• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 4 October 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I played Cing’s Again something like two years ago, but I remember very little about it. You’re a detective with the ability to have flashes of how the murders were committed when you find the right trigger. And it has some horribly cheesy FMV characters. And that’s pretty much all I remember. I don’t think I liked it much.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Played this a few months ago. I wrote this in the “Last finished game”-thread after I played it:

TimovieMan -

Again - 3.5 / 5

Again is very much like Cing’s other games Hotel Dusk and Last Window, yet very different. You hold the DS sideways again, the dialogue system is similar, there’s a recap pop quiz at the end of every chapter, moving around is similar, etc., but the animation style is very different (hand drawn vs. real stills), the feel is a lot different (no noir here), and unfortunately the story is severely lacking towards its conclusion…

The good:
- holding the DS sideways (like a book) is a feature that I like
- by using stills and small movements of real actors, the game not only looks good, but gives a realistic feel to it all
- very interesting premise that grabbed my attention early on
- the psychic element offers some superb gameplay and the accompanying grainy FMV adds to the great production values
- unlike in Hotel Dusk and Last Window, the end-of-chapter “quiz” is integrated a lot better
- decent suspenseful music (if somewhat repetitive)

The bad:
- too few psychic moments (they’re too good gameplay-wise to be used so sparingly)
- the main characters are clueless: lots of plot twists are obvious well in advance, but the main characters remain oblivious until slapped in the face
- the ending doesn’t live up to the massive potential that the premise held
- unnecessary cliffhanger makes the game feel somewhat unfinished

What started out as a great game slowly went downhill. The game looks gorgeous, the premise is great, the psychic moments offer some great gameplay, but the longer the game lasts, the dumber the main characters appear to be, and the ending is just ludicrous. Not only are the plot twists obvious from miles away, but the conclusion makes far too little sense. This is a crying shame because there was a lot of potential to the story.

Thinking back to it now, I wonder why on earth I gave it a 3.5/5 instead of a 3/5, and why I didn’t mention that the FMV actors made it *look* realistic but that they were all overacting to the point of pure cheese. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top