You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Please stop creating first person games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
And Oprah's fans are more than discovery chanel's viewers but this doesn't mean oprah has more quality. Sales isn't a benchmark revealing the quality of a game
Who said anything about quality?

You asked why they still make 1st person games and I gave you a compelling reason.

Sales.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #22
Templar Knight

Send a message via AIM to Tomi Send a message via MSN to Tomi

Quote:
Good story, nice graphics, nice sound... What else do you want?
Sane puzzles would be nice (inventory combinations).
Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
Monkeyboy

I loved the Tex Murphy series, even though I usually stear clear of 1st person ag's. And I hated Myst. Only goes to show that the story being told is far more important than point of view, graphics or inventory handling.

Last edited by Jonatan; 01-09-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #24
Super Moderator

This is a statement to everyone. If you would like to discuss the idea of perspective in a game or other game related things - fine. But there will be no more dissing of people's posts, insulting each other or picking at each other to start a fight.

Consider that your one and ONLY warning.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #25
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

This thread is making baby Squinky cry.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #26
One for the road?

The problem I have with most 3rd person games is simply this: Watching badly animated characters trudging from one superfluous hotspot to another ("It's just a window." I can see it's a window. You could've told me that from the other side of the screen!) bores me. To an extent that causes me to exit the game, in some cases.

Broken Sword 2 allowed George to describe his surroundings from the spot he was standing in. Of course, his walking speed was still that of octogenarian with a loose colostomy bag, but at least he didn't have to lurch over to every little thing you wanted him to look at.

A lot of current third-person adventure games persist in this time-wasting design mechanic. Not all, though. Secret Files allowed you to teleport to location exits by way of double-clicking. Syberia at least allowed your character to run, if you so desired. But in most cases you're forced to endure these mini-expeditions to nowhere in their soul-crushing entirety.

Telling a story doesn't have to include massive amounts of walking in silence, does it?

On the subject of "immersion", I like first-person games especially for that reason.

Note: A first-person adventure doesn't have to be a Myst clone. First-person adventures are usually Myst clones simply because Myst clones are perplexingly popular.

And game developers/publishers are lazy.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #27
Adventure Newbie

Quote:
That's not my point. How old are you? 13?
Subject Title: "Please stop creating first person games"

Please, for the sake of all that is holy, explain to me how this is not your point. And thanks for the flattery; I'm 9 years old.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #28

First person adventure games are cheaper to produce because they require very, very little animation on the part of the developers. It's also why the ratio of total crap to genuinely good games is terrible. Any hack can afford to release one.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #29
tsa
Playing character

Interesting thread, this. I love first person games, because they give you the impression that YOU experience the adventure, rather than some puppet on the screen. I play MystOnline often. There you have the choice to play in first or third person. Guess what I always use

g_sakil, you sound like someone we had here before who never played 3D adventures because ' many 3D games are dull and sensless shooting around and they don't have anything that requires thinking'. Please make sure you know what you're talking about before posting bold statements like you did.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #30
merely human

Quote:
Hi all. I just can't understand companies which create first person adventures. Don't they see that by doing that all the magic of the game is lost? What's good in controlling a character whom you cannot see? Also, the feeling of i.e. picking an item or using something of the inventory in first person games is dull and don't get you in the game. Just remember: Syberia, Secret Files, Agatha Christie games, or even the old ones like Quest for Glory. For these reasons I have never bought first person games, despite the interesting plots they had. I believe the majority of players has the same attitude.
Just because you don't like first person adventures doesn't mean EVERYONE else should stop liking them. I like good, intelligent, and well designed games. That stated, such games could take on any form, including first person adventures.

Where exactly do you get this belief that the majority of players has the same attitude as you?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Sane puzzles would be nice (inventory combinations).
And for only one reason you call Secret Files one of the worst adventure games ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpingFish View Post
The problem I have with most 3rd person games is simply this: Watching badly animated characters trudging from one superfluous hotspot to another ("It's just a window." I can see it's a window. You could've told me that from the other side of the screen!) bores me. To an extent that causes me to exit the game, in some cases.

As you said, not all though

Note: A first-person adventure doesn't have to be a Myst clone. First-person adventures are usually Myst clones simply because Myst clones are perplexingly popular.

And game developers/publishers are lazy.
You are right about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
I loved the Tex Murphy series, even though I usually stear clear of 1st person ag's. And I hated Myst. Only goes to show that the story being told is far more important than point of view, graphics or inventory handling.
Thanks for the support. And yes, maybe Tex Murphy is the golden exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
First person adventure games are cheaper to produce because they require very, very little animation on the part of the developers. It's also why the ratio of total crap to genuinely good games is terrible. Any hack can afford to release one.
The truth will prevail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Just because you don't like first person adventures doesn't mean EVERYONE else should stop liking them. I like good, intelligent, and well designed games. That stated, such games could take on any form, including first person adventures.

Where exactly do you get this belief that the majority of players has the same attitude as you?
Ask any player his Top-10 games : the vast majority is third person games
Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Yeah, but that's just a question of math, really - there are just more (good) third person games on the market.

EDIT: I'm not saying that gamers necessarily like first person games as much as they like third person ones, but the top-10 lists would definately look a bit different, if there were more first person games to chose from. As it is, there are not that many on the market, and the majority are Myst-type games, and they obviously don't appeal to everyone.

Last edited by Jannik; 01-10-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
Yeah, but that's just a question of math, really - there are just more (good) third person games on the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

You asked why they still make 1st person games and I gave you a compelling reason.

Sales.

Don't the above reveal a paradox?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #34
The Quiet One

I don't mind first person adventures either. I do much prefer 3rd person though. I like to see the character i'm playing and normally there are more characters to interact with in 3rd person than 1st. I'm not a big fan of Myst type games (although i own the box set) because of lack of character interaction, big logic/brainteaser puzzles and loads of reading. Although i'll probably play through them all with a walkthrough just to see the beautifully rendered worlds and unravel the stories.

There are some first person adventures that i like though. I found Scratches enjoyable, Barrow Hill was so-so for me, Titanic is a classic means i grew up playing that and i even found the demo of Post Mortem interesting. So, no. I don't think developers should stop making 'em. If they do all the right things i find them just as enjoyable to play as 3rd person adventures.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

Sales.
Quote:
Don't the above reveal a paradox?
No, not really.

Lucien21's two comments was - as I interpretate it - answers to your initial post; why companies still produce first person games. His answer to that was: Because they can still sell them. And that's of course true, they can.

I was commenting on your statement, that only a few people have first person games on their top-10 lists. The answer to that was: Because there are fewer first person games on the market, and the diversity is limited (there's an overweight of Myst-type games).

So the points combined are: It is still profitable for the game companies to produce first person games, but because of the limited diversity, it's somewhat of a niche genre. But not necessarily a small niche; after all there are still released about a handful first person games every year.

Last edited by Jannik; 01-10-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #36
Flower bower bird

Quote:
My top 10 list has all first person games save one. I cut my gaming teeth on first person games, but I also like a good game of any ilk.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #37

I’m not sure if it’s about first person, second or third. I think it’s more about how well it is done. I loved Syberia and TLJ and am finding games like BS 4 to be perfectly fine for drawing me in. Still, nothing beats the first person game of Riven for drawing me into an atmosphere that feels so real.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #38
Templar Knight

Send a message via AIM to Tomi Send a message via MSN to Tomi

Quote:
And for only one reason you call Secret Files one of the worst adventure games ever?
One of worst adventures i ever played, yes. And I would call any game that stopped me from playing it that.

I think that the 3rd person is still living in the glory of old lucasarts/sierra games, since I can't seem to find any recent good games (2007), except Sherlock. The 1st person was introduced to gamers through Myst, and too many Myst-like games were produced, I see that the Kheops is trying to make a difference and I have to say that the recent titles were very enjoyable.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #39
Vigilant

I absolutely despise first person adventure games because they tend to break the suspension of reality in a game. Moving about in segmented frames always put a hinder on my interest in games regardless of their story and I really can't think of many first person a's that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. Also, I tend to like environments that are filled with life and characters. First person a's are often lacking characters for reasons the plot may supply, or may not.

There is something of an anomoly set in place where nowadays, third person adventures tend to have a higher production value than first person adventure games. Also, I don't know many an adventure game set in the first person that incorperate fictional environments like the enrapturing world of Manny Calavera or the ever enjoyable worlds of Space Quest. It all tends to be a completely straightforward real to semi-real environ with no divergence of setting or character.

However, I know that there is still a fan base here for them and I respect that. I sometimes even envy all of you for being able to play those kind of games....games that I might never be able to love, let alone play.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
One of worst adventures i ever played, yes. And I would call any game that stopped me from playing it that.
OK. In the same manner, if you meet a woman who is a true goodess in beauty you will ditch her because she has large feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
I absolutely despise first person adventure games because they tend to break the suspension of reality in a game. Moving about in segmented frames always put a hinder on my interest in games regardless of their story and I really can't think of many first person a's that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. Also, I tend to like environments that are filled with life and characters. First person a's are often lacking characters for reasons the plot may supply, or may not.

There is something of an anomoly set in place where nowadays, third person adventures tend to have a higher production value than first person adventure games. Also, I don't know many an adventure game set in the first person that incorperate fictional environments like the enrapturing world of Manny Calavera or the ever enjoyable worlds of Space Quest. It all tends to be a completely straightforward real to semi-real environ with no divergence of setting or character.
I absolutely agree with you