You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Please stop creating first person games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #1

Default Please stop creating first person games

Hi all. I just can't understand companies which create first person adventures. Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost? What's good in controlling a character whom you cannot see? Also, the feeling of i.e. picking an item or using something of the inventory in first person games is dull and don't get you in the game. Just remember: Syberia, Secret Files, Agatha Christie games, or even the old ones like Quest for Glory. For these reasons I have never bought first person games, despite the interesting plots they had. I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
You'll soon find out that's not the case; there's a fair amount of people who prefer 1st over 3rd-person titles.

First-person games have their place in the adventure genre. I happen to like all of Kheops's first-person titles, even though I prefer 3rd-person overall.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Adventure Newbie

Quote:
Hi all. I just can't understand companies which create first person adventures. Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost? What's good in controlling a character whom you cannot see? Also, the feeling of i.e. picking an item or using something of the inventory in first person games is dull and don't get you in the game. Just remember: Syberia, Secret Files, Agatha Christie games, or even the old ones like Quest for Glory. For these reasons I have never bought first person games, despite the interesting plots they had. I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
I don't think developers will stop making FPAs because one person likes 3rd person ones better. But hell, you can try.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Afterlife guest

...and while at it, dear developers, please STOP finally utilizing bits and pixels for your games. They are so obsolete nowadays.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
handsome

Quote:
Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost?
Is it?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
Super Moderator

You could easily argue that particular point the other way. With first-person titles you ARE the character, seeing through his/her eyes, so surely it's more magical. *shrug*

Addressing another point, I'm not sure how using inventory is really any different in 3rd person over 1st person. I know I'm bringing up Kheops's titles again, but the handling of inventory in Return to Mysterious Island, Voyage, etc is a key thing to highlight, with how combining items is handled.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Templar Knight

Send a message via AIM to Tomi Send a message via MSN to Tomi

Quote:
Hi all. I just can't understand companies which create first person adventures. Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost?
Why would it be lost? Just because of different perspective? I think that the magic of the game isn't in it looks, but rather in the story and game design.

Quote:
What's good in controlling a character whom you cannot see?
And what makes it so good to be a puppet master? The first person perspective gives a lot of players personal aspect, the feel that they are the character (looking through his eyes), similar thing would be life, you can't see yourself, can you

Quote:
Also, the feeling of i.e. picking an item or using something of the inventory in first person games is dull and don't get you in the game.
This I think is the weakest thing is this comment, since that part is the same in both perspectives.

Quote:
Just remember: Syberia, Secret Files, Agatha Christie games, or even the old ones like Quest for Glory.
Hmm... I get why you listed Syberia and Quest for Glory, but Secret Files and AC games?? Those games are one of the worst ones I played, SF is just not at all inspired and the AC games just eat up from franchises glory (what gets me the most in those games is that the puzzles are built around the story and not together with it).

Quote:
For these reasons I have never bought first person games, despite the interesting plots they had.
How can you know if they have interesting plots, if you didn't buy/play (presuming you didn't play them). And how can you know that the game sub genre is no good. You are using something called 'induction' here, which basically means you are drawing your conclusion from something small to something big (quantity wise). So i could pick up a few 3rd person games that suck, and say: "Dear developers, please stop producing 3rd person adventures, I tried a few, they were bad, so STOP it!"

Quote:
I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
Wrong!

Also I recommend you to pick up Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny that's the last game I played, and have to say it's my favorite game for the last year.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Psychonaut

Myst is BY FAR the biggest selling adventure game ever made and it's 1st person.

1st Person might not be my favourite, there are some really great 1st person games out there.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #9

I don't mind first person adventures if the focus is on the story and characters. What I don't like is all these Myst clones with silent protagonists, almost no NPCs to talk to, and dull mechanical puzzles. *yawn*
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5 View Post
I don't mind first person adventures if the focus is on the story and characters. What I don't like is all these Myst clones with silent protagonists, almost no NPCs to talk to, and dull mechanical puzzles. *yawn*
And no freedom of control for your character. Steering left and right and moving forward and backward by pressing arrow buttons on the screen kills it for me.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Myst is BY FAR the biggest selling adventure game ever made and it's 1st person.

1st Person might not be my favourite, there are some really great 1st person games out there.
And Oprah's fans are more than discovery chanel's viewers but this doesn't mean oprah has more quality. Sales isn't a benchmark revealing the quality of a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5 View Post
I totally agree with you. Myst is a tragedy. In fact it's not an adventure game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Why would it be lost? Just because of different perspective? I think that the magic of the game isn't in it looks, but rather in the story and game design.

And what makes it so good to be a puppet master? The first person perspective gives a lot of players personal aspect, the feel that they are the character (looking through his eyes), similar thing would be life, you can't see yourself, can you

This I think is the weakest thing is this comment, since that part is the same in both perspectives.

Hmm... I get why you listed Syberia and Quest for Glory, but Secret Files and AC games?? Those games are one of the worst ones I played, SF is just not at all inspired and the AC games just eat up from franchises glory (what gets me the most in those games is that the puzzles are built around the story and not together with it).

How can you know if they have interesting plots, if you didn't buy/play (presuming you didn't play them). And how can you know that the game sub genre is no good. You are using something called 'induction' here, which basically means you are drawing your conclusion from something small to something big (quantity wise). So i could pick up a few 3rd person games that suck, and say: "Dear developers, please stop producing 3rd person adventures, I tried a few, they were bad, so STOP it!"

Wrong!

Also I recommend you to pick up Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny that's the last game I played, and have to say it's my favorite game for the last year.
Are you serious?? Secret files is not a good game???

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphium View Post
...and while at it, dear developers, please STOP finally utilizing bits and pixels for your games. They are so obsolete nowadays.
I hope the rest of your family is more funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
I don't think developers will stop making FPAs because one person likes 3rd person ones better. But hell, you can try.
That's not my point. How old are you? 13?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
In an evening of July...

Creating a topic on a controversial subject, sounding a radical opinion, presenting it as a fact, insulting others. Smells like a troll to me.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
Afterlife guest

kuze: of course. That's why I even didn't try to explain anything.

g_sakil: my family is obviously more funny than I am, but to say the least - unlike you - I've created an adventure game using first person view which sells well. That simply rendered your point invalid. Next time do your homework before trying to speak as a big mouth of adventure players audience. One thing is personal preference which is of course your choice, another thing is speaking as a clever-clogs of the gamers (ha! I found a real life use for the word after all).
Old 01-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze
Smells like a troll to me.
Is that what that smell is? I thought someone farted, so I didn't want to say anything.

But for the record, I agree. g_sakil, if you want to have a discussion, do it by respecting the opinions of others. If you're just here to insult people, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #15

You beat me to it Kuze.

But let guy carry on with his ridiculous rant. I've been feeling the need to point and laugh at someone for some time now. I mean, he created an account just to write this rubbish. Guy has gotta have some time on his hands.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #16

Well, since someone else started it... 1st person games in general give me motion sickness. However I must admit I truly enjoyed scratches, and barrow hill was pretty good as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
Super Moderator

That's one of the things that's great about the adventure genre. There is such a variety of games - first person, third person, graphics types, etc. that there's enough variety for everyone. Even within first person games, they can vary quite dramatically (i.e. they're not all Myst-like). Vive la difference*!

*excuse my possible poor spelling and lack of slanty-things over the vowels.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #18
Templar Knight

Send a message via AIM to Tomi Send a message via MSN to Tomi

Quote:
Are you serious?? Secret files is not a good game???
In my opinion, no. I was very displeased with that game.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #19
Treasure Hunter

Quote:
That's one of the things that's great about the adventure genre. There is such a variety of games - first person, third person, graphics types, etc. that there's enough variety for everyone. Even within first person games, they can vary quite dramatically (i.e. they're not all Myst-like). Vive la difference*!
It's very true. There's just so much selection out there. If you prefer one type, you can go ahead and play it.

That being said, should there be no rap music because I don't like rap and I claim that the majority of music listeners agree? Should we burn all the Picasso works because most of the art world apparently doesn't like cubism? Should we slash all the romantic novels because a supposedly large sum of readers doesn't like them?

The answer is no to all of the above. If you can't let some people enjoy their type of game, please don't try to go "crusades" on us.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
You beat me to it Kuze.

But let guy carry on with his ridiculous rant. I've been feeling the need to point and laugh at someone for some time now. I mean, he created an account just to write this rubbish. Guy has gotta have some time on his hands.
Laugh at yourself, if you call rubish any statement against your beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
In my opinion, no. I was very displeased with that game.
Good story, nice graphics, nice sound... What else do you want?