You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Darkness Within...what do YOU think?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #1

Default Darkness Within...what do YOU think?

I just read AG's review of Darkness Within and it's pretty bad. I was really looking forward to this game but now I'm not so sure. Anyone play it yet? Is it really that bad?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #2

I thought it was a nice little game even if it's a little rough around the edges Kept me playing until the end (used a walkthrough for some of it though) Give it a try, I bought it from the Adventure shop and don't regret it.

Edit: and yes, my personal rating: ***1/2 , I thought the review was a little unfair
Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Backsliding Pagan

I think that many game reviewers have higher expectations than people who are just playing a game for fun--having written critical reviews of restaurants, books, and films, I know that the reviewer feels a certain responsibility to the consumer, who pays a certain amount of his or her hard-earned cash for the privilege of enjoying the product. The reviewer feels obligated to point out the flaws as well as the successful elements in order to fully inform the person considering the purchase. I always add at least half a point to any review. Unless it's a total pan, in which case, I trust the reviewer.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #4

I've made it through most of the game and so far it's violently surpassed what I expected from it. I'm an utter sucker for anything lovecraftian though so it really struck home with me. The only negative thing I can really say about it is that the puzzles are sometimes a bit too hazy. The five round disc thing comes to mind.

I largely agree with the AG review but some elements didn't strike me as flaws. For instance the game is a bit inpersonal, however I think it adds to the feeling of being isolated. You're entirely alone and your walls of sanity are crumbling around you. Having people around to talk to would quickly rupture the feeling.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #5

I have recently completed the game and I must say I enjoyed it
Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #6

played the game recently and liked it , it was challenging and wellmade, sometimes from previews of a game we expect too much from it and then again it's a matter of personal taste, but i'd definitely give it a good ranking
anna
Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #7

Same goes here. I believe I'm not exagerrating if I mark it as an excellent choice to play. Beginning with the smooth and drifting ambient music (yes, I'm darkwave fan), moreover logical puzzles with scattered clues all over the game and ending with horror aspect it definately chilled down my spine.
It's admirable to see how small team of Turkish developers can breed such a quality title.

I have been quite snapped to read mostly bad reviews as this game has nice potencial for the future. For now I'm eagerly awaiting its successors.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #8

It's a decent enough adventure and a good choice for the horrorfan.
One of the things you notice is that the developers clearly made it out of love for the genre.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruithead View Post
I just read AG's review of Darkness Within and it's pretty bad. I was really looking forward to this game but now I'm not so sure. Anyone play it yet? Is it really that bad?
Why not download the demo from gamershell.com and decide for yourself?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I'm not sure why Darkness Within has gotten such a harsh reaction, it's a nice little horror game. The puzzles are a little iffy sometimes but if you can look past that you should get drawn in with the cool story and tense atmosphere. It's definetely better than some other recent Lovecraft inspired games (Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, I'm looking in your direction) so if you're a fan of the author I see no reason why you wouldn't like this game.

I'd also like to mention that having played the demo, it doesn't leave a very good impression but the full game is much better.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #11

I enjoyed Darkness Within. However, I can see why a lot of folks wouldn't. The plot pretty much unfolds only so much as to allow the player to move forward in the game. You can easily miss a good 85% of the entire story if you don't pick apart and read everything you find. And to be honest, even if you manage to find and read all of the clues, some things just don't make sense by the end. There are some Lovecraftian themes running throughout the game, but in my view they tended to take a back seat.

The puzzles are pretty well spread out across the difficulty scale. I personally didn't feel like they were the problem so much as the thought/clue system. It was never fully implemented and I'd argue that it made clumsy and difficult tasks that could have easily been completed without it.
Such as...
Spoiler:
...in Nolder's office, when you're comparing the photos to the actual crime scene.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #12

I have just started this game, it takes a while to get familiar with any game, but it seems ok ...I'll report back when I've gone a bit further.

Thanx for your reviews guys
Old 12-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #13

I think it's a really good adventure!
The puzzles are sometimes not very clear about "what am I supposed to do?" part...but it's managble (or lookable on a walkthough ).

The story is not very deep (you investigate the case of a missing person, basically)...but the atmosphere and the mood are so strong that they could hit you in the face ^_^
And for a horror adventure like this one, that's one of the most important things!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #14
Dark fall fan

Send a message via MSN to Big Al
Default Darkness within

I got this game and the patch is on the new. I dl it but still it needs a new one!!
Everytime i have to arrange the video settings and resolution
Now it began to crash everytime( windows has.. an eror,,,)
and the graphics is like grany
some bug that mixes the textures (like in the office)

so what you think of the game, i got high expectations and a fan of Lovecraft but im frustrated by these things
Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #15

The Game ist only the first part of a triology. So some missing informations will show up in the next part (as told in the forum of zoetrope).
I loved the allusions to Lovecraft !!
The game has a very subtly way to create horror or to disclose informations: its all in your mind, dear!!!
What I mean: the horror comes from you knowing and understandig the story, which is revealed only to the ones who associate the different kinds of informations – sometime hard work, , but always fair and logical.
For me it is a game that affects and operates profound – like Lovecrafts storys. So it a great bow in front of a master and a successful conversion of his storys.
Uuuh, did i mention I loved it??
Old 01-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #16

I loved this game. I'm a big Lovecraft fan and I thought this game captured his sense of gloomy locations and vague horrors perfectly. The atmosphere was fantastically creepy, I loved the way the camera would shudder to give the impression of danger, or the sense of hopelessness and terror you felt when everything went first blurry and then black. I took careful notes and only needed a walkthrough once or twice. I liked the fact that you had to be patient and read and listen to everything exhaustively, i thought it made it more authentic from a Lovecraftian point of view. I'm thrilled to hear it's the first of a trilogy and I look forward to the upcoming chapters.