You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Why/How did puzzles become associated with adventure games ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #1

Default Why/How did puzzles become associated with adventure games ?

I love adventure games, but has anyone else been curious as to why puzzles became the main thing associated with the adventure game genre?

I mean when you think of adventure in other genres like books and movies, the focus is on going on a long voyage usually through a strange land, and encountering weird , fantastical creatures, and lots of action sequences.

Even in RPG games, the focus of adventure is on going on quests in places far from home.(Yes there are some puzzles, but to a much lesser extent)

Yet somehow in the genre of adventure games, while there are journeys, and weird places, the focus is primarily on puzzle solving.

I'd like to know why puzzle solving became such an integral focus in the adventure game genre, especially considering that in other genres (that I mentioned above), the word adventure doesn't necessarily imply puzzle solving.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #2

I believe it's because the first adventure game, known simply as Adventure (aka Colossal Cave), consisted largely of exploring a cave and solving puzzles to advance. Subsequent games, such as Zork, expanded upon this model, but retained the puzzle solving spirit. And thus a genre was born which somehow redefined the word adventure to mean the solving of puzzles moreso than an exciting undertaking.

While I love puzzles, here's hoping that future interactive storytelling is not confined to the solving of puzzles.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAndMaxLover View Post
I believe it's because the first adventure game, known simply as Adventure (aka Colossal Cave), consisted largely of exploring a cave and solving puzzles to advance. Subsequent games, such as Zork, expanded upon this model, but retained the puzzle solving spirit. And thus a genre was born which somehow redefined the word adventure to mean the solving of puzzles moreso than an exciting undertaking.

While I love puzzles, here's hoping that future interactive storytelling is not confined to the solving of puzzles.

Interesting. I had a hunch that there was some historical reason behind it. Why not call it the "logic puzzles genre" as opposed to adventure, though?

I should say again that I personally love adventure games, but
I just find it intriguing how "adventure" became redefined in this peculiar way in adventure games.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #4

With adventure games, the focus of the game is the story. Or at least should be, there seem to be some games that miss out on this vital point .

Given that, you need something to break up the story otherwise you'd just sit there watching the story unfold and it wouldn't be much of game.

<insert Final Fantasy joke here>.

Actually break up isn't the right phrase, what you need is interaction in the game. You need to require the user to makes choices/perform actions, a game has to give the users at the very least the feeling that they are influencing the game. That they are contributing to the story, allowing it to progress. That they are using the knowledge they have learnt in the game so far, to move the story on to the next chapter if you will.

But how exactly do we provide the user with the ability to alter/influence/progress the story?

Well you could use action, but I've never seen an action game yet that really let me feel like I was influencing and progressing the story in a way that made me believe I was part of the story. It's probably because action doesn't really require that I pay attention to the previous parts of the game, take Half Life. Do I really need to play the game through to know half way through that I have to shoot the bad guys? Not really.

How about dialogue? I haven't really seen this done effectively much, the only example I can think of off the top of my head is one of the early Sherlock Holmes games that required you to answer questions at the end of each section based on what you've learnt previously. It actually worked quite well, but I'd think it would soon become very tiring in a whole game.

Then of course puzzles. You're given the feeling of having to achieve something to progress, required to think a little. Unfortunately most puzzles don't seem to require previous knowledge of the game, more than likely they just require some lateral thinking about the environment you've experienced so far.

Sorry I've rambled on. My points is that a adventure game is there to tell a story in the form of a game, but to make it a game you require the player to have to do something. I personally can't see that many choices in how you get the player to do something without taking away from the games main focus of telling a story. More than that, the actions you require the player to take need to be entwined with the story, allow the player to become submerged in it. For me puzzles are one of the best ways of doing this, especially when those puzzles are worked into the story line.

Take a look through the review section. Some/most of the best adventure games achieve these two goals. They have a great story and puzzles that work with the story. Equally there are some games with brilliant stories but disjointed puzzles that mar the game.

Of course there may be a new/better way of incorporating player interaction with a story, and when we see that it'll open up the adventure game genre even further.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Aside from the historical reason, it's only fair - if you think about it - that a genre relaying on story, plot, character, exploration, etc., not resorting (at least not often) to action, fast-timed sequence and so on, put to test your creative thinking, which is the main thing a good-designed puzzle should do: if the puzzle doesn't stifle the pacing of the story, whose plot and characters remain intriguing and captivating through the whole game, and is a cleverly-used device to enhance the player feeling of immersion into the setting, an adventure is successful.

All in all, what better than puzzle for a genre where the main focus is story, emotional involvement and character development? In every book, movie or work of fiction the "hero" must overcome obstacles to reach his goal - Propp would have loved my synthesis - and, without fighting or jumping or shooting, creative reasoning sounds like the perfect obstacle to me.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to tobacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticadventurer View Post
I love adventure games, but has anyone else been curious as to why puzzles became the main thing associated with the adventure game genre?

I mean when you think of adventure in other genres like books and movies, the focus is on going on a long voyage usually through a strange land, and encountering weird , fantastical creatures, and lots of action sequences.
action sequences in any (adventure) game are always big turn offfff.
adventure and action just dont match.

and yeah its all about puzzles and (Relaxing),and since this genre was made.
based on using words to make some action(and thats all the action u can get),
which didnt require jumping or shooting, or...etc ,it was always about figuring how/what to do, while enjoying
the atmosphere.

Last edited by tobacos; 01-11-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobacos View Post
action sequences in any (adventure) game are always big turn offfff.
adventure and action just dont match.
Absolutely. I'm currently trying to play Fahrenheit at the moment, while the story is really intriguing to me, I have to play it in small doses due to the action sequences. I've given up at the moment as I became very tried of trying to control my characters claustrophobia with one hand while navigating with the other.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobacos View Post
and yeah its all about puzzles and (Relaxing),and since this genre was made.
based on using words to make some action(and thats all the action u can get),
which didnt require jumping or shooting, or...etc ,it was always about figuring how/what to do, while enjoying
the atmosphere.
You should try playing a classic from the genre beginnings called Zork. Instead of relaxing you would be constantly running out of fuel in your lamp in the dark, being eaten by grues, or having all your items stolen by a thief.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #9

good question. i always wondered that myself. since games like 'Tomb Raider' would seem to define 'adventure games', now they're called 'action-adventure'.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxadventurer View Post
Sorry I've rambled on. My points is that a adventure game is there to tell a story in the form of a game, but to make it a game you require the player to have to do something. I personally can't see that many choices in how you get the player to do something without taking away from the games main focus of telling a story. More than that, the actions you require the player to take need to be entwined with the story, allow the player to become submerged in it. For me puzzles are one of the best ways of doing this, especially when those puzzles are worked into the story line.

Take a look through the review section. Some/most of the best adventure games achieve these two goals. They have a great story and puzzles that work with the story. Equally there are some games with brilliant stories but disjointed puzzles that mar the game.

Of course there may be a new/better way of incorporating player interaction with a story, and when we see that it'll open up the adventure game genre even further.
No, you did not ramble on. Your post showed that you understood what I was trying to get at in my original post. I'm glad that someone else also thought deeply about these things.

Hmm...I'm trying to think of another way, aside from puzzles, that an adventure game could involve the user. I see that perhaps puzzles are the best solution for now. If they use action, or combat, it would become a different genre, but perhaps someone someday could find a way to blend action and puzzle solving in a way that works within the adventure game genre.

However, I agree with you that puzzles are best when they tie in to the story's unique setting and atmosphere or serve to propel the story along.

Often though, puzzles devolve into a mix and match game where you just blindly collect a bunch of stuff and fiddle around with them in your inventory until something works I won't name specific games, but I'm sure some of you have had experience with this.

I hope adventure game developers read your post and take something away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
good question. i always wondered that myself. since games like 'Tomb Raider' would seem to define 'adventure games', now they're called 'action-adventure'.
I should say that Tomb raider did find a way to blend puzzles and action. Some of the fan-made missions for Tomb Raider are better than the original games and they blend action and puzzles seamlessly. But, you're right though, Tomb raider is now grouped under a different thing than the "adventure" games.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to tobacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
You should try playing a classic from the genre beginnings called Zork. Instead of relaxing you would be constantly running out of fuel in your lamp in the dark, being eaten by grues, or having all your items stolen by a thief.
i know,
i remember playing games such king's quest 1-3,when suddenly a
drawf or a sorcerer shows up and GAME OVER.
that was really ridiculous,i m glad they are now keeping away things like this
that will disturb adventure gaming (which is already having enuff).
Old 01-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticadventurer View Post
[...]perhaps someone someday could find a way to blend action and puzzle solving in a way that works within the adventure game genre.
It's not that this kind of experiment hasn't been done before, like Indigo Prophecy, Broken Sword 3 or the Penumbra series. Even the finale from Gabriel Knight III incorporated some actions elements, and many adventures of the beginning were full of timed events, timed puzzles and arcade sequences.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Easily amused

I'm not sure why puzzles are integral to Adventures, but I'm glad they are. They are the reason I play Adventures, and why I got attracted to the genre in the first place. When I think of the quintessential adventure, I think of an immersive getaway to another world where I'm going to put my thinking cap on to work out problems or challenges that the character(s) face. It's not about winning or accumulating points/status/weapons, etc. It's not about how fast, how strong or how long you can endure. It's often everyday problems, and sure, they are sometimes contrived, but they still provide satisfaction, not only in the solve, but as a vehicle to have the story progress.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #14

From first playing AG's as a kid, I've always enjoyed the feeling of satisfaction when you finally work out a problem in a game.

All game genres have moved towards a more cinematic style and while action movies have been the main focus elsewhere, AG's allow you to experience the more cerebral side of unfolding a tale. (Although, to be honest, plenty of action based games these days tend to include elements that wouldn't feel out of place in AG's - though not enough for my liking.)

When you say 'Puzzle' I assume you use it in the purest sense of the word - slider/code/recipe/jigsaw etc.

I usually refer to all obstacles in AG's as puzzles, including - inventory based problems/dialogue trees/fetch quests

I personally favour the latter over the former as they seem to more naturally incorporate themselves into a seamless story experience - although not always.

I do enjoy the former, but find that they can frustratingly bring a story to a complete stop. They tend to rely on the player already possessing a certain proficiency in whichever type of puzzle is presented and as such, can become tiresome if it's an area you struggle with.

For example, the solution to slider puzzles are somehow obvious to me - though I've no idea why especially - but I'm useless when presented with, say, recipes (though that's often simply because I give up quickly when they are lengthy, with little to no clue as to whether or not things are working.)

Also, from an aesthetic perspective, it's dispiriting to explore a beautifully designed, vibrant game world, only to ultimately end up stuck for ages on a static image of a door handle or a gloomy table with four test tubes.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post

When you say 'Puzzle' I assume you use it in the purest sense of the word - slider/code/recipe/jigsaw etc.

I usually refer to all obstacles in AG's as puzzles, including - inventory based problems/dialogue trees/fetch quests

I personally favour the latter over the former as they seem to more naturally incorporate themselves into a seamless story experience - although not always.

If you read the previous posts in this thread, you would see that we are all using it in the latter sense of the word.

In fact we've already made the point that puzzles are best when they are sensibly integrated into the story/setting. Read the previous posts in the thread !