You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The massacre of Kauhajoki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default The massacre of Kauhajoki

80km from where I live, what the **** is wrong with the world?

I seriously don't know what to think about this anymore. I'm disappointed in the human race.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...rss_topstories

My good friend's girlfriend was in that school today and nobody can reach her by phone or any other way.

I'm sad right now. I have nothing else to say.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Lazy Bee

I just read about it and am trying to grasp what has happened.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #3

Tragic. How is it that any random person can still have access to guns?

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 09-23-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Psychonaut

I hope your friends GF is ok.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
I hope your friends GF is ok.
Me too.

When I first read this story, they mentioned at the end that Finland has a higher gun ownership ratio than the US and some other countries. I was surprised by that.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I met my friend today and he confirmed to me that his girlfriend was one of the victims of this shooting.

He is in shock and I tried my best to talk about everything with him. I'm in shock as well, how can anyone be so cruel that takes away the lives of people who are so young and full of live and the whole future still awaiting them.

This was the first time my friend had ever really fallen for a girl and I noticed that, now it's like everything has been taken away from his life...

Marjukka was only 20 years old and full of life and they both had big plans for the future...

Why do good people have to die young because of some idiot's actions?

This is is not fair.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Lazy Bee

Kolzig
I'm so sorry for the loss.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'm sorry for the loss.
I can't imagine how someone could do something so evil.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #9

That's so horrible, Kolzig. My thoughts are with you and your friend.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
The Major Grubert.

My deepest sympathies Kolzig to you and your friend.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Psychonaut

Shit, that's dreadful.

Sorry to hear that Kolzig.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #12

I'm sorry for the loss,Kolzig.
Nowdays,some people underestimate the value of life.They don't care that their actions have consequences on others.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
tsa
Playing character

However hard I try I just can't figure out what goes on in the heads of the people who do these horrible things. They are so preoccupied with themselves that they don't realize what they do to the people they kill, wound, and their family and friends. They waste more lives than they think in doing what they do. I read your story with tears in my eyes Kolzig. I wish you and your friend strength in dealing with your loss.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
However hard I try I just can't figure out what goes on in the heads of the people who do these horrible things.
Anger at the world and all the people who don't understand them. I can relate to this feeling all too well, which is why I actually felt sympathy for the Columbine kids back when I was in high school. This kind of anger is justified, because, well, the world is a shitty place, and it's stupid to pretend everything's happy and perfect. It's easier to just give up than it is to try and fix things.

However, if you're going to give up, then why must you take so many people down with you? Because you want to be remembered, and perhaps even famous after you die -- a desire many of us can relate to. So, recalling how much media attention the Columbine kids got back in the day, you decide to go out and copy them. And lo and behold, it works, because we're still making such a huge deal out of school shooting stories, over and over again. It's fucking stupid, and I'm sick of it, but as long as we keep glorifying and sensationalising violence, it's just going to continue.

I feel just as sympathetic for the friends and loved ones of the victims as I feel for any other person in the world who has to deal with such a loss. So I offer my condolences. But what I'm not going to do is blame this on the actions of a few "sick people", because that's bullshit. Our entire society is sick.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Why do good people have to die young because of some idiot's actions?
When you put it like that, it sounds no different from people dieing in car accidents.

Quote:
However hard I try I just can't figure out what goes on in the heads of the people who do these horrible things. They are so preoccupied with themselves that they don't realize what they do to the people they kill, wound, and their family and friends.
I don't know, if they were preoccupied with themselves, why would they bother to take others down with them? Or why would they even want to kill themselves? Or to put themselves in a position that they'd be in from going on a killing spree, instead of killing people in ways they might be able to get away with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
<snip>

I want to have your babies.

I can understand various reasons for going on a killing spree. And for those, there are much less evil alternatives. Like participating in a suicide pact. Or two widely well regarded ones: specifically targeting someone who many people would feel deserves it, and jumping off a building while attached to a contraption of materials designed to create the appearance of having torn off ones own head.

Last edited by undeaf; 09-26-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #16
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
I don't know, if they were preoccupied with themselves, why would they bother to take others down with them?
Like Squinky said: to be remembered.

Quote:
Or why would they even want to kill themselves? Or to put themselves in a position that they'd be in from going on a killing spree, instead of killing people in ways they might be able to get away with?
I don't think there is any way to get away with killing a person in Western society, except out of self-defense. Let's keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
What I'm not going to do is blame this on the actions of a few "sick people", because that's bullshit. Our entire society is sick.
I strongly disagree with you here. It's so easy to say that 'our whole society is sick.' Any society has aspects that are considered disagreeable by the people who live in that society, since nothing is perfect on this planet. There are so many different people that it is impossible to create a society in which everyone feels happy. People who go around killing other people because they have problems with some aspects of the society they live in will be considered sick, idiot, or terrorists in any society.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #17
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Any society has aspects that are considered disagreeable by the people who live in that society, since nothing is perfect on this planet. There are so many different people that it is impossible to create a society in which everyone feels happy.
Fair enough, but I hope you're not arguing that it's perfectly fine to leave the world the way it is. As enlightened as Western society purports to be, there are still many groups of people who are spending their lives systematically oppressed and persecuted. Just because "perfect" is an unattainable ideal, doesn't mean that we can't take more steps to make the world better than it is now.

Quote:
People who go around killing other people because they have problems with some aspects of the society they live in will be considered sick, idiot, or terrorists in any society.
Because societies don't like to examine what it is they did to provoke those people to kill in the first place, and whether or not it could have been prevented. Just saying.

Quote:
I want to have your babies.
I was having a bad day today, and this cheered me up. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
It's Hard To Be Humble

My condolences to the friends and families of the victims of this atrocity.

And indeed, while it's not the worst of all possible worlds to live in, there is still a deep well of poison in the bloodstream of our society where such people can escape notice and proper care until it's too late.

We live in a world of avarice and inequality, where some will gladly oppress others to gain more for themselves and their kin. Our world has changed a fair bit from the days of white colonialism, and so our human rights violations aren't as overt or as blindly justified as they once were.

However, we still wage war, terrorism and espionage on one another, still espouse economic and political philosophies that either reduce the human spirit to the least significant factor, or give license to those who have no compunctions about taking the lion's share for themselves. We still champion competitive spirit, and reward those who prove themselves superior in even the most meaningless of achievements. We still worship the rich and famous. We still make jokes about those who aren't successful members of society.

We are a world full of societies that are mostly driven to put themselves above one another, and while there is a great deal more humanitarianism in the world today than there was even 50 years ago, we still have a long way to go.

The problem isn't in somebody else's country. It's right in our own homes. It's how we see each other, and how we judge and dismiss each other. The disenfranchised are a part of us. The longer we ignore those who aren't the declared heroes of our societies, the longer they dwell in pain and anger, until something like this happens.

I'm not saying we are individually responsible for killing those victims through our inaction, any more than we are responsible for rape, domestic violence and white collar crime. I'm just saying that we are responsible for how we look at the world, and the people in it. If we all learn to take a little time to look after the ones who aren't fitting in as well, we can help to prevent such horrific actings-out. We are all victims in this scenario, but we are not powerless to fix the problem. We need to learn to reach out, all of us, and embrace those who feel like they have no place in this world, and who resent the world for making them feel that way.

On the flip side, in creating a more caring and open-minded society, hopefully such disenfranchised individuals won't feel so completely irresponsible for their own suffering, and won't feel justified in taking their anger out on the world in such a manner.

Until we all learn to accept and care for one another, we're going to continue to see this sort of thing, and the news people will continue to escalate the tragedy to sell ad space.

I know, sounds naive and hippy-dippy. Thing is, mutual tolerance doesn't seem to be cutting it, does it? We dismissed such high-minded thinking as being unrealistic, and yet find ourselves continually trying to explain away such explosions as aberrations to our society. We treat them as a symptom of some outside influence, refusing to accept our own culpability in creating the problems that lie before us. The problem is in our blind spots.

And believe you me, I'm not getting up on my soap box here. I'm no better at acceptance and open-heartedness than anyone here. I need to work at it too. Just saying is all.

[As a caveat, I'm not sure what to do about those whom we label sociopathic. We seem to have quite a few of these, and it's a problem that can't be cured conventionally. Presumably, we are hoping that behavioural conditioning can help direct such individuals away from aggressive behaviour against their fellow man. I'm eagerly hoping we come across a real solution to the problem though, because they have a way of making the world fit their worldview, when people react to their thoughtless selfishness and perpetuate the attitude amongst those who might normally give a damn.]
Old 09-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #19
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
And believe you me, I'm not getting up on my soap box here. I'm no better at acceptance and open-heartedness than anyone here. I need to work at it too. Just saying is all.
Neither am I. And thank you for all of the above; it mirrors my feelings exactly.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #20

I agree with Squinky.This is the way i feel,too.
But since my english aren't that good,you expressed everybody's feelings with your words.
Thank you...