• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 4 January 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I enjoyed Runaway 2 more than the first game, though I think most of it is due to having played it on the DS while commuting to work–which meant in sessions too short to get annoyed at the game, and without easy access to a walkthrough.

However, looking at screenshots for today’s scene, I can’t seem to remember anything about this game…

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The only problem I have with The Runaway series is how the incredibly nerdy Brian, who’s too delicate to pick up an item he really needs, just because there’s some dirt on it, gets this “makeover” and suddenly (and rather unconvincingly) he’s supposed to be this “cool” surfer-like hipster. I don’t know, maybe this transformation is better portrayed in the original language. Still, I found the second game to be the most enjoyable of the trilogy.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I think that’s in large part related to the English version, where they mistakenly chose to portray Brian as a Bill-Gates-like nerd. I don’t think that was the original intention. I played the games in French (Spanish wasn’t an option since I don’t speak the language, and I thought that, since the game’s development was funded by a French company, there was a chance that the French version would be decent), and Brian is not portrayed as a nerd in the first game.

He’s not a nerd, he’s a grad student. That’s not necessarily the same thing. I know lots of grad students who spend their little spare time on physical activity rather than nerdy stuff. (We had a grad student visiting our lab for a few months last year who would actually go surfing from time to time during her lunch breaks. So there you go.)

And that, once he’s decided to drop out of grad school, Brian would want to spend his days at the beach banging Whatshername and going surfing doesn’t surprise me that much. Believe me, when you get out of grad school, the first thing you want to do is to rush back to enjoying life a little bit.

Now, the whole “I don’t want to get my hands dirty” bit is what I consider the gold standard for contrived puzzles, so don’t expect me to defend it (or any of the puzzles, really). Clearly the designers were willing to sacrifice both logic and character consistency when they needed an excuse to shoehorn some stupid puzzle into the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top