You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Please stop creating first person games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #121

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Do a search in the Adventure forums for Fahrenheit too. When that game came out, there were a million threads about it (both pro and con). We also have a review. Keep in mind too, when others are recommending games, are their game preferences similar to yours? You've seen what a wide variety of adventure gamers we have here*. The same goes for game reviewers too. Pay attention to the text of the review, and not just the score.
I did read the reviews & some threads. & seems that there are more people who like it than those who don't. In fact it seems to be suffering from similar debate that we are having here. Those who don't like it is because its different kind of an adventure game, while those who like is for the very same reason.

Change in adventure game is not bad as long as game delivers. Look at the new "Lost" game on XBox360. It looks very promising. May be with Fahrenheit & Lost a new breed of 3rd person adventure games are on the rise which can make up to the lackness of 3rd person games which the 1st persons make up to.

Since I have the game I would be playing it & I think only by that I can decide if it was bad or good. After all I think it was you who told me 'what works for some may not necessarily work for me.'

If Fahrenheit worked or didn't work for the reviewer it doesn't mean it would do the same for me.

Quote:
*Which is why a thread like this always boggles my mind. The only conclusion that's been drawn here is that some people like first person games primarily, some people only like third person games and there are those that like both. Both types of games will continue to be made. The most important thing is to know what you like to play and find those games that work for you. I personally don't give a damn if someone does or doesn't like first person games, it's not going to change the games I choose to play.
Well we have couple of conclusions & people seem to agree with it. In final its not the fault on part of the game but the player. So enjoy the games you prefer, keep away from the rest & let others enjoy it.

If there wasn't a market for 1st person games they would have been stopped long time ago. I am a 3rd person fan (big time old school) but I wouldn't give up on scratches (hope they make it into a series) & Dracula.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 AM   #122
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
That is the exact point for starting this thread. I am a huge fan of "purely investigative" and "detective style" adventure games (Syberia, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, Tunguska etc). These games cannot materialize without 3rd person view and character. Any attempts to the opposite would have (and it did) failed.
Off the top of my head I can think of 15-20 1st-person "detective style" adventures. I don't think anybody would consider for instance The Tex Murphy games, Spycraft, the Last Express, Black Dahlia as failures.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I don't think anybody would consider for instance The Tex Murphy games, Spycraft, the Last Express, Black Dahlia as failures.
Apart from Tex Murphy (which was trully good) all the others (especially Black Dalia) got the worst reviews
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #124

Quote:
Apart from Tex Murphy (which was trully good) all the others (especially Black Dalia) got the worst reviews
That's simply not correct:

Black Dahlia - 72/100% (based on 9 reviews)
Spycraft - 76/100% (based on 5 reviews)
The Last Express - 86/100% (based on 8 reviews)

Scores taken from gamerankings.com.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #125
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I don't feel like digging up reviews for all three games, so I'll confine myself to my favorite (see my avatar): The Last Express.

Quandary: 4 out of 5
Just Adventure: A-
FFC: highest score
Gameboomers: 90%
Computer Games Magazine: 90 out of 100
Computer Gaming World: 90 out of 100
Adventure Archiv: 90 our of 100
Even Gamespot gave it 7.9 out of 10, which is high praise for Gamespot.

Which "worst reviews" are you referring to?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #126
kiss me Lewton

Send a message via MSN to carlotta von uberwald

I myself hate 1st person games especially 1st person shooters the gun swinging in front of you is really off-putting I prefer to see who I'm playing with lol you can't have a story without a character
Old 01-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #127
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
As two people have already shown this is just wrong. If you really intend to continue this argument despite many people showing preference for both first-person and third-person view (proving there is a market for both) then please avoid making statements like this unless the facts back them up. (which they clearly don't in this instance)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
As two people have already shown this is just wrong. If you really intend to continue this argument despite many people showing preference for both first-person and third-person view (proving there is a market for both) then please avoid making statements like this unless the facts back them up. (which they clearly don't in this instance)
If for you two people represent the majority, then go back to school and learn maths. I happen to know many people who dislike the above games. And honestly, I don't care what a site thinks about a game. I have my own judgement. Jesus, are you a fan of Oprah who guides you what to wear, buy, eat, think? Also, you intentionaly ignore many posts in this thread which state their dislike on first person games.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 AM   #129

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

This debate is going way too wrong even though conclusions were given & agreed to. Next in line would be 'stop putting female characters in lead role in adventure games' ... lol

What ever the out come of that I say "Art of Murder: FBI Confidential" looks real good.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
What ever the out come of that I say "Art of Murder: FBI Confidential" looks real good.
Has an English demo been released? Any news for the release date?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #131

Quote:
I don't care what a site thinks about a game. I have my own judgement.
Well, if you don't care about other people's opinions why do you have the analogy we'd care what you state?

Quote:
Also, you intentionaly ignore many posts in this thread which state their dislike on first person games.
You've obviously ignored several people who have explicitely stated they like 1st person adventures.

Or if you've not noticed, read below now:

I LIKE 1ST PERSON ADVENTURES

You've made your statement: you don't like 1st persons.

Now do you have something more constructive to say or are you going to leave it at that?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #132

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I dont knw why but your post brought a conclusion to 1st person & 3rd person games to my mind.

I believe its the genre & the environment of the game that demands 1st & 3rd person characters. There are games which cannot materialize without 1st person view & there are games which cannot materialize without 3rd person character. Hence, I believe we have 2 different classes of adventure games & both are here to stay.

So those who have problem with the 1st person games, just don't play them. However, once in a while a 1st person does come which is not to be missed (Like: Dracula series & Scratches).
Wether a world is better suited for 1st person or 3rd person (highly debatable) does not help anyone get over the fact that many 3rd person games are highly void of any characters, dialogue, or much of a story at all. These are barren wastelands. While many times very pretty, that is the only thing going for them, asides from some complex puzzles and that is pretty much it. Story? Just add it in, last moment. I have played 1st person games with story, with characters to communicate with, and dialogue. So I know it can be done.... so why isnt it.

I dont know about you or anyone else, but i play adventure games for the stories, not the pretty scenery.

though, i do want to play scratches.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Well, if you don't care about other people's opinions why do you have the analogy we'd care what you state?

You've obviously ignored several people who have explicitely stated they like 1st person adventures.

Or if you've not noticed, read below now:

I LIKE 1ST PERSON ADVENTURES

You've made your statement: you don't like 1st persons.

Now do you have something more constructive to say or are you going to leave it at that?
I said that I don't care about the review of some editor of the sites, not of that of people.
Your IQ is below zero I am sure. And don't you dare say that your 1200 posts are constructive. Jesus, don't you have anything else to do than posting every 10 minutes?
PS To the moderator: if you want to ban me do it. But if you want to be fair please do so to the cretin Terramax who barks like a dog.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #134

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

i like teramax :-(
Old 01-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #135
Super Moderator

Well, this thread seems to have degenerated back into name calling and non-constructive discussion.

I don't enjoy closing threads but I just don't see any point in this one remaining open. Insulting each other over a game preference is so pointless (and depressing). If I could only channel all of this passion and energy in defending a personal game preference and make energy out of it, we wouldn't need oil.