• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Looking for adventure game where you play a white or black chess pawn

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2017-02-06

PM

Hi this is an older game, as I remember downloading it of this site years ago,
It was a adventure game where you played as a white pawn piece(from Chess pieces) and set off on a adventure, but you can also switch to a black pawn and play for the DARK SIDE of the board!!!, if you wish.

The only other thing I can remember really is I think the games title did not sound like anything to do with chess at all lol.

If you can help me find it, I’d be very grateful,

Cheers Smile

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

MaximusGeek - 06 February 2017 07:40 AM

The only other thing I can remember really is I think the games title did not sound like anything to do with chess at all lol.

Presumably not The Pawn, then Smile

Can you remember any other details - about how old it was, was it a freeware game maybe?

Edit: Could it be Zugzwang?
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/635/

Joined 2017-02-06

PM

Hi Phlebas, sorry for the delay in reply, been having a few maintenance issues at home.
Yes that’s the game, unbelievable you found it!!, thanks so much.

I loved playing it, it was so unique.

Cheers.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Actually, it has everything to do with chess.

Zugzwang (literally “forced to move”) is a chess term where one player is put in a situation where it’s his turn and he has to move, but his best move would be not to move (as in: any move he makes would worsen his position)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2017-02-06

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2017 06:05 PM

Actually, it has everything to do with chess.

Zugzwang (literally “forced to move”) is a chess term where one player is put in a situation where it’s his turn and he has to move, but his best move would be not to move (as in: any move he makes would worsen his position)...

Hey Thanks, I just learnt something about Chess, I wonder where the term originated though it sounds Polish or Russian to me, but maybe not.

Do you know any other good chess games that incorporate adventure gaming, because I’d love to find some more like this. Laughing

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

MaximusGeek - 19 February 2017 03:09 AM

the term… sounds Polish or Russian to me

My knowledge of German is next to nothing (“gutten tag,” “heil zu dich…”), but I’m pretty sure “zug” is a German word (meaning something like “move” or “pull” in English).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zobraks - 19 February 2017 03:26 AM
MaximusGeek - 19 February 2017 03:09 AM

the term… sounds Polish or Russian to me

My knowledge of German is next to nothing (“gutten tag,” “heil zu dich…”), but I’m pretty sure “zug” is a German word (meaning something like “move” or “pull” in English).

Exactly. It’s German.

Zug can translate as “move” and Zwang translates as “compulsion” or “obligation”. Hence the combined meaning “forced to move”.

It’s a well-known term among chess players.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1255

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Here is another well known german term for curious: zeitnot.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

We all know what that is; I’ve spent my whole life in zeitnot .

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top