You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How do you play/behave?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 AM   #1

Default How do you play/behave?

When you start a new game, or get access to a previously closed area, how do you "behave"? Do you start looking for clues immidiately, or do you have a look around first?

I always look around, especially when I start a new game. Walk around the house, check which doors can be opened. How far can you walk before the "game boundries". Look inside the house (or whatever it is). Where's the kitchen (always interesting), what books are there (but not reading yet).

Then I go back to "start" and now start fine-combing for clues (roaming curser, you know).

Do you have any game habits like that?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:40 AM   #2

I am more of a "do everything immediately" kind of person. I like to check out everything in a new area, pick up whatever I can, run through the entire dialogue tree for anyone I meet, etc. This can get frustrating when I see something I should be able to interact with, but cannot yet because the game wants me to go somewhere else first so my character realizes he/she has a reason to interact with the object.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
The Quiet One

I usually explore first - examine every object i can see, try and pick up any objects that aren't nailed down, talk to every character and extinguish every last bit of dialogue etc.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm like Mohlin. I like to see where I can go. Sometimes it gets me in trouble if I run into another puzzle too early and solve it. I'll look at a walkthrough later and realize I wasn't supposed to do certain things until later. But I do like to know how far I can go.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
Life and times of...

Yeah, I'm also on the explore-everything-without-affecting-anything side. That's the biggest problem I have with more open games, I hate stumbling into things that advance me before I have explored everything I can...

I tend to go everywhere first before even talking to people and I try to be careful not to do anything that might affect anything, basically meaning that I tend to just use the "look" option before I do anything. Usually I then go back to where I started and then start 'doing'.

Sometimes (in not-so-well designed games?) it can get a bit tedious though, but even then I try to explore everything. I just don't like missing things.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I defined my method with Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father. I reason on a location basis. I carefully explore every location, talk exhaustively with every character within the current location, try to interact with everything and only after that I move to the next location.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
Easily amused

When I first start a game, I do a trial run.Then I jot down some quick notes about loading the game and settings (+/- patches), and include it in the manual in case I want to replay the game in the future. I explore a bit, get a feel for the movement and save/load screens. I check out the control options and adjust as necessary. Sometimes I watch the intro a few times to get a sense of what's going on before I start the game in earnest.

Last edited by colpet; 02-26-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
When you start a new game, or get access to a previously closed area, how do you "behave"? Do you start looking for clues immidiately, or do you have a look around first?

I always look around, especially when I start a new game. Walk around the house, check which doors can be opened. How far can you walk before the "game boundries". Look inside the house (or whatever it is). Where's the kitchen (always interesting), what books are there (but not reading yet).

Then I go back to "start" and now start fine-combing for clues (roaming curser, you know).

Do you have any game habits like that?
I do the same thing. I definitely tend to wander off to go exploring instead of going where I'm told to go. I go everywhere, click everything, collect anything I can. I might also try to see what kind of extra actions are possible, like eating, washing my hands or using the bathroom. I like to assimilate and feel immersed. I like to try to get in the head of my protagonist, like I really did just arrive at an old mysterious house. Then, when I feel comfortable and familiar with my surroundings, perhaps I'll begin the actual quests!

Some games really reward you for your adventurous spirit, but others not so much. For example, right now I'm playing The Black Mirror for the first time, and it's frustrating that I can't pick up objects ahead of time that I know I'll need later.

It's funny that you mentioned kitchens...that's the room I'm always most curious about as well. Wonder why.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

I explore each area immediately and thoroughly. It's a by-product of mostly playing first person games since a lot of them require sometimes tedious pixel hunting. I do the same from room to room until I hit a dead end then back track and try each room again.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #10

I look at everything I can first. I also like to look at objects before I pick them up, and later look at them in the inventory. I like hearing all the interesting comments. I also will try to pick up or use anything and everything because you never know, you might be able to stuff that dresser in your pocket.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Stalker of Britain

When I'm in a new environment, I love looking around first, seeing everything and clicking to hear any comments the character has to say.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I usually explore first - examine every object i can see, try and pick up any objects that aren't nailed down, talk to every character and extinguish every last bit of dialogue etc.
Ditto.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Flower bower bird

I always take the time to look around the area I'm in first, and if it's a first person game, I like to turn around and look behind me so I'll recognize where I am if I have to return. If I have a choice of directions, I'll check out the limits of each before trying anything, then I'll go back to the entry point to see what I can solve.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I think there's a psychology paper waiting to be born from this thread.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to tobacos

First i admire the graphics and let the music complete the picture,as exploring eveything that seems not worthy at the begining and adding up untill this new place reveals all its secerts to me,and untill i find out what needs to be fixed!
and i usualy when i enter and new place i have to use all exits to figure out all the areas i m dealing with.

Last edited by tobacos; 02-26-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #16

Look around? I 've got to finish the game god damned!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #17
Cake Maniac

I'm similar to a lot of people here, but I do more of a quick scan first before returning later. So, assuming a few rooms have been opened up to me, I'll talk to any characters and pick up anything obvious in the first, then move onto the next room. Once I've done that in all rooms and I've got a better idea of what I'm trying to do, assuming there are no solutions that have become immediately obvious, I go back and examine/try to pick up everything in all the rooms.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #18
Freeware Co-ordinator

I try to get myself into the story so, if there is something the PC is clearly set up to do at the start, I go and do that. I only really start the serious looking around once I have some tasks to justify it.

What sort of mighty pirate goes on a sight-seeing tour when there's a seedy grog-selling bar nearby?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
tsa
Playing character

I'm not into alcohol so I usually take the time to look around and marvel at the architecture (in Myst or your typical Sokal game). After I think I've seen all the main features of the new location I start looking for clues.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
3rd person fanatic :)

I search and find all possible hotspots - The more there are - the better! And I really enjoy every moment of it.