• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Who was the third greatest old school graphic adventure company in your opinion?

Poll: 3rd greatest
Total Votes: 31
Revolution
Infogrames
Westwood
Microprose
Psygnosis
Access Software
Other

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i never get into discussions where there is opinion-versus-opinion at these forums anymore, it always leads to undesired results, but ALL i can say that old school is not restricted to 3rd person perspective and 1st person adventures mostly lead to ....

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 26 February 2017 09:44 PM

i never get into discussions where there is opinion-versus-opinion at these forums anymore,

You don’t? Let me refresh your memory.

Advie: i don’t get it, isn’t it Cyan, without any polls or thinking even? or am i missing something here?

it always leads to undesired results, but ALL i can say that old school is not restricted to 3rd person perspective and 1st person adventures mostly lead to ....

...mostly lead to what?

Cyan made and still makes Mystian games.
Myst created a watershed.
Mystian games are not the equivalent of 1st-person games.
There were 1st-person games before Myst.
Like Maupiti Island. Or Rise of the Dragon.
You can call them old-school if you want, who cares.
Cyan is not old school.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

On the topic of Cyan Inc… while they are still making essentially the same game as they did in 1994, this looks kinda old school to me.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Coktel Vision, but I voted Revolution. Both of them are certainly the best European studios devoted to adventure games.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

In asking the question of what is the third greatest, I am assuming he/she is thinking that Sierra and Lucas Arts are numbers 1 and 2? And they just want to know what most people think is next to them? Revolution is the next best thing to Sierra and Lucas arts for me. I love those Broken Sword games.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Even if Cyan counts they don’t really compare to Legend, the library is not diverse enough since it’s all about Myst variations. Same goes for Revolution that got stuck in Broken Sword games although they do have BaSS and In Cold Blood that are good so I would probably make them top 5 or something

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you guys need some lessons in adventure gaming history (oh i am gonna make some friends angry…  guys! don’t give up on me) Foot in mouth

The great has only the meaning of being the inspiration and the book of rules for whatever came after until this day, whether Coktel Vision, Revolution, or Legend they didnt make any rules that were followed by companies like Daedalic or WadjetEye ... and others, nevermind the distance or years.
i would stand against Revolution for standing up on Broken Sword glory all those years but Cyan standing on Myst glory .. is defiantly different, Cyan if didnt give Riven or Obduction its still a so great company for giving something so newly and so fresh in light of the Sierra and LucasArts glories and made them both twirl around themselves trying to figure out ‘what the hell has happened and how they can we give a game that could compete and sell as much’,they were/are the three great companies at the adventure gaming (nevermind who is the first) . .. maybe this thread should have gone with ‘what is the Fourth Great ... and all suggestions would be valid .

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Advie - 27 February 2017 12:59 PM

maybe this thread should have gone with ‘what is the Fourth Great ... and all suggestion would be valid .

Still wouldn’t work Advie because, for me, Sierra may just creep into my personal top 10 (only really liked 2 of their games and my favourite was actually a 90’s space sim called Outpost) and Cyan would be nowhere close as I couldn’t stand Myst, any of its follow-ups or clones. Lucas Arts would be there or thereabouts though.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

when Jabod step in i know its serious Tongue
forget about it Jabod, but i can add that people still can’t differentiate between Greatest and Favorites?

i had a thread about this lost in oblivion, but who cares.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 February 2017 12:59 PM

you guys need some lessons in adventure gaming history (oh i am gonna make some friends angry…  guys! don’t give up on me) Foot in mouth

I don’t know about your friends, but I am laughing at this attempt of yours to lecture us on what we should believe. Lessons in adventure gaming history? I was playing adventure games when you were still in diapers. Laughing

The great has only the meaning being the inspiration and the book of rules for whatever came after until this day,

No, it’s simply *your* view of what the word “great” means in this thread. Just look at the title: Who was the third greatest old school graphic adventure company in your opinion? Other posters have different opinions.

forget about it Jabod, but i can add that people still can’t differentiate between Greatest and Favorites?

LOL! Yeah, people are so incredible stupid. It’s appalling. Some don’t even know the difference between “old school” and “newly and fresh”.

i had a thread about this lost in oblivion, but who cares.

Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

old school is my middle name, now go fiddle in some dirt and obscure stuff like you.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 February 2017 04:02 PM

old school is my middle name, now go fiddle in some dirt and obscure stuff like you.

Just ensuring this post of yours won’t fall into oblivion.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wheres Jackal or Dale when you need them or are you waiting for me to say the F word, or are testing my Patience, well, my patience is even more little than yestreday

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 February 2017 04:55 PM

wheres Jackal or Dale when you need them or are you waiting for me to say the F word, or are testing my Patience, well, my patience is even more little than yestreday

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yea and see how many times i ignored you while trying to intimidate me, now go del your posts too, RUN!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top