• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

I really miss game box extras

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Any else feel similar?  I know it is essentially pointless to package a huge box full of manuals describing lore and maps and all the kinds of things that used to come in the boxes of old adventure game greats, but I was remembering this recently.  I recall one evening after middle school I had just bought King’s Quest VI with my allowance money but I had to be stuck in my mom’s car for a class she was taking for several hours after purchasing.  That manual was FLOODED with amazing lore! I recall quest for glory III’s guide to east fricana to be filled with lore as well, and Space Quest Galactic Enquirer…etc.  I miss all that stuff!  It really added something to the game experience to have these *physical* extras inside the boxes.  I was itching to install the game and play it but that manual and many like it really added so much to the games that I was actually just content and more eager to get started playing it having no choice but to just examine every bit inside the box. Even just holding the box itself felt like something special. On a related note, I really miss the box ARTWORK of older games.  I don’t know what it is, but it seems the cover/art promotional art of recent games (and I mean in any genre not just adventure games) is just totally uninteresting.  Ironic because the in game graphics now are amazing, but their cover art is just lackluster… what’s with that?  The cover artwork of an older game like King’s Quest V was practically a painting, it caught your eye! All the old games cover art had so much character like that… I mean you really could judge a book by it’s cover back then, but nowdays the cover art of 99% of games would totally disinterest me in the game until I see gameplay vids.  I don’t what point I’m really trying to make… just having a nostalgia moment I guess.  XD   aw well.  I just did a re playthrough of the entire police quest series, wow that was great Grin not sure what I’m off to reminisce on next… perhaps kyrandia.  cheers!

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

I was just thinking about this the other day, too. Even copy protection could get interesting—like Freddy Pharkas and the hilarious Mondern Day Book of Health and Hygiene. As for artwork, nothing beats the visuals made by Steve Purcell—I have a framed print of the cover art from Zak McKracken, my first AG, hanging on my office wall. This is why I backed for a physical copy of Thimbleweed Park: I haven’t experienced the joy of opening a physical, classic-looking box in so many years and finding surprises inside, and I’d spend a small fortune just to get that experience again for once!

Additionally, even though it isn’t AG-specific, you should check this subscription service out: https://www.theindiebox.com. One of the cooler projects they did was making a boxed version of Retro City Rampage complete with cloth map, physical manual and the entire game on a single freaking 3.5-inch floppy disk! The nostalgia/retro feel is simply mind-blowing.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Even the old Infocom text adventures had fun box extras - fun little books to read, maps, even plastic toys - they were great fun.

I am certain they are quite collectible now, too bad I didn’t keep them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m so glad I kept mine.  Pewter Squees, Peril Sensitive Sunglasses and Invusible Miniture Space Fleets (in an empty plastic bag!), Cloth Maps, Odd shaped boxes, Metal embossed boxes, Raffia-tied die-punched cardboard sleeves,  Bound Diary books, Signed CDs and oh so many others.  And the gorgeous boxes they came in with their beautiful artwork and paper inserts.  Name a game or goodie and I probably have it.

Unfortunately, It’s been a while since I’ve seen them as I carefully flattened the boxes as a space saving move (there are still many moving boxes full) and packed all the jewel boxes and goodies separately.  Some day in my dotage I may have the time (and space) to rejoin them all and display them.

I, too, am very sorry they are a thing of the past.

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mikekelly - 30 September 2016 06:10 AM

Even the old Infocom text adventures had fun box extras - fun little books to read, maps, even plastic toys - they were great fun.

Infocom started the fun extras.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top