• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2016

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The Last Guardian was another game that caused us great deliberation. But ultimately we felt that the amount of action and degree of difficulty were far more manageable in TLG than in other twitch-based games we excluded.

Of course anyone is welcome to disagree, but I don’t bother with such arguments over specific games. As I’ve said many times over, every decision is a matter of degree, and endlessly hashing out how much action is too much action or how hard is too hard (for example) is absolutely pointless.

We take such decisions very seriously, but if someone’s line in the sand is different than ours… so be it. These sorts of silly debates just suck all the life out of what is supposed to be fun event.

Oscar - 11 February 2017 02:58 PM

So it’s a popularity contest? That would explain a lot. Although odd for a site which concedes that there do exist “better” games.

No, it’s not a popularity contest either. Are you only able to think in black and white terms? That’s why we have a reader poll.

(How, exactly, you think a popularity contest “explains” how games like Maize, Wailing Heights, Event[0] and POLLEN got nominated is baffling, but makes no difference.)

Time for a bit of transparency, I think.

The degree of self-entitlement in that statement is astounding. But as a courtesy, I’ll explain that each person on staff nominates one or more games for each category they feel has a deserving candidate, after which other factors are given due consideration, including the number of people who have played each game. Given the relatively small staff size and the enormous number of games in total, there is no such thing as a level playing field. So we do our best to account for that, with actual cases being made for lesser-known games.

It’s not a science; it’s a matter of real people in a group communicating to reach reasonable (though always subjective) conclusions.

As for what games are considered adventure or not, that usually happens at review time, and for obvious reasons the reviewer has a very prominent say (though not always the only one). But once that decision is made, that’s the end of it. I’d rather poke my own eyeballs out than argue the point ever again.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Oscar - 11 February 2017 04:48 PM

It’s slightly more nuanced than that. A website like this is always reliant its community and it is in its own interest to listen to it. Alienate the viewer base and the advertising revenue goes down. It’s a mutual relationship. Just like any business can tell all of its customers to “f- off” - of course they can do it, but it’s not going to be very good for business.

All that aside, I’m fairly sure the feedback is appreciated. We all want the site to do well and stay alive.

I might be wrong, but I’ve got a feeling that the people who are in the forums are a small minority of people visiting the site.

I generally agree with D and, there’s already one way to get yourself heard, it’s the reader’s poll.

I personally would love to have an award for almost adventures but we can always vote for that ourselves in the forum if we want to.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

It`s a shame that I dont have powerful enough pc right now, so I haven`t got a chance to play Obduction, The Devil`s Daughter or Silence before aggies. My votes are going primarily to Kathy Rain, Samorost 3 and Dreamfall: Chapters. My Comedy vote goes to Her Majesty`s Spiffing, they deserve it. Shardlight is excellent game too, but Kathy Rain was little bit better in my mind.

Best graphic and best Animation categories are tough ones..

2016 was really good year. Lots of good, enjoyable adventure games, but not necessarily many (or any) 10/10 masterpieces or am I too demanding Smile In any case, I`m really happy to see how strong the genre is nowadays.

I have to upgrade my machine asap Grin

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Wow, I’m honored and humbled to see Kathy Rain included on this list! Smile

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

The only two I’ve played are Dreamfall Chapters and King’s Quest, so those are the two that will get my votes.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jackal - 11 February 2017 05:03 PM

We take such decisions very seriously, but if someone’s line in the sand is different than ours… so be it. These sorts of silly debates just suck all the life out of what is supposed to be fun event.

this part have saddened me yesterday but couldn’t comment cs i was too busy, but i am glad that Jackal had put it this way better than anything else to be said, because what is worse than to tear off the efforts of (not just for these aggies) a whole year of voluntarily work celebrated thru this Aggies awards and just sit back bashing off every single effort of those made not keeping in mind where these bashings land afterall and meant for whom?..
we need think those members/people and Ag staff before bashing their work, and who they really are! they are our everyday contributors to the site, from Becky to Ingmar to fov .. sometimes all represented in Jackal voice, and how respectful they to lay back at this do not want any credits or attention to themselves leaving Jackal to settle this ugly debate..

Jackal - 11 February 2017 01:33 PM
Advie - 11 February 2017 07:09 AM

(sorry ag staff we gotta comment thats what we do)

Don’t apologize… comment away! Just don’t expect us to agree with you. Wink

on other hand (and please try to take this with a good heart) Jack you mostly neglect and do not agree with anything said from members whom are not from AG staff, some things were put with light words and consideration, but sometimes people here can get desperate and push their suggestions or comments up the wall breaking some decency along the way because they know (expect) they won’t (their comments) be considered.

i dont think anyone wants you to go back and change the nominee’s but we have to just agree sometimes to agree..  (i.e) the nature of some adventure being traditional or not, its not like after 30 years of adventuring one need a 2nd thought to state which is which.

hope my point here is understood .

giom - 11 February 2017 06:27 PM

I personally would love to have an award for almost adventures but we can always vote for that ourselves in the forum if we want to.

that is one fine suggesting! at least i agree with big time, it solves many problems brought up here at this thread.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Every year I enjoy the Aggies, as they allow me to discover some of the best games that I missed in the year. 2016 was rich and I didn’t play a lot, so thanks to AG I will be able to focus on some of the best adventure games out there. I was pleased to see Catyph retained in the long list of 150 eligible games. Congrats to all the nominees, I will be looking forward for the final results!

I have only one question if you allow me: why isn’t there a “best puzzles” category?

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 12 February 2017 05:04 AM

i dont think anyone wants you to go back and change the nominee’s but we have to just agree sometimes to agree..  (i.e) the nature of some adventure being traditional or not, its not like after 30 years of adventuring one need a 2nd thought to state which is which.

You mean agree to disagree?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 12 February 2017 07:03 AM

You mean agree to disagree?

no, for once agree to agree on UNdisputed matters
simple as that

edited

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

on other hand (and please try to take this with a good heart) Jack you mostly neglect and do not agree with anything said from members whom are not from AG staff, some things were put with light words and consideration, but sometimes people here can get desperate and push their suggestions or comments up the wall breaking some decency along the way because they know (expect) they won’t (their comments) be considered.

I don’t even understand what you’re trying to say here. I’ll consider any good idea, reasonable suggestion, logical argument, etc. regardless of its source. Like I used Kurufinwe’s post, earlier in this very thread, as a catalyst to reconsider 1/P and 3/P instead of traditional/non-traditional. (May or may not happen, but I’ll think about it for next year.)

Presumably what you mean is that generally the only times I feel compelled to respond is when there are things that clearly need to be clarified or countered as it relates to AG directly. Normally I don’t say anything, and I’m 100% happy for you lot to argue amongst yourselves. Tongue

I ultimately “agree” with my staff because we’ve gone over all the arguments ahead of time to arrive at our decisions. I rarely hear anything on the forums that hasn’t already been carefully considered, so having people second-guess our decisions after the fact isn’t going to have any effect.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so moving on.

Simon_ASA - 12 February 2017 06:12 AM

I have only one question if you allow me: why isn’t there a “best puzzles” category?

There really wouldn’t be enough to distinguish Best Puzzles from Best Gameplay. They aren’t exactly the same thing, but puzzles tend to be the primary gameplay element considered. And the best puzzles are so intertwined with story and exploration that where does one even stop and the other begin?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Where are you supposed to vote?
For the past few years I’ve waited to see some sort of poll appear in one of the forums, but never found one.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

crabapple - 13 February 2017 10:32 AM

For the past few years I’ve waited to see some sort of poll appear in one of the forums, but never found one.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/32151

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

crabapple - 13 February 2017 10:32 AM

the voting is on the main page of the site, but yet to be posted the within the next few days, that’s now is only an an announcement

Opps its already there.

Best Story: Dreamfall Chapters.
Best Writing Comedy: Doomsday
Best Writing Drama: Dreamfall Chapters
Best Character: Renie
Best Gameplay: Catyph
Best Concept: Dreamfall Chapters
Best Setting: King’s Quest
Best Graphics: Dreamfall Chapters
Best Animation: Dreamfall Chapters
Best Music: Dreamfall Chapters
Best Voice: King’s Quest
Best Sound Effects: Silence
Best Non-Traditional Adventure: Samorost 3
Best Traditional Adventure: Shardlight
Best Adventure of 2016: Dreamfall Chapters.

my impression after filling my votes that this year is empt;y many adventures that don’t wiegh anything, quantity but no quality so to say.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Glad The Last Guardian was eligible, made the voting very easy

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Going through the list of eligible games in the poll reminded me of Love You to Bits. Why did that game not even get a review? It was pretty much my second-favourite adventure of 2016.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top