You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #1381
capsized.

Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chinese.

I can't believe it! I crashed the second car in three days. No major damage, mind you, but damage nonetheless. Two days ago I hit a stone on the side of the road I hadn't seen due to hedges blocking my sight, today I touched a car that was awkwardly parking outside the company's hq, that is, more or less it was almost blocking the front gate which I tried to pass. Two-way traffic caused me to steer just a little to the right while doing so and... sigh. First car was a company car, second car a rental car...

I hope this doesn't affect my relationship with that company in a negative way... The first time I did this job was five or six years ago, and I used to work there during semester holidays.

Everything sucks, I'm going to bed, over and out.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #1382
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chinese.

I can't believe it! I crashed the second car in three days. No major damage, mind you, but damage nonetheless. Two days ago I hit a stone on the side of the road I hadn't seen due to hedges blocking my sight, today I touched a car that was awkwardly parking outside the company's hq, that is, more or less it was almost blocking the front gate which I tried to pass. Two-way traffic caused me to steer just a little to the right while doing so and... sigh. First car was a company car, second car a rental car...

I hope this doesn't affect my relationship with that company in a negative way... The first time I did this job was five or six years ago, and I used to work there during semester holidays.

Everything sucks, I'm going to bed, over and out.
Sorry to hear about your car troubles Sam, I'm glad that you’re ok though, you know no bodily harm that is.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #1383
The Major Grubert.

In the morning, you must face the Insurance Deities. I pity you.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #1384
The Major Grubert.

My life at work is hell. Do I have Job security? Yes. Can they live without me? No.

But I still have a type A boss who not only gives me too many unreasonable directives, but tells me how to do it. He doesn't know how to do it. Too often do I have to say "um, that won't work".

Please, just get the fuck out of my world and let me do my job.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:02 AM   #1385
Lovable rogue

Hehe, you're living in a Dilbert cartoon.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #1386
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Don't let them take your red Swingline stapler.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #1387
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

If he rests his hand on the edge of your cubicle, paint his fingernails with white-out.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #1388

My brother left to Japan again, this time to teach English. Now I've got an excuse to take a trip there again, not that one needs an excuse to go there. Also a reason to start improving my Japanese.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #1389
Lovable rogue

May I come with you?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #1390

If I take you, I'd have to take everyone else too. But...since I like everyone here, sure! I think you'll have to bring tents and sleeping bags, because the house would be too small for everyone.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #1391
The Greater

I don't speak Japanese, but count me in.

In fact, I only speak English. And there aren't any places around here to take classes for me. Arggh! *rips hair out*

Yeah, it'll be software for me if anything.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #1392
Lovable rogue

Speaking Japanese really isn't important. My father once had to work in Japan, he made the effort to learn how to say konnichiwa when he first greeted them, and they treated him like a king during his entire stay, as no other foreigner they had encountered had made such an effort.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #1393
The Greater

Still, the mere thought that a large percentage of the world can speak multiple languages while I can't is enough to motivate me, or shame me, which will motivate me. And being able to speak the language would make a visit that much more enjoyable.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #1394
Lovable rogue

But you're an American, the prospect of you leaving your own continent is so minimal...

Old 07-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #1395
The Greater

I'm a Minnesotan. The rest of the US is just... okay. Except for New York City and California.

No, I really would like to see the world. If nothing else, I'm stuck on this spaceship with six billion other crewmates, so I might as well get to know as many of them as possible, and visit their crew compartments, so to speak.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #1396
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Meh! My deity is now officially owned by a woman called Deborah.

As such, I'm going to need permission to continue having him as my deity.

Now I just have to summon the courage to ask.

Right.

Any moment now.

*stares at screen*

...tomorrow. Surely.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #1397
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
If I take you, I'd have to take everyone else too. But...since I like everyone here, sure! I think you'll have to bring tents and sleeping bags, because the house would be too small for everyone.
Hmm, I have a two-man tent and a lightweight sleeping bag along with some cooking gear and a backpack. I'm set!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #1398
The Greater

With six days to go until I... go, disaster has struck.

My duffle bag is too big.

Waaayyy too big. In fact, as I stand here, staring into the gaping black maw that is The Bag, it seems to be getting wider. How did I ever think this would work? How?!?!

A ten-pound, 30"x50" canvas monstrosity?

My clothing and gear was numerous. I could barely fit it into a single large drawer. No sweat, I thought. But when I put the stuff into The Bag, I came to a realization.

The stuff would barely cover the bottom, while the top remained limp. Most unwieldy. When I carried it by the shoulder strap, the bottom of The Bag dragged on the floor. Buying it was a bad idea. Mix-magnesium-with-aluminum style bad idea. I'll look like I'm toting a body or two through an international airport, for blog's sake. And the worst thing is, I need a headlamp to find anything in there. But my headlamp is in there. First a bag fit for Goliath, now a vicious cycle.

Last edited by Giligan; 07-29-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #1399
The Major Grubert.

I've been to several non-English speaking (as a first language) countries and have never learned a non-English language. This has led me to the theory that it's possible to go to most countries and pick up the necessary terms through osmisis. They invariably boil down to these terms: heated, toilet, whiskey, airport, please, thank you, receipt, carbonated, and menu.

The rest can be dealt with via grunts and gestures.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #1400
Lazy Bee

I find that being able to cope abroad without knowing the language is part of the fun travelling. Sure, I've been able to rely on English in most countries I've visited, specially in the tourist areas. And in areas frequently visited by many Swedes there are also menues in Swedish and sometimes the restaurant staff speaks Swedish as well. That is no fun at all.
Last Christmas we went to Spain/Gran Canaria and rented a car to see the non-tourist areas. We had to -just as Speckisie explained- use gestures and single words to order a lunch or ask directions. Afterwards we all confessed to finding that day the most fun day of the whole trip.