• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Carles

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Welcome Bookworms!

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2017-03-23

PM

Hi there fellow adventure lovers!
I`d like to introduce you to myself and my personal WIP project “Bookworms”

Above: One of many backgrounds in its work progress.

Above: Main Character Laura in the games early environments.

An audience with this King will be unavoidable…

I`m Nellie Johansson, and I create from my mind in the centre of beautiful Sweden!
The idea of bookworms started out as some loving sketches in my notebook, and then just flooded.
I needed to make a game about this little world unfolding in the pages and, being a developer, THAT is what I set out to do.
I began the actual work of Bookworms in the spring of 2015 beside my job as an hired artist at Zoink - Gothenburg.

Me at the office last summer, creating life from my mind. Mohaha! ( I still haven`t cooled down.)

I have played adventure games and loved animated movies all my life and all that which that have given me I hope to give with
Bookworms. Monkey Island, Kings Quest and many more from days gone by and Night of the Rabbit,and Blackwell from today, are all
beautiful games which have filled my head with joy throughout the years. Get caught in a universe, like when you fall right into
the wonderful world of Ghibli for example THAT is joy. I want to bring that joy to gamers in colourful 2D hand-animation.

*About the game itself*
You play as Laura, the young protagonist in our world that is suffering from an overall collapse. Society seems to slowly fall apart
with, people disapearing, no new ideas and memories fading away. But Why?
Nobody knows. In all this Laura is trying to run the family bookshop and Book restoration firm while taking care
of her sick grandmother.

One day though, Lauras world changes as a mysterious man arrives at the bookstore and leaves her with a book.
When it opens… London fades away, and Laura finds herself in a library, accompanied by the mysterious chronicler.
She finds out that there are far more worlds than ours, suffering from similar problems. Each represented by a book in the Chroniclers library.
He tells you that something is destroying the worlds from within, and he needs YOU to help him fix it.

As Laura you travel through the worlds searching for the cause of their decay, acompanied by your faithful cat Scruffy
and guided by the Chronicler and his assistants. It is set in a mostly colourful 2D setting of diferent types, and with many
characters to get to know. Want cute animals? There are bunnies! Want some muscles? There are Bikers too! Bikers and Bunnies…

Current state: In progress.
Platform: PC.
Categories: Adventure, Point-and-Click, Puzzle, Indie
Genre: Storybook

I will update here everyother day, so if you think Bookworms might be the next thing for you, or just want to hang out.
Join me!

Also find me on…
https://twitter.com/Nebirvi
http://nebirvi.tumblr.com/

With love - Nellie!

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

It looks very promising. I find the art style very appealing and am very interested to see more :-D.

Good luck!

Joined 2017-03-23

PM

Bitano: Happy to hear it! Smile I’ll keep the blog updated when I´m not busy “Bookworming” so stick around! ^^ - N

Total Posts: 4253

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Good luck with your project, Nellie!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1076

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

All fine but how big is your team?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2017-03-23

PM

Zobraks: Thanks for the support! Smile

Gabe: I started as a one woman power house and I am still the one responsible for art, animation and writing of the game. I am currently working with a musician who shows great promise and a close friend of mine helps out with the scripting. The project is still young though, so as time goes we will get what we need Smile
-N

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Adventure game heroes who run bookshops are the best Smile

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Hi Nelli, it’s a very similar plot to last year’s game “Tales”. I wonder have you played that game? If not it might be a good idea to avoid a too similar theme. Otherwise good luck with your project!

Joined 2017-03-23

PM

Phlebas: I agree Wink

BitingWit: Haven´t heard of actually, can´t seem to find it either… Meh but I will check it out if I do!

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

The Art looks promising, nice atmosphere, curious to hear how the story develops :-)

As for Tales, BitingWit means: http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/26475

Total Posts: 4253

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Nebirvi - 24 March 2017 09:31 AM

Zobraks: Thanks for the support! Smile

You’re welcome. I’m a sucker for cartoony adventure games and I really like the graphics style of the game you’re making.

Not to mention that I’m a major bookworm.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Love the art style as well! Promising start!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Very interesting project Nellie, good luck with it and keep us posted.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2017-03-23

PM

TimovieMan / Abnaxus : Thanks guys! I sure will keep you posted as often as I can!

Joined 2017-03-23

PM

Hi guys! So lately I’ve been working on Lauras animations for the demo I´m working on at the moment. Her walk animation is now fully finished and the work on other animations has begun, like the pickup animation. Because what would a point and click be without pockets full of loot!

No worries, I’ll keep them posts coming! ;D - N

Joined 2017-03-23

PM

So who is this Laura figure anyway?
Tall, Dark, Mysterious… not really. But she is quite a girl anyway!And she is our Protagonist! A young Librarian who lives in the outskirts of London alongside her Grandmother above their Book Restoration firm where they sell and restore old books. She’s currently in a tight spot, without much money, and her grandmother is in a deep coma. But Laura is optimistic and has a lively imagination to keep her going. As company she has her British short hair Scruffy ( a cat with a royal bloodline…) and of course hundreds of dusty books.

The Journey of Laura is not all a straight line though. In the Sketches I made in early 2015 “she” was a “he” and so it was for quite some time. From old school, to big head, to hipster… I was really comfy with the latest male design, and I might just as well have kept it, BUT a little something in my gut told me to try something new, and so I did a drastic change that turned out even more likable to me than what I had before.

Now, female redhead Laura is what I’m working with, and changes might still come, but the female version of our protagonist is here to stay!

BAM! Haircut! O.O ( Ready for Demo )

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top