• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Seeking Detective Games

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-09-18

PM

Bonjourno to all of you.

I’ve been a huge fan of games like the Broken Sword series and especially the Gabriel Knight games since I was too young to be playing those games.

Having recently re-read the paperback book based on Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, I’ve been craving to get back into the genre.

I’m looking for a game to play that has all the detective aspects of the above, where I can question witnesses, examine clues, etc while becoming immersed in an extremely gripping story, with believable characters, etc.

While my knowledge of the genre is limited, I’m thinking this is THE place to be asking these questions, given the expertise on offer from fans here. So your suggestions would be much appreciated.

All games you suggest need to work on my Windows 7 laptop, though I’m more than happy to download any emulators / roms / patches to make older games work.

THANKS!

For anyone who remembers the bit in Gabriel Knight 2: Beast Within where you’re forced to hide a cookoo clock in a pot plant… I feel your pain…

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2006-11-21

PM

LA Noire is pretty much everything you’re looking for but it’s not a straightforward adventure.  Think GTA lite with witness interviewing and clue hunting set in a fictional post war 1940’s setting.  It’s hard to say if it will work on your laptop without some specs.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Still life will be well worth a look if you haven’t played it.

Other than that the Sherlock Holmes games may be of interest and possibly the Art of Murder series.

If you like the globe trotting angle then the Secret Files series are probably worth a go too!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

If you love Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight, you should love Tex Murphy games too.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_under_a_killing_moon

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yes, Tex! Available at GOG.com. (Skip the first two games in the series.) And Black Dahlia.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I have a recommendation. Hint: it begins with “Mau” and it’s about an island.

Another hint: it’s the best detective game ever made. <—FACT

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Just another vote for the 3 Tex Murphy games on GoG and LA Noire (if you don’t mind action games).

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Spycraft is different than BS and GK, being more of a “CSI/detective” than mystery, but it’s still one of the best spy thrillers.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Why no love for Cruise For a Corpse or The Colonel’s Bequest? They’re rarely mentioned in topics like this…

Also, if you must choose one Sherlock Holmes game, make it Case Of The Rose Tattoo.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Agustín Cordes - 18 September 2012 04:22 PM

Why no love for Cruise For a Corpse or The Colonel’s Bequest?

Hey, I heard that! Smile

As for Sherlock Holmes, I would agree Case of the Rose Tattoo is the most detailed of them all, especially if you don’t mind a lot of reading. Serrated Scalpel is classic, as well. As for Frogwares games, there’s already been a lot of discussion, but I was pleasantly surprised while playing The Awakened Remastered recently. However, I feel that with “vs Ripper” they watered down gameplay a bit. Let’s see what the new game will bring.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

diego - 18 September 2012 04:27 PM
Agustín Cordes - 18 September 2012 04:22 PM

Why no love for Cruise For a Corpse or The Colonel’s Bequest?

Hey, I heard that! Smile

Déjà Vu! Confused

SPEAKING OF WHICH! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Déjà_Vu_(video_game)

There. Only hardcore detectivesque suggestions.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i would have to agree with tex & L.A. noire.
Both are very good at creating a world where you feel like a detective. IMO l.a. noire is an adventure game with shooter elements (and not the other way around).

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-09-18

PM

Wow. Pleasantly suprised by the myriad of suggestions. Will GOG a few and see how I go.

There’s plenty to get my teeth in to here, so thanks to all who posted - you didn’t dissapoint! I like it here, maybe I’ll stay…

For anyone who remembers the bit in Gabriel Knight 2: Beast Within where you’re forced to hide a cookoo clock in a pot plant… I feel your pain…

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’ll throw in the Blackwell series and while it’s not exactly a pure detective story, The Last Express has arguably the best mystery storyline in gaming history in my opinion.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If you have a DS, I recommend Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past as a solid noir detective game, and also Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and its sequel Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. While these last two are not detective games per se, the main character plays detective throughout, and they’re good noir games as well…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’m really surprised that so far no-one has chucked in Discworld Noir.
Mind you “believable characters” might be a problem there Smile

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top