• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Phantasmagoria Playthrough

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played Phantasmagoria twenty years ago and I’m curious to see how I feel about it today. So I decided I’m going to replay it and pay special attention to the characters of Adrienne and Don, their behavior, roles, interaction, etcetera from a female and/or feminist perspective.

Seven days in the game, seven days in the playthrough.
Starting this weekend.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have to replay this game too - loved it way back when.

I hope you enjoy your play through!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

No subtitles… *sigh*

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 19 November 2016 03:41 AM

No subtitles… *sigh*

Yes, and the sound is not very good. I’m halfway the first chapter and I find it hard to understand what people are saying.

Total Posts: 1255

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Imagine we have just translated into Spanish two months ago and we had to understand everything they say without subtitles. We finally managed to show subtitles in the game and after all this years, we can play it!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t got a lot of time over the next 7 days Karlok but I’ve been spurred on to at least start the game this weekend.  Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

walas1974 - 19 November 2016 09:49 AM

Imagine we have just translated into Spanish two months ago and we had to understand everything they say without subtitles. We finally managed to show subtitles in the game and after all this years, we can play it!

Good for you, must have been a lot of work. I hope you will share your thoughts about the game with us. 

chrissie - 19 November 2016 12:25 PM

I haven’t got a lot of time over the next 7 days Karlok but I’ve been spurred on to at least start the game this weekend.  Smile

Great! Smile I haven’t been able to finish the first chapter today and I may have been a little too optimistic. The chapters aren’t very long, but I don’t think I can do the game in one week.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

is there a space next to the avatar expanded (inside the post box itself) or could it be just my browser (anyone else is seeing this ?

wrong thread, i know, sorry

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Great idea!!!  Thumbs Up  I’ll follow the thread closely, and perhaps join in as well if I find the time.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also started playing it since I’ve long wanted to have another look at it, only played it on release.
The objects, when looking at them in inventory menu, spin way too fast, any way to correct that? Playing the gog version.

The lack of subtitles also annoy me. What’s the name of the cat? Spaz?

Total Posts: 1255

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Yes, Spaz. And later it gets harder, with some characters with ‘peculiar’ accents that even a friend of mine who lives in USA couldn’t undertand!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I was going to post my comments on Chapter One today, but I’ll give chrissie, wilco, and hopefully diego the chance to play it first. So this is going to be a very short post.

I liked the game a lot when I played it all these years ago, in spite of its shortcomings, but I’ve forgotten many details, even some of the gory ones. It was groundbreaking and exciting, it had real people, the music was good and the “puzzles” were not hard. In my memory the acting was pretty bad and so far I haven’t changed my opinion. 

The Intro

Adrienne has a nightmare (of scary things to come) and wakes up terrified. Don holds and comforts her, which turns into lovemaking. Only one naked breast, seen from the side, no nipples or anything.

Happy, loving couple. Yes? Sure. But…

Adrienne doesn’t say anything, she just pants a lot. She doesn’t talk about her nightmare and Don never asks. Don: Ssssshhhhh… it’s just a bad dream… you don’t ever have to be afraid of anything. I’ll always be here to protect you. That’s something you might say to a young child, not to a grown woman. It’s a cliche. It’s patronizing.

[to be continued] Smile

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played the intro - it’s all a little grainy but not bad for the time? & I do like FMV!
I had to re-download as the Exe file disappeared??? so had less time this evening than hoped. I’ve just started exploring the new house, picked up a few things & have avoided going outside as I would like to finish finding everything I can in the house first! Is making a map recommended? Also yes wilco, I agree with walas that the cat’s name sounds like it’s Spaz! Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Why name a cat Spaz?!? Smile

My memory of the game is that I was hugely disappointed by it. There was some hype for it at the time and it started great with a cool horror intro with a little twist suspense (and the sideboob ... teenager at the time Smile ). But at the time it simply didn’t meet expectations after that, I think just thought it was too easy and slow.
Finished the first chapter now. Don seems to be a bit of a prick even before the events that followed. The amount of regular daily routine stuff we have to see Adrienne do is a “litle” too much.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I remember seeing a playable demo of this back when it was released at Electronic Boutique at the mall. They actually had a computer set up where you could play a little bit of it. I was 15 at the time and was blown away that you could play a real person. My first taste of FMV. Unfortunately, the computer my family had at the time (a Tandy 1000 I believe) didn’t have a CD-Rom drive. Well, 10 years later around 2005/6 I bought it on ebay and finally got to play it lol. I replayed through it last Halloween and got that nostalgic excited feeling I first felt when I played the demo at EB all those years ago! It always made me think of a Soap Opera turned Horror B-movie Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 20 November 2016 04:59 PM

There was some hype for it at the time and it started great with a cool horror intro with a little twist suspense (and the sideboob ... teenager at the time Smile ).

I think “some hype” is a bit of an understatement. Sierra brought out all the marketing cannons it could muster. Sierra’s first multi-disk game. First FMV game. And while the $4.3MM actual budget far exceeded the $800K projected budget, even that was hyped as the most expensive game Sierra ever made. It was the first time I remember Sierra releasing a game with its own point-of-purchase displays. On a 1-to-10 Hype-o-meter, this was a 27. And it was the most expensive game at retail that Sierra ever released.

This was not some hype. This was all-time over the top hype.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top