Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

A NEAR DAWN = [Thriller] [Mystery] [Psychological] ~ TRAILER UP!

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

LINK: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWomKx5Uk6U]

We’re getting close to finishing art for the opening!

A Near Dawn is a visual adventure created by Leonid Pilchin. It is the first commercial project from Far-off Daydream Games.

A Near Dawn is a psychological thriller with humorous highs and gut-wrenching crashes. Though there are science fiction elements that unfold as the story progresses, the first chapter “A Day in the Life” is grounded in our reality. The opening chapter sees our main character - Seattle-based attorney Sam Nichols - who seems to be experiencing some disturbing psychological difficulties, exposed to progressively dire circumstances that threaten to unravel his reality and destroy those closest to him. Though haunted by personal demons, with your law firm struggling and on the brink of collapse, you take the helm on an important new case involving a ruthless multinational corporation, defended by the vilest people you’ve ever encountered. The odds already seem stacked against you and as you learn things are not as they appear, a deeper conspiracy begins to emerge. Where will you end up if you keep untangling the threads? You will have to be brave to discover the truth.

A Near Dawn is an interactive visual novel adventure game with animated cinematics, puzzles, dynamic decisions, and multiple endings. It is planned as an episodic series with each chapter being a full game. The player is in control of the main character’s actions at every turn of the story. You will explore the environment and speak to the other characters to learn about what is happening and what needs to be done. It was important to give as much freedom and put as much detail into the content of the story as could be managed, as such you will have the option to skip key elements of the game not necessary for advancing the main plot if your character chooses to ignore them or fails to explore them. At the same time, you will not be able to move forward without resolving issues necessary for advancing the story along. Finally, a chief mechanic of the game is a sanity meter that defines your psychological state and will run out as Sam experiences (or subjects himself to) events that unsettle him.

The neighborhood diner near your workplace. Our story begins here with a chat between two of our protagonists over a lunch that goes terribly wrong. (note: This project used to be called Back To Reality)

* Writing - Leonid Pilchin
* Character Art & Animation - Leonid Pilchin
* Background Art & UI - Alexander Kaloyan
* Programming - K. Zero
* Music - D.G.

* Writing - 70%
* Character Art - 60%
* Animation - 15%
* CG Art - 0%
* BG Art - 10%
* UI - 15%
* Programming - 10%

* What do you think about the concept?
* What are your impressions of the characters and story?
* What do you think of the artwork?
* Are you interested in playing this game?
* Would you support this project on KickStarter?

The demo to the first chapter, “A Day in the Life” will be coming in a bit! Let us know what you think and wish us luck!

Just dreaming out loud: TWITTERPUT A SOCK IN IT!A NEAR DAWNGHOSTS ARE GOOD HOSTS

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Story sounds interesting and I really like the art style.  I’d play it now if I could!

Total Posts: 2962

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Off the top…too many characters to support an undefined plot.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Casual Game Developer List
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AohuMgk8BGFTdExjM2s4eGdJRGZmcWJxMUNoUTlMZVE#gid=0

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Detective Mosely - 06 December 2016 09:48 PM

Story sounds interesting and I really like the art style.  I’d play it now if I could!

Thanks Detective Mosely! I’m finalizing the script for the demo now.

rtrooney - 06 December 2016 10:17 PM

Off the top…too many characters to support an undefined plot.

Hey rtrooney. That’s a fair observation, some of the characters serve to flesh out the world and have less of a role in the central plot than others. You could call them ‘side quests’, or side interactions. I think every character has something to contribute to the experience, though. This game is actually planned as a series, and not all of the characters would warrant an appearance in a sequel (... which would have a bunch more characters!).

Just dreaming out loud: TWITTERPUT A SOCK IN IT!A NEAR DAWNGHOSTS ARE GOOD HOSTS

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Work in progress sketch for the A Near Dawn cover illustration.

Total Posts: 3232

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Any title that’s a ‘Thriller’ + ‘Mystery’ + ‘Psychological’ is of interest to me & I like the look of the art + description of the game & characters!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

chrissie - 14 December 2016 02:08 PM

Any title that’s a ‘Thriller’ + ‘Mystery’ + ‘Psychological’ is of interest to me & I like the look of the art + description of the game & characters!  :tup:

Thanks Chrissie!  :)
I hope to have the demo up in a couple of months.

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Look, coolness - I finished the cover art for A Near Dawn!
Let me know what you think.

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Animating Sam’s run cycle. It’s going pretty well, but so much further to go…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KUbQBeoWfc

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Ink is finished on Sam’s run cycle! Now on to the paint, that will take a while…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenoBWOqt0M

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Finished animating Sam’s run for the opening.

Link to the video here:

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

This is how I amuse myself with my work in progress… :)

Total Posts: 1005

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Don’t you mean Until Dawn?

Owh…this is a game developed by you!
Sorry…

Edit: I like the artstyle in the first images better than the latest you posted.
Last one reminds me of a flash game.

Good luck on your project.

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Origami - 11 January 2017 08:44 PM

Don’t you mean Until Dawn?

Ooh, I didn’t know about Until Dawn… until just now. That looks cool and it’s got the Mr. Robot dude.

Origami - 11 January 2017 08:44 PM

Edit: I like the artstyle in the first images better than the latest you posted. Last one reminds me of a flash game. Good luck on your project.

Thanks Origami!
The last pic I just posted as a gag, I removed the character’s outlines.  :P

Total Posts: 1005

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Owh wow…I didn’t even read the text balloon, otherwise I would’ve understood the joke. Was fully focused on the art haha.

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

Origami - 12 January 2017 01:53 PM

Owh wow…I didn’t even read the text balloon, otherwise I would’ve understood the joke. Was fully focused on the art haha.

This is what it’s supposed to look like!  :)
Another scene finished for A Near Dawn:

Welcome to the AG forums! View the archived forums here »