• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

So you want to Quest for Glory?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Now to start a playthrough of the Quest for Glory series.
The famous Sierra hybrid designed by Corey and Lori Ann Cole. It started than all the other big series but didn’t waste any time and got to 5 games with some considering the best Sierra has to offer. A mix of RPG/adventure not seen many times after, using a class RPG character creator:

The Fighter

The Magic User

The Thief

Mostly a fresh start for me, I played through random games in the series but never got much far in it. Spent a lot of time in the selection screen no idea which one to go and where to use points.

First game- Quest for Glory: So you want to be a hero?

Playing the EGA version, going for magic user.

As always, the more the merrier so join me and Advie playing through this or just comments are very appreciated.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I reached Erasmus wizard guy up that small cliff he talks funny but since I am thief I don’t think there is anything I can do with him… I can’t remember much of the game.. that’s good right?  Content

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 28 April 2017 04:45 PM

I reached Erasmus wizard guy up that small cliff he talks funny but since I am thief I don’t think there is anything I can do with him… I can’t remember much of the game.. that’s good right?  Content

He tells you about the magic mirror and who has it but you won’t really need that bit of info since you’re playing the VGA version which auto-solves that puzzle for you. I’m pretty sure that’s all for non-magic-users.

Also, yay QfG playthroughs! Looking forward to reading you guys’ comments. (I’m not playing along, though I’m tempted.)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I might pop here on and off yapping about the games, but I did do a while ago a bit longer write up about them on my blog. Here’s my entry about QFG1: http://playernone.blogspot.fi/2016/03/sierra-quest-quest-for-glory-1.html

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

By the way, wilco, make sure you read the Famous Adventurer’s Correspondence School (FACS, 12345 Aeris Way, Silmaria) guidebook for each game. They’re hilarious and also contain essential information.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 28 April 2017 05:00 PM

I might pop here on and off yapping about the games, but I did do a while ago a bit longer write up about them on my blog. Here’s my entry about QFG1: http://playernone.blogspot.fi/2016/03/sierra-quest-quest-for-glory-1.html

Nice, will read it after

Kurufinwe - 28 April 2017 05:13 PM

By the way, wilco, make sure you read the Famous Adventurer’s Correspondence School (FACS, 12345 Aeris Way, Silmaria) guidebook for each game. They’re hilarious and also contain essential information.

Ok, only read the manual but also going to have a look at this. Gog also seems to have it.

This is my first build (after already doing a couple of things). Spent points in Intelligence and magic but maybe not enough for a magic user…

Spent a lot of the silver buying the open spell

And to start the journey of the hero!

First, get drunk!

Second, clean the stables…

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

I might try to tag along; I’ve never played any of the QfG series.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 28 April 2017 07:22 PM

This is my first build (after already doing a couple of things). Spent points in Intelligence and magic but maybe not enough for a magic user…

Your stats can go up to 100 (and then 200 in Qfg2, 300 in QfG3, etc.), so 5 extra points here or there aren’t going to make a lot of difference. Your build’s mostly fine, although you’ll wish your vitality were higher early on. Do try to raise it ASAP by running, fighting, etc. More vitality = more health and stamina = less dying.

(I don’t think it’s ever explained in-game, but the formulae are:
Health = (Strength + 2*Vitality) / 3
Stamina = (Vitality + Agility) / 2
Mana = (Magic + Intelligence) / 2
)

Spent a lot of the silver buying the open spell

You chose… poorly. Tongue (But you can’t know that on your first playthrough. Don’t worry about it.)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Open spell works just fine, as you can solve some puzzles with it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The open spell was the cheapest and thought it could be useful to open so doors but not much use so far. Although I’m still just exploring around to see how it plays. I’ve had 3 enemy encounters and was wasted in all of them so I’m just trying to avoid them for now. (also have to read the EGA manual since I think I’m missing some things)

Kurufinwe - 29 April 2017 04:52 AM

(I don’t think it’s ever explained in-game, but the formulae are:
Health = (Strength + 2*Vitality) / 3
Stamina = (Vitality + Agility) / 2
Mana = (Magic + Intelligence) / 2
)

That’s useful, didn’t see any reference to it in-game

br305893 - 28 April 2017 08:47 PM

I might try to tag along; I’ve never played any of the QfG series.

Welcome aboard

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

tomimt - 29 April 2017 06:39 AM

Open spell works just fine, as you can solve some puzzles with it.

Fetch is a better investment, because it allows you to retrieve the healer’s ring and get rich early on. And flame dart lets you murder goblins and thus also get rich. Open, on the other hand, is kinda useless in the early game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kuru is encyclopedia with QfG it seems.
but anyhow i just love the Sierra squad around here, Wilco, Tomimt, Advie and Kuru, we are always around when Sierra AGs are apparent here..  who are you guys on the FB fan page?, i have a feeling i know who Tomimt is

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m tempted to join in with this once I’m finished Technobabylon as I’ve owned the series forever but I’m concerned about playing anything except pure adventure.  Scary!

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

to you guys who have never played the qfg games, wow : i envy you so much lol.

for me qfg still holds the title for best game franchise ever created.  i play them all every year and this post made me want to again lol.  my favorite is the ega original. love these games!!! Grin

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A quick and small update since I havent’s played much in the weekend.
Just went exploring and found a bunch of stuff (Erana’s place; a talking tree; a magic house with a gargoyle asking questions; a giant guarding the mountain entrance)
Didn’t solve anything yet but won a battle (by buton-mashing…), time to get back to town and start taking notes this time.

@advie
I don’t use FB

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t think I’ve ever been on a Sierra FB fan page. I can’t recall at least, so I haven’t been terribly active on that in any case.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top