• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 23 December 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Today, Thufir Hawat from Dune. I don’t know why both Lynch’s movie and the miniseries chose to cast actors in the part that looked nothing like Herbert’s character, but at least the game captured him perfectly.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 23 December 2012 11:03 AM

Today, Thufir Hawat from Dune. I don’t know why both Lynch’s movie and the miniseries chose to cast actors in the part that looked nothing like Herbert’s character, but at least the game captured him perfectly.

At least Cryo made Paul Atreides look remarkably like Dale Cooper Kyle MacLachlan.

I remember liking this game very much, including the strategy-part at the end (which was a breath of fresh air in the gameplay).

Graphics were great, too!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Great game and atmosphere with a very original mix of adventure and strategy. Played on the Amiga.
I have the book on my “to read” pile.

A question: Anyone knows If there is any other game (old or new) like this one?

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

We used to play this game as kids, but never got past the bit where you started battles. I’m not so good with the strategy… This year I played it and finally made it all the way to the end. I really enjoyed it.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Can’t mention Dune without mentioning the soundtrack.

And the only way to listen to Stephane Picq’s orchestration is in glorious MT-32 sound:

Also, Virginia ‘We’ll always be together in Electric Dreams’ Madsen. Good production overall.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 23 December 2012 11:09 AM

At least Cryo made Paul Atreides look remarkably like Dale Cooper Kyle MacLachlan.

Feyd-Rautha was originally supposed to look like Sting in the movie, but they didn’t get his permission so they had to redesign the character.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

thejobloshow - 24 December 2012 01:16 AM

And the only way to listen to Stephane Picq’s orchestration is in glorious MT-32 sound:

God no. The MT-32 soundtrack is awful. Dune is one of the very, very few games that sounds better with AdLib than MT-32. The proper way to listen to the music is with an Adlib Gold (or an AdLib/SoundBlaster as a second-best choice). Just compare this fantastic piece and its mangled MT-32 conversion.

The digital track you linked to is from the Spice Opera album. It’s neither AdLib nor MT-32, and often pretty far from what you can get in-game with the limitations of the devices of the time. (I like the album, but I find it a bit “messy” compared to the in-game soundtrack. As if he kept adding more and more stuff just because he could.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top