• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieLady Kestrelwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Karma. Incarnation 1

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

This one looks interesting and goes to my shopping list. It brings to my mind Amanita style adventures and Machinarium speech bubbles. Colourful and psychedelic art style. It`s now live on Steam—> 8,99 € but apparently no gog release yet..

Image Attachments

Karma_1.jpg

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Psychedelic is right. Bizarre creatures. Nice music. No speech, bubbles telling the player what to do. I should enjoy it because it has much in common with the Amanita games, especially Botanicula. But somehow it’s a bit too psychedelic and incoherent for my taste. I couldn’t make head or tails of the intro. Something about two creatures in love and a bad guy…? I don’t have a clue who I am and why I am running all kinds of errands for other characters. Sometimes I don’t even understand what they want me to do. And I’m stuck right now. Meh

I do want to finish it though.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I played the demo. If I were Amanita I’d be angry with them. It’s a down right replica of their style - minus the charm.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 22 October 2016 04:50 AM

I played the demo. If I were Amanita I’d be angry with them. It’s a down right replica of their style - minus the charm.

Hm, don’t know. Should Cyan be angry because there were so many Myst clones?
I agree that it does lack the Amanita charm. I got used to the psychedelic stuff, the repetitive animations get boring and now I’m stuck in a…. MAZE.

Sigh.

I’m still going to finish the game. Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 22 October 2016 07:31 PM

Hm, don’t know. Should Cyan be angry because there were so many Myst clones?

Fair point. I wonder if 10 years from now we’ll have a whole genre of Amanita clones, equally loved and hated by AG forumgoers.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 22 October 2016 08:04 PM

I wonder if 10 years from now we’ll have a whole genre of Amanita clones, equally loved and hated by AG forumgoers.

Different situation: the original Amanita games aren’t as divisive as Myst was…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I agree it’s a different situation, but not for that reason.

The Amanita games are extremely distinctive in such a way that it’s creatively bankrupt to copy the way Karma does. It is the little mannerisms, the quirkiness that is being copied.

On the other hand, Myst laid down a formula of silent and desolate exploration that can easily be applied across a wide variety of different scenarios while still being fresh and feeling different from Myst.

Case in point: A lot of people who dislike Myst seem to like the Dark Fall or Scratches type of games. I can’t see that happening with Amanita and Karma at all.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 22 October 2016 10:01 PM

On the other hand, Myst laid down a formula of silent and desolate exploration that can easily be applied across a wide variety of different scenarios while still being fresh and feeling different from Myst.

You left out an important characteristic of true Mystian games: mechanical puzzles instead of inventory puzzles. Now THAT was revolutionary in the early nineties.

Case in point: A lot of people who dislike Myst seem to like the Dark Fall or Scratches type of games.

Dark Fall and Scratches are sort of Myst hybrids. Smile My guess is, based on what I read here and elsewhere, that most people who hate Myst don’t like them either.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I finished it. Sort of. It’s the first episode of a series, apparently.

It was okay. Certainly not bad. I might even buy the second episode, if there ever is one.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 23 October 2016 03:46 AM
Oscar - 22 October 2016 10:01 PM

You left out an important characteristic of true Mystian games: mechanical puzzles instead of inventory puzzles. Now THAT was revolutionary in the early nineties.

Case in point: A lot of people who dislike Myst seem to like the Dark Fall or Scratches type of games.

Dark Fall and Scratches are sort of Myst hybrids. Smile My guess is, based on what I read here and elsewhere, that most people who hate Myst don’t like them either.

Would you consider The Witness a Myst hybrid? No inventory OR mechanical puzzles there.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You’ve got me there. Smile Too many gray areas? I’ll go for a Mystian puzzle game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top