You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Please stop creating first person games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGCrazied View Post
I also hate first person adventures.. *shrug* i just like seeing the character im playing.
But I don't like seeing the character I'm playing get in the way of what I'm trying to look at or interact with.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #82

I guess it depends whether the lead character you're controlling has a great persona then?

I mean, Curse of Monkey Island wouldn't be half as funny if we didn't' see Guybrush's facials and actions during the funniest moments.

But if it's April Ryan from The Longest Journey, Gus McVerson from Post Mortem or Brian from Runaway, I wouldn't mind being in 1st person because they aren't exactly the deepest or most charming of characters.

Which then goes back to how emotionally driven the story is.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #83

yes i know some people like them and stuff...

i dont like 1st person adventure games period

especially because most have graphics and gameplay that feels like 1996...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
Hi all. I just can't understand companies which create first person adventures. Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost? What's good in controlling a character whom you cannot see? Also, the feeling of i.e. picking an item or using something of the inventory in first person games is dull and don't get you in the game. Just remember: Syberia, Secret Files, Agatha Christie games, or even the old ones like Quest for Glory. For these reasons I have never bought first person games, despite the interesting plots they had. I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
I personally don't like first person adventure games but there are still some titles of first person games which i played and i enjoyed. The story, the puzzles, the movement, the music and the graphics of each game are what they making it unique...
I just believe that if all these great first person games i played were third person it would be ideal...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #85

It all depends on the story and the puzzles. If a game is able to really draw me in, I don't mind first person at all, quite on the contrary: Some games just wouldn't work if they were 3rd person, or can anyone imagine seeing Michael strolling through that spooky house in Scratches? With the game being first person, the atmosphere is a lot creepier and spookier than it could ever be in a 3rd-person-adventure, simply because the gamer sees everything through Michael's eyes. The experience is more intense that way, especially in a horror-game. Post Mortem worked for me as well; so did Dracula, Nostradamus and Amerzone, to name a few.

That said, I must admit that generally, I prefer 3rd-person-adventures for one simple reason: I often lose my sense of direction in 1st-person-adventures (no motion sickness, though). I find it easier to pick my way through a 3rd-person-game. Another reason why I usually prefer 3rd-person-games: more people to talk to, you don't feel as if you're the last person on earth although this is not a general rule, I think. What both types have in common is a certain lack of NPCs that just walk around in the streets and create a life-like situation - most games I've played are pretty lifeless in the sense that the streets are more or less deserted. This is not a quality exclusively reserved for 1st-person-games - all four Broken Sword-games feature deserted streets, the 3rd and 4th installments of the series much more so than their predecessors.

To cut it short, I think that both types have their right to exist, that both types have their fans and that both types have something to offer. There are good 3rd-person-adventures, there are good 1st-person-adventures. And there are bad games both in 3rd and 1st person. Besides, no one compels a gamer to buy a type of game they don't want. I'm not a big fan of shooters - should the industry stop producing them? I don't think so.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #86

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
Hi all. I just can't understand companies which create first person adventures. Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost? What's good in controlling a character whom you cannot see? Also, the feeling of i.e. picking an item or using something of the inventory in first person games is dull and don't get you in the game. Just remember: Syberia, Secret Files, Agatha Christie games, or even the old ones like Quest for Glory. For these reasons I have never bought first person games, despite the interesting plots they had. I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
I'll just say I agree with ya.

Sometimes the 1st person games which have 360 degree rotation in it gives you headache. The 3rd person is classic style which can & will live through the time. As you can see much of the most favored adventure games are in 3rd person. I have only like Dracula series, Versailles & Scratches in 3rd Person. I enjoyed Dracula & Scratch because of the environment of the game itself & the environment I played in (cold lonely winter nights ). As for Versailles I was actually enjoying the palace more than the game.

Anyways; 3rd person over 1st person any given day. But lately the companies have been messing up 3rd person games as well. Just look at the "NEXT LIFE". The whole beach area is crappy. Until & unless an adventure game doesn't provide you with a location & situation which is really fun just to watch it the game doesn't settle well.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #87

Scratches, Dracula, and other similar games, it's a perfect example for 1st person games being better than 3rd person... you are right Jehane on that...
Each game has its own characteristics and gameplay. Some 3rd person games, although is my favorite mode, i can't play them e.x. Midnight Nowhere... i didn't like it at all. On the other hand Myst V was excellent...
Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKANA View Post
Scratches, Dracula, and other similar games, it's a perfect example for 1st person games being better than 3rd person... you are right Jehane on that...
Each game has its own characteristics and gameplay. Some 3rd person games, although is my favorite mode, i can't play them e.x. Midnight Nowhere... i didn't like it at all. On the other hand Myst V was excellent...
I know you & others would hate me for saying this but I hate the whole Myst series. Thats one reason why I hate the 1st person games. Never understood the game.

Dracula & Scratches will however remain the best 1st person games to have come out. I think its only the horror games that look good in 1st person as they give you full screen experience - more chances of getting scared. In 3rd person horror games will probably not survive unless you make them like Silent Hill or Resident Evil way. Come to think of it that wouldn't be a bad idea, but than we wont able to make a different as SH & RE themselves have touch of adventure in them. But who knows purely adventure game in such mode may work.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #89

Quote:
In 3rd person horror games will probably not survive unless you make them like Silent Hill or Resident Evil way.
Condemned?

Quote:
I know you & others would hate me for saying this but I hate the whole Myst series.
Not at all. I hate Myst, Riven and Myst V, but Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelation are definitely in my top 10 adventures, whilst I've never understood the hypre around The Longest Journey and Gabriel Knight.

We all like different things. Life would be pretty darn boring if that weren't the case.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #90

I had the same opinion about FPA about 5 years ago, but I after I played Dark Fall I realised that prospective and vast,character empty adventures can be very much Entertaining as TPA. So from that point on I played Myst,Zork and many other FPA adv games. For me Monkey Island is perfect adventure for its humor puzzles and fun story, not for its perspective, and I have same opinion about Zork Grand Inqstr ie.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Condemned?
???

Quote:
Not at all. I hate Myst, Riven and Myst V, but Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelation are definitely in my top 10 adventures, whilst I've never understood the hypre around The Longest Journey and Gabriel Knight.

We all like different things. Life would be pretty darn boring if that weren't the case.
Well at least I am not alone in hating Myst, although u hate only 3 of the games in 3 series

Haven't played longest journey but GK was a good game, except for the 3rd part. The 1st two games initiated my interest in adventure games, although all I did was watch my cousin play when I was a kid. I did play the GK 3 by my self but back than I had least regards for game formats, perspectives & all. Now I look back I think it sucked big time.

I don't know why but this just keeps coming back to my mind: Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Final Cut. The game is pretty old but when I look back to it & still feel it is one of the games I enjoyed a lot. Perhaps one of the best ways to a put an adventure games.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #92

I hate to Riven, Uru and also Exile. But the last two Myst games were fantastic. They were different from the previous ones. They are very good work...
The previous ones are different thing... Especially Uru... i don't won't to play this game never again...
Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #93
asian freak ;<

Send a message via MSN to Marte

I've always loved 3rd-persons over 1st-persons mostly because I actually tend to get motion-sickness from 1st-persons-views. But now I'm addicted to the Nancy Drew-games which all are 1st-person. And I don't mind at all. Maybe because those games are always very limited when it comes to places you can move to etc. And it's not like spin-spin-spin-spin-spin-dizzy! Think I've finished like 9 of the Nancy Drew games, and still got 5 in queue.

But I think still I would prefer a 3rd-person game anyday instead of a 1st-person game. I like to have an view over the character I'm playing, gives me the feeling of a good view of everything.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #94

Hi Marte,
it's true many 1st person games have this seasick filling when you try to move. Some games more then other... When i start playing the Da Vinci Secrets i had this auful feeling in my stomach but then i think i get used to it (only for this game). Now i'm playing Journey to the Moon and it's happening again...
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Condemned?

???
Sorry, I misread what you said. I thought you said horrors would not survive unless they're made 3rd person like Silent Hill and Resident Evil. 'Condemned' was used as a 1st person horror that's been hailed as one of the scariest games around.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKANA View Post
Hi Marte,
it's true many 1st person games have this seasick filling when you try to move. Some games more then other... When i start playing the Da Vinci Secrets i had this auful feeling in my stomach but then i think i get used to it (only for this game). Now i'm playing Journey to the Moon and it's happening again...
That happens when 1st person game has 360 degree rotation (which most of them have). Your brain & stomach also take 360 degree twist with it.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:58 AM   #97
Easily amused

Well, I'm one of the few here who actually prefers 1st person games. I'll play 3rd person only if there are good puzzles and minimal character interaction (eg. Keepsake). If they stopped making first person games, I would probably stop gaming all together.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I know you & others would hate me for saying this but I hate the whole Myst series. Thats one reason why I hate the 1st person games. Never understood the game.
Me neither. I've tried to play Myst and Myst III: Exile. I didn't get very far because I just didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do. This was a lot better in Myst III, mind you, but still I felt completely lost. Maybe I'll give it another try - I just want to see what the hype is all about and since those games are on the shelf... well, maybe I just need to get past the first part of the games to get into the games themselves I did enjoy the surroundings, though. Beautiful scenery.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehane View Post
Me neither. I've tried to play Myst and Myst III: Exile. I didn't get very far because I just didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do. This was a lot better in Myst III, mind you, but still I felt completely lost. Maybe I'll give it another try - I just want to see what the hype is all about and since those games are on the shelf... well, maybe I just need to get past the first part of the games to get into the games themselves I did enjoy the surroundings, though. Beautiful scenery.
I have tried them over & over ... just cant get too far either. Surroundings were beautiful but that is not enough for a game. May be I should try again after seeing the hype here.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #100
Super Moderator

Why try to force yourself to play something that isn't right for you? Because the games have worked for others, doesn't mean that they will necessarily work for you.

Also, there's more to first person games than a Myst-like game (puzzle heavy, no inventory, no other characters). The Tex Murphy games are first person and I know of people who don't typically play first person perspective games that love those.