• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 07 January 2017

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Myst

Myst I came across, along with Broken Sword 1, on a charity compilation disc for PS in about 1996.

I was fascinated with the solitary surreal environments so dabbled with the game here & there for years without the ‘puzzle head’ required before I was finally able to complete it with the aid of a walkthrough when the logic became clearer & I also loved the background story minimal as it was!

The memory of the game is of one that is unique even today. 

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Ahh… My friend, you’ve returned.

Myst/Myst Masterpiece, RealMyst, and RealMyst Masterpiece. Out of the three my favorite version is the original/masterpiece edition. The others didn’t quite have the same feeling too me.

But my favorite of the series overall is Myst III Exile (Yes Riven was amazing).

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

My favorite video game series of all time! Smile Here’s a quick story to bore you guys with Wink

My cousin and I are only a years difference in age so growing up we were very close almost like brothers. We spent just about every weekend together and even got our first job together at the same mom and pop restaurant. So anyway, I had read about this game called Myst in a computer gaming magazine. My cousin had a 3DO back then so we rented the game at our local video store. We were instantly hooked so we saved our money and pooled together to buy it. We spent what seemed like a month of weekends playing it and trying to solve the puzzles. I remember there being a Myst prima stragedy guide in the magazine section at our local grocery store so anytime my mom would go buy groceries I would go with her so I could take a peek and find out how to get past the part we were stuck at. We had already made the mistake of calling the hint line, yeah that cost us, lol. Kids have it so easy this day in time, just hop on the internet Wink Anyway, just thought I’d share that with you guys. Fond memories indeed!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I wish I’d thought of peaking at the strategy guides at the time but would have had to do it too many times, without being under suspicion, for Myst to help!  Laughing

I confess to using the very expensive hint-line for Broken Sword when George got to Spain I think & then I gave up on that idea as although I got the hint I wanted it was difficult!  Laughing

Yes! I love the freedom of the internet!  Smile

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As with all things internet, I have a dear internet friend who was going through the hell of breast cancer including surgery, radiation and chemo. Almost killed her, but didn’t. Her respite was Myst. She said that playing the game was the only thing that was capable of taking her mind somewhere other than the on the misery she was enduring.

She created a Myst wall of fame. When any of us finished the game, our names would be “carved” on the wall. She was an inspiration. Anyone who was around when the CompuServe GAMERS forum was in full swing knows who I am talking about.

In tribute to her I did the same thing with Shivers. (Loved that game.) Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

My husband and I bought our first computer for the kids for educational purposes a couple of decades ago. (Sure doesn’t seem that long ago, but it was.) It hadn’t even occurred to us to buy games to play for us. I saw a boxed copy of Myst in the computer section at Costco (I think it was called Price Club back then). There was one copy left. I was eyeballing it at the same time another customer was also showing interest. We both headed for it at speed. She got there a second before me and snagged the last copy.

Fortunately, the next time I shopped there they had stuck a bunch more copies on the shelf. It was the first PC game I played, together with my husband. The first one is always magical, I think. We needed two hints, as I recall. One because the screen was so dark in one place that we didn’t see a hotspot. And one because getting on top of the elevator never crossed our minds.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks for posting for me last week, Chrissie!  I will get myself up to speed and post this past Saturday’s shot sometime tonight.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Wondered why the resurrected thread.  I love the stories and want to add my own. 

I’d used a computer before but it was running Dos and I couldn’t fathom playing a game on it.  One day I picked up a PC magazine and saw this wonderful review of Myst with pictures!  An avid board gamer and puzzle doer, I fell in love with it then. 

We didn’t have a computer at home so I used my own savings to buy a PacBell with 64 MB(!) of memory cheap - still a small fortune in those days - only because it had the first compact disk player and came with Myst.  It ran on something called Navigator that was a precursor to Windows icons.  It was fantastic seeing the opening of the game and hearing the music.  We had no internet and I had to figure it out on my own.

I’ve been a computer and game enthusiast ever since.  I learned to crack open the machine and install more ram so the game would run more smoothly.  That lead to being able to build a computer from parts today.  I had to deal with salesmen who couldn’t believe I could possibly know what I was doing but it was worth it.

The entire Myst series is still my favorite.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top