You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Adventure pilgrimages?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #21
Psychonaut

Talking out of turn...that's a paddling. Looking out the window...that's a paddling. Staring at my sandals...that's a paddling. Paddling the school canoe...ooh, you better believe that's a paddling.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #22
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
We work at Hothead together -- I'm one of the programmers on his DeathSpank project -- so I know him personally.
Yeah, i know. You've mentioned it numerous times before. You're very lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Sorry if I sounded like I was making one of my usual stupid sarcastic comments.
It's okay. Actually when i first read it, it sounded a bit snobbish. But, nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
You were in Ron's apartment, on a spanking related matter? Well I can only think of one thing...

LOL!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #23
tsa
Playing character

As you may know, I went to Norrköping last summer with my father to see the locations Carol Reed has been on her quests. I shot a lot of pictures there. A few days ago I started The Colour of Murder, and look, I made almost exactly the same picture as is in the game! That is so cool. TCOM is a very beautifully made game. There are so many things to see there, it's amazing! Anyways, the pictures before I start babbling:

This one is from the game:

And this one was made by me half a year ago:

Spot the differences!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #24
Lazy Bee

It's amazing that you managed to take almost exactly the same picture. You must look for the same things and views as Mikael and Eleen do?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'm amazed also by the fact the the works on that building didn't proceed at all during an entire year
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #26
Stalker of Britain

I have not yet, but I am planning to study abroad in England some time during my college career. I really want to see Cornwall, and Polperro, where many of the scenes of "The Lost Crown" are based/filmed on.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
It's amazing that you managed to take almost exactly the same picture. You must look for the same things and views as Mikael and Eleen do?
I did indeed look for sights that could be in the games. I succeeded quite well! . I had such a good time yesterday evening walking around in the Industrial Area again, albeit in a game and not in meatspace! To find that picture was a real treat. What a great game .
Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #28
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I'm amazed also by the fact the the works on that building didn't proceed at all during an entire year
Same here. The digger seems to have grown/evolved though.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #29
tsa
Playing character

Next year I will most probably go to New York on vacation. Are there any adventure games that take place in contemporary New York?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #30
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Next year I will most probably go to New York on vacation.
*envies*
Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #31
Mean Old Cat

Ooh, I just found this thread and have to post too. I spent the past six months in Germany, and in early November I dragged a friend with me down to Munich and Bavaria to go on a Gabriel Knight geek-tour. We went to look at Castle Neuschwanstein (which is very small, but you recognize a lot in it from the game), Marienplatz and a few other places from The Beast Within, and I can really recommend the trip. Bavaria is extremely beautiful! I especially loved Starnberger See, which is where the Ludwig memorial can be found. We had to walk for over an hour to find the cross and the sanctum, but it was totally worth it.

In any case, I'm posting links here to a few of the pictures I took that I hope at least the other GK crazies will appreciate (we also visited the Ludwig museum, but you're not allowed to take pictures inside of course, so there is no photographic evidence). I didn't get them quite as freakishly identical to the game screens as tsa did, but if you've played the game you'll probably be able to recognize the places in question...

Marienplatz:
Photo!
Photo!
Photo!
Photo!
Photo!
Photo!

Ludwigs Totesort:
Photo!
Photo!
Photo!

Schloss Neuschwanstein:
Photo!
Photo!

For my next geek-tour I'm thinking I'll do GK3.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #32
tsa
Playing character

Wow that's so cool. I LOVE the picture of all the sausages! Did you take more pics of Neuschwanstein?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #33
Lazy Bee

Great pictures MaFratelli. How cool to walk in the footsteps of Gabriel Knight. The Marienplatz pictures really brings back memories from playing The Beast Within.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #34

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Awesome pictures indeed, MaFratelli!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #35
Mean Old Cat

*grin* I kind of suspected that Andrea would enjoy them. Don't know why.

And indeed, I have a whole pile of photos lying around; here and here are two more of the castle. The bus to Neuschwanstein drops you off in an artificially quaint tourist-infested village called Hohenschwangau, and from there you get to walk the last bit up to the castle. I didn't see any cable cars, although for a small fee you can hitch a ride with one of these.

... And yeah, the place really is full of Japanese tourists. It was off-season when we visited, and the courtyard still looked like this. The guide told us they usually get around 3 000 people a day during the summer months; it's one of Germany's most popular tourist attractions. I was also disappointed to find that you can't walk between the rooms as you please, but are forced to follow along with a guide. No running in and out and spilling water on priceless chairs for me!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #36
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFratelli View Post
*grin* I kind of suspected that Andrea would enjoy them. Don't know why.
That's simple. Because I like them!

Do the rooms inside NSS look a bit like in the game? And those paintings about the wolf story, are they really there? And the hall where they are, is that open to the elements? It looks like it is in the game as well as in the picture you showed. If it is I wonder how they keep all the beautiful things there free of bird s*** and other dirty stuff.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
The Major Grubert.

I too went to Munich, Fussen, and the Neuschwanstein, but don't have a lot of great photos due to the weather at the time. Still, it was quite magical.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:15 AM   #38
Mean Old Cat

Yeah. "Magical" is a good word for it. A lot of this is up in the Alps, so the scenery is gorgeous. You get to go on a ferry for twenty minutes or so to get to the Ludwig museum, and the view on that trip was quite something.

About the castle: the paintings are really there in all the rooms. And the rooms are decorated like in the game. The only one I thought of that looked quite a bit different than in the game was the "grotto" room, which in reality is light greyish, but in the game looked very blue as far as I can remember. Also, the black Madonna wasn't in Ludwig's chapel. Perhaps that's something the game designers came up with themselves.

The room with the wolf paintings was to be Ludwig's private concert room, but he died before he had time to use it. Our guide told us that these days, they arrange an annual concert with songs from different Wagner operas in there, which is probably quite an experience. The wolf paintings are NOT there, sadly, but the big painting at the end of the room is still there, just without a wolf! It seems like the game makers took a photo of the painting and just painted a wolf into it to fit the story, or at least based their own painting off the existing one; I thought that was pretty cool.

Oh, and the gallery isn't open to the elements. It looks like it in my photo, but it was actually glassed up so no birds could get in.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 AM   #39
tsa
Playing character

Thanks! I always wondered about that room. But could they make glass windows that big in the 1800s alresdy, or was it glassed up later?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #40
Mean Old Cat

They've glassed it up later. I can't remember quite how it was all laid out now, but I think the gallery is actually at the end of a corridor right outside the concert room, so you could probably shut the doors and protect it that way.