• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiefurgottenIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way - Bob Bates new text adventure

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think it probably needs a thread, Bob Bates is making a new comedy text adventure, there was an interview some time ago for the announcement
The kickstarter is funded but there’s still 7 days left to reach some stretch goals. Game seems like it’s already finished in alpha testing and it’s coming out in July

Official site

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Very glad Thaumistry was funded, including one stretch goal.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Not that the stretch goal was anything important (that one was at $70.000) but it’s cool they made it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oh, I don’t know… I like the idea of getting digital feelies. The music stretch goal was impossible anyway. If they’d actually managed to collect $70,000 I’d rather they made two good text adventures for that kind of money.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Game is getting released 29th September for backers and one week later for everybody

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Started playing Thaumistry and I love the modern feel of the game. Excellent parser, so far the game has understood all the commands I typed. Great new abbreviations have been added: once you’ve told someone something or asked about something, you can type a single t or a + object instead of typing the string ask X about Y every time. What a relief! All the more so because you can talk about lots of stuff. 

The game has a unique response to everything. By accident I talked to someone twice about the same subject and got the response: “Fascinating. Every bit as riveting as the first time you told me.”  Wink

The game also features a nice automap.

PS: I forgot to mention the footnotes, hyperlinks, and 15 pages of Cyberfeelies.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d like to rate the game, but it’s flagged as not released yet. It was released on Steam two days ago.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Should be good to go now.

But actually, as of yesterday morning, it still hadn’t been released on Steam, and in fact showed the 10th as the new target date. Seems Steam can’t make up its mind. Tongue

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, that was confusing, but people did manage to download the game. According to the developer: The October 10 date on the store page is due to Steam not allowing setting the release date to weekend days.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

It’s also available DRM-free here: http://fireflowergames.com/shop/thaumistry-in-charms-way/ Smile

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mini review:

Thaumistry is a modern “old-school” text adventure. There’s a background story, but the focus is on solving puzzles, casting spells and interacting with NPCs. For more general info about the game see https://adventuregamers.com/games/view/31975

The puzzles are easy for the most part. I was stuck a few times though, and used the excellent context-sensitive hint system. I loved casting spells on everybody and everything to see the various effects. No dying, no deadends.

I already mentioned the map and the userfriendly parser. So many unique responses to my input. Modern parsers are of course infinitely better than in the days of Infocom and Magnetic Scrolls, but this one really shines.  I would go so far as to call it forgiving: It even recognizes some common typos. New abbreviations like “a” and “t” are welcome additions and saved me a lot of typing. Another welcome addition is the command “recap” or “review”, which gives you a summary of current objectives and recent achievements.  Very useful when you continue playing the next day and can’t remember exactly what you were doing when you left off.

Bob Bates’ TimeQuest, where you go back in time and witness/change important moments in history, is one of my all-time favorite text adventures. So it was a nice surprise that Thaumistry also refers to historical events, some of which I’d never heard of, and adds footnotes with links to relevant sites. Lots of nice references to his previous games too.

I enjoyed Thaumistry very much. Recommended for both newbies to text adventures and to older players with fond memories of the old Infocom and Legend Entertainment days.

Con: I wish the developer had done more with the story and the interesting concept of “Bodgers”. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top