You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Please stop creating first person games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #101

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Why try to force yourself to play something that isn't right for you? Because the games have worked for others, doesn't mean that they will necessarily work for you.
Well thats true as well
Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #102
It's Hard To Be Humble

If it weren't for first person games, I wouldn't be playing AGs at all, I suspect. My first AG was Space Quest IV, but I didn't really get into AGs until Myst, Riven, Shivers and Buried In Time. After that, I was a convert. Third person games have been a recent confection of mine, by comparison. I find I prefer them, but first person games will always have a place in my heart, especially when done well.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #103
Ronin

I strongly prefer First Person adventure games, because they tend to have better, smarter puzzles than Third Person games. I honestly don't know why this has to be the case. Maybe developers understand the reasons for it. Also, excessive dialog wears out my patience pretty quickly, and Third Person games tend to indulge in that a lot more (because, I suppose, they are "character based").
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
Also, excessive dialog wears out my patience pretty quickly, and Third Person games tend to indulge in that a lot more (because, I suppose, they are "character based").
Well that is true but I have noticed this happens in games which tend to have comic touches to it. I.e: Run Away 2. The more serious games have little dialog & more things to do (but some serious 3rd person also makes you go visit sevral ppl tire all dialog out to see what you want to do & the next thing you know it was a tiny thing you were missing out all this long).

I think long list of dialog & cartoon graphics thing have been adopted from the monkey Island in almost every comic adventure game. But what worked for MI does not seem to work for every game. One reason I didn't like Run Away much.

Nevertheless 3rd person remains my favorite. Guess I am old school.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Nevertheless 3rd person remains my favorite. Guess I am old school.
If 3rd person games represent old school, I am happy to be one too.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #106

3rd persons now don't appear to have great stories, characters or voice acting (Still Life being the only acception).

Because of this, I've naturally moved to the older 3rd persons and 1st persons.

1st person appear to tell a story more by visuals than monotonous dialog and flat voice acting. It's only because of the drop in quality of 3rd persons that I've truly begun to understand the beauty of these games.

Also, over the last few years when I've been playing more and more adventures, I've learnt to chill out and take my time with a game, unlike years ago when I was used to non-stop action games, requiring split second timing and reflexes.

I'm playing Cleopatra and things are going mega slow. I've heard this game is on the easy side of 1st persons, but it's generally kicking my behind. But I'm enjoying every moment I'm solving a puzzle on it.

I wouldn't have had the patience 2 years ago though. So it refreshing to find out what I've been mission out on.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #107

Do we need a poll or something over here?

I have been thinking about all the 1st persons games I have played, completed & enjoyed & this is the list:

1. Dracula
2. Dracula 2
3. Scratches

thats how long it gets for me. I hoping Dracula 3 adds to it. BTW saw new screen shots of it. Doesn't seems to capture the same environment Dracula 2 did but still should be worth playing. Hope horror element is scary if not terrifying.

Btw I wanted to ask something, though not to the right thread to ask but since I am here so lets put here so I could save time. How good is Fahrenheit? Of all the games I still haven't played it yet.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #108

Hi Sandman,
Fahrenheit is an adventure game with very intersting story and a lot action elements. It's not just "pick up something and combine it with the other etc" you must fight for your life against paranormal powers. I strongly recomended...
Oh, it also has multiple endings...
Have fun...
Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #109

I found the game tiresome from the word go. I had all these godforsaken timed sequences which were probably implemented to make you fail numerous times so to make the game seem longer than it actually was.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Although why not try for yourself by downloading the demo, free:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_10034.shtml
Old 01-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #110

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
Hi all. I just can't understand companies which create first person adventures. Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost? What's good in controlling a character whom you cannot see? Also, the feeling of i.e. picking an item or using something of the inventory in first person games is dull and don't get you in the game. Just remember: Syberia, Secret Files, Agatha Christie games, or even the old ones like Quest for Glory. For these reasons I have never bought first person games, despite the interesting plots they had. I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
im going to have to agree, first person adventure games are usually about puzzles, and focus so much on those that the stories always seem like an afterthought, maybe theres some stories you can read, but the worlds always feel so empty. Sure, its pretty... but why the eff and i here and why do i care.

Last edited by Owskie; 01-24-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKANA View Post
Hi Sandman,
Fahrenheit is an adventure game with very intersting story and a lot action elements. It's not just "pick up something and combine it with the other etc" you must fight for your life against paranormal powers. I strongly recomended...
Oh, it also has multiple endings...
Have fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
I found the game tiresome from the word go. I had all these godforsaken timed sequences which were probably implemented to make you fail numerous times so to make the game seem longer than it actually was.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Although why not try for yourself by downloading the demo, free:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_10034.shtml
Thanks guys.

I actually have the game. Just cant come to play it for some reason, not even completely tried it yet. All I do is get another game & play that, like I am playing NEXT LIFE right now, with Belief & Betrayal, HCA: Ugly duckling prince & Undercover: Operation Wintersun waiting to be installed & played.

Fahrenheit is lying with them. All I need is a push.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
im going to have to agree, first person adventure games are usually about puzzles, and focus so much on those that the stories always seem like an afterthought, maybe theres some stories you can read, but the worlds always feel so empty. Sure, its pretty... but why the eff and i here and why do i care.
I dont knw why but your post brought a conclusion to 1st person & 3rd person games to my mind.

I believe its the genre & the environment of the game that demands 1st & 3rd person characters. There are games which cannot materialize without 1st person view & there are games which cannot materialize without 3rd person character. Hence, I believe we have 2 different classes of adventure games & both are here to stay.

So those who have problem with the 1st person games, just don't play them. However, once in a while a 1st person does come which is not to be missed (Like: Dracula series & Scratches).

Last edited by Sandman; 01-24-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #113

Quote:
I believe its the genre & the environment of the game that demands 3rd person characters. There are games which cannot materialize without 3rd person view & there are games which cannot materialize without 3rd person character.
That is the exact point for starting this thread. I am a huge fan of "purely investigative" and "detective style" adventure games (Syberia, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, Tunguska etc). These games cannot materialize without 3rd person view and character. Any attempts to the opposite would have (and it did) failed.

P.S.1 The tip of the iceberg was the new Sherlock Holmes game. Total disappointment. I played it for two days and I had motion sickness. I still recollect "The case of the rose tattoo". What an terrific game!
P.S.2 When I wrote "stop creating first person games" I didn't mean "kill the developers of these games". I stated my preference about the genre I described above in a more emphatic way.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
That is the exact point for starting this thread.
Sandman makes a great point in saying that certain ideas benefit from various forms of execution, whilst your first post appears to be a blatant hate message against all 1st person games without reason. At least that's how I approach a thread that reads. "stop creating first person games".
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #115

Quote:
Fahrenheit is lying with them. All I need is a push.
I had Fahrenheit sitting on my shelf for months. I bought it used for cheap and was really hesitant about it knowing that there were "mini-games" scattered throughout.

After going through the tutorial in the game (a *must* to get used to the controls and definitely remap your keyboard to how you want it) and getting used tot he controls and past the first obstacles I really got sucked into the story. It really is more of an "interactive movie" rather than a game but the story line is really good (at least I thought so). So yeah, I enjoyed it!

The mini-games are a little tedious at first but they are really easy (make sure to set them at "easy") and if you fail, you can immediately try again.

Recent Retail: The Shivah, Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Unbound, Black Mirror, Cleopatra, Culpa Innata, Secret Files, Broken Sword 1-4, Indigo Prophecy, Nostradamus, Nibiru

Recent UG: Murder in a Wheel, Nelly Cootalot, The Farm, Two of a Kind, Donnie Darko, Reactor 9, Cedric & The Revolution, 5 Days a Stranger, Something Amiss (Chp 1 & 2), Prodigal
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #116

As for 1st person versus 3rd person, as others already mentioned, some games definitely benefit from 1st person and vice versa. I don't think I would have been that immersed in a game like Scratches (or the Myst games) if it had been 3rd person. I also don't think I would have been that immersed in something like TLJ if it had been 1st person.

Recent Retail: The Shivah, Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Unbound, Black Mirror, Cleopatra, Culpa Innata, Secret Files, Broken Sword 1-4, Indigo Prophecy, Nostradamus, Nibiru

Recent UG: Murder in a Wheel, Nelly Cootalot, The Farm, Two of a Kind, Donnie Darko, Reactor 9, Cedric & The Revolution, 5 Days a Stranger, Something Amiss (Chp 1 & 2), Prodigal
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by misa View Post
I had Fahrenheit sitting on my shelf for months. I bought it used for cheap and was really hesitant about it knowing that there were "mini-games" scattered throughout.

After going through the tutorial in the game (a *must* to get used to the controls and definitely remap your keyboard to how you want it) and getting used tot he controls and past the first obstacles I really got sucked into the story. It really is more of an "interactive movie" rather than a game but the story line is really good (at least I thought so). So yeah, I enjoyed it!

The mini-games are a little tedious at first but they are really easy (make sure to set them at "easy") and if you fail, you can immediately try again.
Well thats a nice push, but it would still have to wait till I am done with the 'next life'.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #118

I'm not a big fan of first person adventures, but maybe it's because I've mainly played third person games. For some reason, if a game is first person, I lose interest immediately, and I don't feel inclined to check it out.

It probably stems from my hatred for first person shooters.

Normality is the exception to the rule. I'd love to try one, but while puzzles and obstacles are important to me, it's the story and atmosphere and sense of progress that does it for me.

So, which FPA should I try that has all these, and can run barebones on a modern VISTA pc?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #119
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well thats a nice push, but it would still have to wait till I am done with the 'next life'.
Do a search in the Adventure forums for Fahrenheit too. When that game came out, there were a million threads about it (both pro and con). We also have a review. Keep in mind too, when others are recommending games, are their game preferences similar to yours? You've seen what a wide variety of adventure gamers we have here*. The same goes for game reviewers too. Pay attention to the text of the review, and not just the score.

*Which is why a thread like this always boggles my mind. The only conclusion that's been drawn here is that some people like first person games primarily, some people only like third person games and there are those that like both. Both types of games will continue to be made. The most important thing is to know what you like to play and find those games that work for you. I personally don't give a damn if someone does or doesn't like first person games, it's not going to change the games I choose to play.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #120

I am one of the people that like both kinds of games (Hi guys! ;D). I didn't like Myst, but Riven was excellent. I really just think that they're different ways of telling a story. One is not necessarily better than the other. A "lone traveler" story such as in Myst or Riven can be just as captivating as a third-person interaction-heavy game such as Culpa Innata. It all depends on your opinion. I really think that the "FPA vs. TPA" argument is pointless, because which type of game you play is a matter of personal preference. No one is right. No one is wrong, either.