• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play: Gabriel Knight 3

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Following the year long Sierra playthrough thread I’m starting Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned and since it’s one of the bigger games I think a new thread is worth for more people to join in playing or discussing.

Don’t know much about the game, just that it almost killed adventure games with a cat moustache (or something like that…) but it at the same also features one of the best puzzles ever.
It also seems to have special kind of ugliness only early 3D games managed to achieve but I’m also expecting some top notch Jane Jensen story and characters to compensate that.
I enjoyed the other 2 GK so this should be fun.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There are games that are known for a signature puzzle. Serpent Rouge and GK3 will forever be linked together. Give me a day or four to find the game, and I will happily join you.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Are you playing the disk version, rtrooney?
I’m playing the gog version. Right now just messing with it and trying to adapt to the weird control scheme. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?!?

Game seems to stutter a lot and dialogue cutscenes seem even worse. Going through Gog forums and maybe it’ssome 3D issues. Anyone has any suggestion? Windows 10 64-bit here.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My disk version is probably not playable on the current machine. I haven’t looked, but I’m hoping there is a download available on GOG.

Edit: Or GOG forbid, I have to get it from my arch-nemesis Steam.

I’ve got some other things to do. But hopefully will be up and running by Tuesday.

Re Edit: Maybe by late Monday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes, gog has it, just doesn’t seem to be very optimized, it’s playable so far and as long as I don’t run into any crashes I think it might be ok, just somewhat jerky camera and slow in dialogues. Having “incremental rendering” in options turned off seems to be advisable.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am in, but also as Tim my CD version wont run, but i am glad i have it from a bundle back them from Gog, tomorrow i will start..
lets hope we can fire thru that first boring day easliy, as how i could remember it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

actually i tried it today before i sleep and didnt run.. i will see to it tommorrow

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

wilco - 07 January 2017 07:59 PM

I’m playing the gog version. Right now just messing with it and trying to adapt to the weird control scheme. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?!?

I do. It’s better than making your character walk everywhere, and I liked whizzing all over the place and being able to fly.

Game seems to stutter a lot and dialogue cutscenes seem even worse. Going through Gog forums and maybe it’ssome 3D issues. Anyone has any suggestion? Windows 10 64-bit here.

Gog tech support is actually quite good, I’ve found. Send them a report and follow what they tell you exactly.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Make sure to read the comic before you start playing, or the story will make no sense whatsoever.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 07 January 2017 11:50 PM
wilco - 07 January 2017 07:59 PM

I do. It’s better than making your character walk everywhere, and I liked whizzing all over the place and being able to fly.

Direct control would be better in my opinion, either first or third person, or at least better camera controls.

Advie - 07 January 2017 10:59 PM

actually i tried it today before i sleep and didnt run.. i will see to it tommorrow

What’s the problem?
Contact gog, like Oscar said, or look in gog or steam forums, some bug reports there already.

Kurufinwe - 08 January 2017 04:30 AM

Make sure to read the comic before you start playing, or the story will make no sense whatsoever.

Good advice, thanks, the intro was confusing me with what was going on.
Gog doesn’t seem to have the comic in the extras section but it is here:
http://sierrahelp.com/Documents/Misc/Gabriel_Knight_3_-_Graphic_Novel.pdf

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Now the game crashed twice in the restaurant…

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I’ve made it to 2pm trying to hire a bike.

The game has crashed on me a few times and i’ve played around with the graphics settings to no avail.

Annoying.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sadly enough GK3 is pretty unstable under modern OS’s, especially what comes to Windows 10. The last time I tried it, it kept crashing every 10 or so minutes and the video stuttered like a granny in a pile of snow.

It’s a shame really, as I really like the game. If it had a better engine, I’d even say it’s my favourite Jane Jensen title, but even back in the day I never did fully warm with the clunky 3D engine and the graphics themselves were quite horrible thanks to low resolution textures and models (but that goes to pretty much all 90’s 3D titles).

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

There is a discussion in a steam thread about a possible solution in some cases

http://steamcommunity.com/app/497360/discussions/0/359547436762117167/

Using dgvoodoo might help a bit but haven’t got time right now to try it so I’ll try later

Best solution so far is quick save a lot…

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I gave DGvoodoo a try and it does seem to work. I didn’t play that long, but with it installed I didn’t have any crashes where as without it the game crahed almost every time I changed locations.

You do need to tweak gamma and brightness options a bit, as this does seem to make the graphics a tad darker than they originally were. But all in all, this seems to be a good option. Which reminds me, I have to try Return to Krondor with this.

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

I’m hoping it works on Win 7 32 bit.  If not I’ll give it a go on an older laptop I have, which I think is XP

What OS are you guys having problems with?

O/T I’m playing another Jane Jensen game, Moebius at the moment. It seemed to get a harsh reception largely down to it’s ridiculous plot but I don’t really see how GK1 and GK2 were any more plausible or less painful B movies. But the level of detail and characterisation makes all of them immersive experiences.

Is she done with gaming now? I read she’d gone back to writing. A pity if so.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top