• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Who was the third greatest old school graphic adventure company in your opinion?

Poll: 3rd greatest
Total Votes: 31
Revolution
Infogrames
Westwood
Microprose
Psygnosis
Access Software
Other

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 February 2017 05:21 PM

yea and see how many times i ignored you while trying to intimidate me, now go del your posts too, RUN!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Advie and Karlok, you’re both acting like children. Again. Knock it the hell off. Misbehaving children are given time-outs.

And to answer the thread topic: Legend by a country mile.

(Cyan was certainly not “old-school” when Myst launched, but since that happened back in 1993 and countless clones have followed over the years, at this point it’s not unreasonable to consider it as such. Perhaps we need old, older, oldest school designations? Tongue)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Aint that just right

then Myst is old School, LucasArts older School, Sierra oldest School Grin

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You do all realize that Cyan had games before Myst, right?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jackal - 27 February 2017 09:45 PM

(Cyan was certainly not “old-school” when Myst launched, but since that happened back in 1993 and countless clones have followed over the years, at this point it’s not unreasonable to consider it as such. Perhaps we need old, older, oldest school designations? Tongue)

I can’t prove it of course, but I’m convinced that this is the first time the term old-school was used on these forums for Myst, a Mystian game or Cyan.

Oscar - 28 February 2017 01:26 AM

You do all realize that Cyan had games before Myst, right?

I don’t get it, what do you mean? They made a few puzzle games for children. I remember one title, The Manhole, because it was used as a sort of Easter Egg in Obduction. Does that qualify or disqualify Cyan as “old-school” in your opinion?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 28 February 2017 07:11 AM

I don’t get it, what do you mean? They made a few puzzle games for children. I remember one title, The Manhole, because it was used as a sort of Easter Egg in Obduction. Does that qualify or disqualify Cyan as “old-school”?

Well, Jackal said “Cyan was certainly not old-school when Myst was released”. I don’t see the relevance. Sierra was not old-school when Mask of Eternity was released either.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 28 February 2017 07:13 AM

I don’t get it, what do you mean? They made a few puzzle games for children. I remember one title, The Manhole, because it was used as a sort of Easter Egg in Obduction. Does that qualify or disqualify Cyan as “old-school”?

Well, Jackal said “Cyan was certainly not old-school when Myst was released”. I don’t see the relevance. Sierra was not old-school when Mask of Eternity was released either.

The difference is, I doubt anyone would seriously argue that Cyan’s pre-Myst games make it one of the greatest adventure companies—which is supposed to be the topic of this thread.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 28 February 2017 07:13 AM

I think he was responding to my comment that Myst created a watershed at the time (which in my opinion contributed a lot to the later use of the term old-school to differentiate the classics from Mystian games) and therefore cannot be called old-school.

The Manhole was, from what I understand, a fully fledged adventure.

Yeah, I guess they were adventure games for children.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 28 February 2017 07:26 AM

The Manhole was, from what I understand, a fully fledged adventure.

Yeah, I guess they were adventure games for children.

As were the majority of Sierra’s catalogue.

But I probably shouldn’t talk about The Manhole. I haven’t played it.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

Anyone who thinks any games released in the 20th century aren’t “old school” is an old fart hopelessly stuck in the past. Look at a calendar. It’s 2017. The world has moved on, even if you haven’t.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go feed the punch cards into the mainframe so I can play Colossal Cave Adventure and Maze War...

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Good Lord, I think some of you people spend more time arguing about meaningless labels than you do playing games. Wink

I wouldn’t personally classify Cyan as old school because I lived through their pioneering days. But the fact is, Myst came out 24 years ago and has been endlessly copied ever since. At this point, it very much belongs to the older “generation”, let’s say, of adventure games.

If we had the Aggies way back in ‘93, Myst would have been squarely in our “non-traditional” category. Now it’s utterly traditional. Times change, ways of discussing the past are allowed to change too.

I mean, is “classic rock” still the sole domain of the ‘70s?

Advie - 28 February 2017 01:10 AM

Nah, in this model, Myst would be old school, LucasArts and Sierra older school, and Infocom the oldest school.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Old school rock is Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Have been in 1997, and now in 2017. Hasn’t changed a bit. And music history goes way back than video games.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jackal - 28 February 2017 12:58 PM

Good Lord, I think some of you people spend more time arguing about meaningless labels than you do playing games. Wink

Advie - 28 February 2017 01:10 AM

Nah, in this model, Myst would be old school, LucasArts and Sierra older school, and Infocom the oldest school.

If you’re saying the term “graphic adventure” in the title of this thread is a meaningless label, I have to disagree. Infocom only produced text adventures, even though graphics were added to two of them.

Time for me to get back to playing Infocom’s A Mind Forever Voyaging.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 28 February 2017 01:36 PM

Old school rock is Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Have been in 1997, and now in 2017. Hasn’t changed a bit. And music history goes way back than video games.

No, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beasty Boys are old school now. Led Zeppelin is classical music or something Tongue

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 28 February 2017 01:57 PM
diego - 28 February 2017 01:36 PM

No, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beasty Boys are old school now. Led Zeppelin is classical music or something Tongue

Yeah, I wonder how many more HUNDREDS year will pass until we call The Beatless, and not Mozart, classical music. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top