the game (I couldn’t deal with the hard puzzle in the middle of playing something else; now I finished that something else and I’m ready to really start playing CCS).
There are also 7 (seven! ) pages of comments (I remember whole playthroughs on less pages) to read before I can say anything about my CCS experience. See you all later.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zobraks - 06 February 2013 04:40 AM

There are also 7 (seven! ) pages of comments (I remember whole playthroughs on less pages) to read before I can say anything about my CCS experience. See you all later.

Not strange, considering the quality of the game and the fact that up to this moment, 17 people participate in this playthrough (19 if we count Josho and Jim Montanus as well). And we haven’t even finished the first chapter yet! Smile

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 06 February 2013 04:40 AM

I don’t know what you’re talking about - there was nothing tedious in that game. I played it with both game discs in my (virtual) drives, of course (How else can you play those old multi-disc adventures?).

Yeah, I guess that resolves the problem Laughing, but still it’s a stupid system where you need to have Disc 1 inserted every time you start the game even though you’ve already reached the second disc.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Okay, got it installed using the installer, but now the patch won’t work… Gee, I’m doing well.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 06 February 2013 05:48 AM

it’s a stupid system where you need to have Disc 1 inserted every time you start the game even though you’ve already reached the second disc.

I agree it’s a stupid system, but you can beat it (as described) if you’re a clever human being (and you are).

skeeter_93 - 06 February 2013 06:01 AM

Okay, got it installed using the installer, but now the patch won’t work…

Uh-oh. I’m playing CCS with no patch installed. 

Speaking of Callahan’s - I got two of the word riddles (#4 and #5) without even looking at the dictionary!
(I was just retyping the riddles to have them in a text file and the solutions came from out of blue.)
Only eight more to go.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zobraks - 06 February 2013 07:45 AM
skeeter_93 - 06 February 2013 06:01 AM

Okay, got it installed using the installer, but now the patch won’t work…

Uh-oh. I’m playing CCS with no patch installed. 

You can continue patchless (sic) if you like. That way however, it is possible that the game sometimes will “freeze” for no apparent reason (In that situation, it is said that restarting the game and loading latest saved game usually works fine).
Mind you, the first time I played the game, it was without the patch and I didn’t experience any problems then…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top