You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default Fanboy?

I told Stinger once that I thought Psychonauts would be good because it was a game being designed by Tim Schafer, whose previous games I have all enjoyed. He replied by telling me I'm "such a fanboy."

Was he justified in this claim? What the hell is a "fanboy" anyway then? Is Stinger insane? I always thought it was a bit more than "someone who likes the work of a particular designer/director." Like, I've never written Schafer fanfic, I don't run a church dedicated to his holy name. You know? Discuss.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I think you are certainly justified in expecting that it will contain a certain standard of quality and originality. After all, you like Schafer's work for particular reasons, not "just because". It would be unreasonable to assume that just because Schafer's working on it, it'll be some timeless classic, but you said you thought it would be "good"--I certainly wouldn't accuse you of being a fanboy.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-29-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default is this really a Psychonauts thread in disguise? you decide!

Ok, how about this. Am I a fanboy if I think that because Schafers making it it has a higher liklihood of being a timeless classic than most games currently in production?
Spoiler:
I mean, we all know Psychonauts will be the best game of the 2004 holiday season, right?

Old 09-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
The Dartmaster

Default ... OR is it secretly a thread destined to be moved to chit chat?! TIME WILL TELL

Spoiler:
and i want his babies... wait no.

Old 09-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
merely human

You're a fanboi, then.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #6
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
What the hell is a "fanboy" anyway then?
The definition of 'fanboy' according to UrbanDictionary.com

There are a lot of definitions to be found there, submitted by various people (Some brighter than others, as can be clearly seen), but the best of the bunch would be nr. 1, 4 and 9.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:02 PM   #7
merely human

Ha! I love these definitions, so true:

Quote:
Stupid 10-15 year old males who use AOL and worship one particular game system.
They are one of two (or both) things:
1. Too poor to own all 3 major gaming systems, so bashes the other 2 to make himself feel better.
2. Incredibly insecure and pathetic as the only thing he has to stand up for is what video game system he prefers.
Quote:
One who is obsessed with something and thinks people who don't like it are inferior.
Quote:
1. One who worships a character, game, designer or developer, usually in compensation for something somewhere (osipov,m) or a smaller cupsize (osipov, f)
Quote:
A person with devout love for a programmer (hence forth referred to as "The FanGod" and/or The FanGod's creation despite the fact that it is shit. Common behaviors of the average fanboy:

1) Fanboys can often be found "gorging" on one of The FanGod's appendages.
2) Fanboys will immediately assume everything The FanGod speaks is truth, no matter how absurd/irrational it is.
3) Fanboys will always disapprove of any suggestions pertaining to the modification of The FanGod's creation. This rule can be reversed, however, should rule 2 come into play.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-29-2003, 04:08 PM   #8
The Dartmaster

Default chit chat it is, then.

Woo by those definitions, maybe I'm not a fanboy after all.
Spoiler:
Unless I'm compensating for my small boobs.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:14 PM   #9
merely human

Ask for a training bra for your next birthday instead of the next MG game.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:26 PM   #10
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Ask for a training bra for your next birthday instead of the next MG game.
Hot.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:46 PM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

The golden rule for talking to Stinger is basically to never mention liking any particular combination of games by the same designer. I too have been accused of being a fanboy... in my case it was caused by a bunch of Grim Fandango references

Stinger is such a Runaway fanboy
Old 09-29-2003, 09:25 PM   #12
Under pressure.

Oh, I once hired a fanboy when my fan broke. It was really warm that day and this guy had to wave with big sheets of paper at me, all day long.

Ho ho ho.

--Erwin
Old 09-29-2003, 10:27 PM   #13
Joop Sloop

erwin_br:

Old 09-29-2003, 11:03 PM   #14
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I thought you were a fanboy Jake? You run Mixnmojo after all? So Tim Shafer is part of your fanboyism; like an extension on a house; it doesn't quite fit with the main part of the house but it's still part of it (Yes. I did think that one up all by my self)

And Marek, you're definately a Grim Fandango Fanboy. (Hmm perhaps thats why people think this site is so pro Lucasarts... )

So basically I think Stinger has got you both down to a T.

(P.s. just because you don't run something like Church of Tim doesn't make you not a fanboy. It just makes Kingz an extremist*)

(*in fanboy terms)
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Well, I'm male, and I like certain games. So I guess I'm a fan, and I'm a boy.

The problem with the word "fanboy", however, is that it's generally associated with the type of fan who's so obsessed with something that he/she becomes completely unreasonable and unnuanced.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 AM   #16
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

What Marek said + while Kingz may be obsessed (in a good way, Z) with Tim Almighty, I don't honestly believe the site is to be taken anywhere near literally. Performance art, if you will. *cough* Well, whatever you want to call it.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-30-2003, 02:35 AM   #17

Tim Rules!

Psychonauts will own all!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:49 AM   #18
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

hehe Twif, yeah of course not I honestly don't think Kingz has a shrine or anything (you don't right Kingz?... Right Kingz?... Kingz?)

I always thought a Fanboy was someone who was a bit more than a fan but a bit less than obsessed; Oops
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:21 AM   #19
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

You're probably right. I've heard both definitions used, so it's just a confusing and vague slang word. In this context, it was used to dismiss Jake's opinions (or so I'm assuming for the sake of argument), and that's the wrong version of "fanboy" to assign to him.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-30-2003, 04:00 AM   #20

Now who has the cooler avatar, Jake? 8-)