• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 January 2013 09:09 PM

I bought the game from Amazon and will download Boxer to give it a try.

Oops - this means CCS is bound to appear in MMFT any time soon, so I guess Clumsy MUST take part in the upcoming playthrough.

I only hope it works in Win XP (as indicated on some sites).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 28 January 2013 05:41 AM

I only hope it works in Win XP (as indicated on some sites).

It played on my XP, but the sound was a bit choppy. So I switched to DOSbox.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien, it’s pointless to suggest Dosbox to Mr. Z. He might be the man who can guess 84 pictures in a quiz, but he’s too of a sissy to try the software for a real men. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

diego - 28 January 2013 06:26 AM

Fien, it’s pointless to suggest Dosbox to Mr. Z. He might be the man who can guess 84 pictures in a quiz, but he’s too of a sissy to try the software for a real men. Grin

Darling Diego, how many times do I have to tell you that I DO NOT SPEAK Prikaprednazperuke! Translation please.  Angry

PS: Zobraks, give DOSbox a chance. If I can do it, you can do it. There are very good instructions for stupid idiots like you and me available online.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

My suggestion is to run CCS in DOSbox. To everyone (ok. I don’t know about Mac). It’s easy to find and install. After the technical problems some of us surpassed in the previous playthrough (TSB), this is really a piece of cake. Its instructions are very simple.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 28 January 2013 06:29 AM

Zobraks, give DOSbox a chance.

Sorry, Fien, but (besides being an obnoxious and user-hostile piece of crap software) DOSBox (they say) eats too many system resources and I have a weak machine.

it’s pointless to suggest Dosbox to Mr. Z

You got it!

he’s too of a sissy to try the software for a real men. Grin

He thinks DOSBox is only fit for masochists & enthusiasts and he couldn’t care less for DOSBox (once again, all the credit (kudos? wtf is kudos?) to those precious people all over the Internet who come up with ready-made DOSBox installers for various poorly programmed adventure games ).

I DO NOT SPEAK Prikaprednazperuke!

LOL!

Translation please.

OK. “Prikaz jedne poruke” means “single post display” or (in official vBulletin language) “View Single Post”.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 28 January 2013 09:10 AM

DOSBox (they say) eats too many system resources and I have a weak machine.

They lie. All you need to know are two magic buttons - CTRL-F11 (if you feel the game is running too fast) and CTRL-F12 (if you feel the game is running slow). But most of the time the DOSBox will automatically detect the speed, and the program runs perfectly on average or old computers.

to those precious people all over the Internet who come up with ready-made DOSBox installers for various poorly programmed adventure games

Yes, let’s just crucify those ignorant game developers of 90s ‘cause they didn’t optimize their games for the operating systems that would come 10 years later.

Translation please.

No need for it now, he basically said it again 2 years after. Frown He’s a hard nut to crack, I tell you. Anyway, what he said is how he adores DOSBox installers but loathes DOSBox (where’s the logic in that? Confused That’s like you’re saying how you hate potatoes but love the french fries Sick) He also says how he loves Scummvm (go figure, no need to remember the whole 2 (TWO!) commands to type like in DOSBox Grin)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 28 January 2013 10:07 AM

to those precious people all over the Internet who come up with ready-made DOSBox installers for various poorly programmed adventure games

Yes, let’s just crucify those ignorant game developers of 90s ‘cause they didn’t optimize their games for the operating systems that would come 10 years later.

I don’t intend to crucify anyone, but the fact is that there are games from nineties (even from late eighties) that work fine on XP. Their programmers/developers didn’t use the crystal ball, they just did some good programming (I’m not tech savvy to explain how they did it, although I remember reading about the issue in some articles written by the experts).

he said is how he adores DOSBox installers but loathes DOSBox (where’s the logic in that? Confused That’s like you’re saying how you hate potatoes but love the french fries Sick)

No. That’s like saying that you HATE to peel potatoes and cook them, but you LOVE to eat french fries, and would gladly eat them if someone else makes them.

he loves Scummvm (go figure, no need to remember the whole 2 (TWO!) commands to type like in DOSBox Grin)

Yes, he loves ScummVM, a very intuitive and easy-to-use software with the interface everyone can understand and use.
I’m not THAT stupid, I COULD learn to use DOSBox, but I don’t want to meddle with it if that’s not absolutely necessary (and I don’t find it necessary for me to use DOSBox).

That’s all I have to say about DOSBox.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

Zobraks, give DOSbox a chance.

Sorry, Fien, but (besides being an obnoxious and user-hostile piece of crap software) DOSBox (they say) eats too many system resources and I have a weak machine.

Agreed. I have enough things in my computer as it is, plus DOSbox takes a lot of time to figure out how it works (and the last time I used DOS commands was when I went on a “informatics competition” is 7th Grade of Elementary School. Nerd Crazy) I had a VirtualBox installed, and it took up a lot of space and made my machine work slower, so I had to get rid of it.

I really can’t believe that people chose the game that can’t even work on Windows (on it’s own) instead of so many great looking newer games. I’m not saying that Callahan’s is bad (or that games released after 2000’s are better), I actually really like the game, heard that it has great humour, and I’ve been wanting to play it for quite some time, but I had no idea that it couldn’t work on Windows.

How hard would it be for the developers/publishers or some fan to make a Remastered/Special edition for Windows like they did with many other games (Monkey Island Special Edition games, Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded)

Since Josh is around, hopefully he can answer if this might be possible in the future?

Until then, is there any other way to make this game work, apart from DOSBox? I’d hate to buy the game, and then can’t get it to work. What do you plan on doing, zobraks?

Edit: Just saw your last post zobraks

zobraks - 28 January 2013 11:02 AM

I don’t intend to crucify anyone, but the fact is that there are games from nineties (even from late eighties) that work fine on XP. Their programmers/developers didn’t use the crystal ball, they just did some good programming (I’m not tech savvy to explain how they did it, although I remember reading about the issue in some articles written by the experts).

I completely agree on this too. I haven’t played many 90’s games on my Windows computer (only on my old Atari), but I know games that work fine on Windows and were made in late 90’s (like Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (96) and Discworld Noir (97)). But hey, nothing can be done about it now except for making a remastered version, like a mentioned above)

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

SweetDalilah - 28 January 2013 11:18 AM

What do you plan on doing, zobraks?

I’ll try to install CCS on XP. If it works I’ll play the game, if it doesn’t I’ll forget about CCS until there’s a GOG version of it.

Speaking of GOG, I believe they just implement DOSBox/ScummVM for people like me who’d rather play games instead of meddling with their installation and settings.
Judging by GOG’s success there are lot of such people around.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

I really can’t believe that people chose the game that can’t even work on Windows (on it’s own) instead of so many great looking newer games.

Everyone can play CCS with dosbox, provided you have the game (which is the tricky part of course). On win7 however almost nothing works except dos games (using dosbox) and games from the last few years. Frown
You’re lucky to be using XP though, wish I could go back to that.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

zobraks - 28 January 2013 11:26 AM

What do you plan on doing, zobraks?

I’ll try to install CCS on XP. If it works I’ll play the game, if it doesn’t I’ll forget about CCS until there’s a GOG version of it.

Speaking of GOG, I believe they just implement DOSBox/ScummVM for people like me who’d rather play games instead of meddling with their installation and settings.
Judging by GOG’s success there are lot of such people around.

Bad luck for me then. Even if you get the game to work on XP, I have Windows 7. I guess I’ll go back to playing what I originally wanted (Book of Unwritten Tales). I actually have that game, anyway.

HandsFree - 28 January 2013 11:51 AM

I really can’t believe that people chose the game that can’t even work on Windows (on it’s own) instead of so many great looking newer games.

Everyone can play CCS with dosbox, provided you have the game (which is the tricky part of course). On win7 however almost nothing works except dos games (using dosbox) and games from the last few years. Frown
You’re lucky to be using XP though, wish I could go back to that.

As I said, I don’t plan on using DOSBox. I was talking about all Windows systems in general, I have Windows 7 laptop (I have Windows XP too, but that one is used by my parents, and it’s so full of things, not even God could clean it Crazy)

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 28 January 2013 11:02 AM

No. That’s like saying that you HATE to peel potatoes and cook them, but you LOVE to eat french fries, and would gladly eat them if someone else makes them.

If you only had the courage to try DOSBox for at least couple of a minutes, you’d know that you have to “peel the potatoes” only once - you can write automatic commands, and then play the game every next time by - double clicking the icon.

Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you - with DOSBox I can play every DOS game. With ScummVM and GOG, you can play 3% of DOS games. Tongue Good luck waiting for GOG and ScummVM to support them all.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 28 January 2013 11:26 AM

So your “weak” computer is not too weak for a GOG DOSbox version?  Tongue

How hard would it be for the developers/publishers or some fan to make a Remastered/Special edition for Windows like they did with many other games

It would be a lot harder for them than it would be for you to learn how to use DOSbox.

Since Josh is around, hopefully he can answer if this might be possible in the future?

Only the copyright holder can. Same goes for putting the game on GOG.

Okay, question for SweetD and Zobraks: If I, or someone else, posted literally everything you have to type in DOSbox (it really installs itself) to get Callahan’s working, would you do it? You would not be required to understand the DOS abracadabra you’re typing. Smile

Looking forward to:

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien - 28 January 2013 12:25 PM

If I, or someone else, posted literally everything you have to type in DOSbox…

Been there, got the T-shirt (sorry, it’s Prikaprednazperuke again Meh) I tell you, compatibility CD is the only choice for them. Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top