• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which games have taught you the most about a topic?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I find the most educational games are not necessarily those in the Educational category, but more often games with a lot of content that are also fun to play.

So, which adventure games have made you learn a lot about a subject? (And I’m talking about real areas of knowledge here, not “Toonstruck taught me a lot about Cutopia”)

A few of my own to start with:

Riddle of the Sphinx: Archaeology, Egyptology. I’m not sure how accurate it is, but a lot of research clearly went into it. There’s quite a lot of reading content and exploring an extensive dig site allows you to learn first-hand about ancient Egyptian structures.
Timelapse, Timequest, Journeyman Project series: Anthropology, history. Travelling back in time adds another dimension in letting you view cultures first-hand rather than just reading about them.
Police Quest series: US police procedures and criminal law. I haven’t played these for some time, but they are said to be reasonably accurate and their punishing/unforgiving nature means you need to learn police procedure to get anywhere.
1893: A World’s Fair Mystery: American history. The Columbian exposition of 1893 was something I knew next to nothing about before playing. You can examine almost everything in detail and NPCs give a good approximation of life at the time. The game comes with an extensive booklet detailing the layout of the fair, and the game’s map is a true replica of the actual fairground area.
The Wolf Among Us: The most notable feature is a huge database of actual fables and fairy-tales based on the characters you meet. I discovered many I did not know of, and although the descriptions could have been a little more detailed you can do your own research outside the game if you wish to know more. This could be a nice tool for those not exposed to western fables.
Capri series: Although there is not much to read, sightseeing around the islands gives you a good geographical overview, making you feel like you have actually visited the places and giving you an idea of life there. You also learn about local customs such as brewing Limoncello liqueur, as well as some Roman history.
Plundered Hearts: Historical ship layouts, 17th century attire, being wooed by pirates.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Broken Sword - Hashashins and Templars
Gk3 - Rennes-le-Château mysteries, Freemaons,Scottishrite,Holygrail etc.
GeminiRue - Self reflection and meditation about conscience.
Rapture- Nature of species and parasite in general.
Walkingdead - Its already dog eat dog world and humans are worse enemies of humans than walkers could be. Even if we have to take at micro level here , forums heated arguments, among community players, old members losing in an instant and getting banned like Season1Ep3 stuff.Smile
TftBorderlands - How to be smart corporate player
Wolfamongus- Israel rocks, of course i read comics after game thanks to wilco.
Dracula3 - Some neat and well researched Vlad myth vs reality.
HeavyRain- How far can i go for my loved one?
PapaandYo - Father abuse and its detrimental effects..
Catherine - Sexual lust and its dilemma.
Tender,loving,care - Michael Esposito is a lucky guy.
HerStory - Never trust a woman on face value.
Majestic - Facebook is a joke , real shit happened in early 2000.
Witness - There is a pattern in everything.
Broken Age - We are in gaming era where games are broken in eps or require patches to fix bugs, so meta.
Syberia - Follow your guts.
Brothers - Go hug your brother.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Leisure Suit Larry: dating Naughty

No, more seriously:

Versailles by Cryo A lot of interesting facts about history during Louis XIV
Riddle of the Sphinx Archaeology, Egyptology
Police Quest US police procedures and criminal law

A lot of games although taught me English and part of the American culture as a kid. The first game I finished totally in English was Monkey Island
I’ve also learned a lot about myths and legends with games like Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight

Also Normality got me to read 1984

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Shadow of the Comet made me learn way more than I needed about photography. Too bad I already forgot everything.

Zork Nemesis - Chemistry

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 24 September 2016 08:06 AM

Zork Nemesis - Chemistry Alchemy

FYP

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 24 September 2016 08:10 AM
wilco - 24 September 2016 08:06 AM

Zork Nemesis - Chemistry Alchemy

FYP

No, I never had alchemy at school Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The most thing I have learned from adventures is patience and not just i learned it in the way of knowledge but had affected me personally.

I found this patience wears off too if I kept away from the genre sometimes.. so it’s not the kind thing i learn and stays with me..  but the kind of thing that comes with habit..

I remember I have always because of adventures been able to get to the bottom of things whether researching on the internet about something or practicing on my guitar..etc so my patience becomes relatively attached to my adventure gaming statues in a way..  that it usually worries me if a game got me stumped and found out my patience draining out.

Sorry if this general speaking about how it has affected me is somehow irrelative to the threads topic but anyway I will try to come out with certain titles that effected me.  but I am just on the phone right now and it’s kinda difficult.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

When I was in New Orleans I could actually find my way pretty easily around some places because I played GK1.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Day of the Tentacle taught me a few things about U.S. history that wasn’t covered in our schools. How Betsy Ross designed the American flag and the myths of Washington having wooden dentures and cutting down a cherry tree. Oddly, I already knew about Ben Franklin.

Leisure Suit Larry 7 was the first time I learned of the word ‘dildo’. So, thanks Al!

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2015-05-20

PM

I’m going to go with The Egyptian Prophecy for all its handy background info on Egypt. Kheops did a great job following up on Cryo’s historical adventures, which included games like the aforementioned Versailles 1685 and The Sacred Amulet. The info stuck with me after the game, which means it did its job well.

And overall, adventure games have actually taught me a lot about observation and problem-solving. I wouldn’t be nearly as constructive or creative with solutions to real-life problems had I not exercised that part of my brain in adventures. And the observation has even helped me appreciate my surroundings more. Whether I’m walking through the woods or walking through a department store, I tend to observe everything really closely and notice the smaller details.

Adventure games, great ones anyway, put so much effort into getting the details just right in every scene, no matter the setting. And that taught me to appreciate the beauty in my surroundings, no matter what they might be. From the gritty streets of New Orleans in Sins of the Fathes, to the New Age sci-fi aesthetic of Myst, to the industrial maze of Rhem, there’s a sense of beauty. It’s a different sort of beauty for each game, of course, but the atmosphere, the architecture, it all comes together into something truly meaningful.

Gaming has been quite a serious hobby for me, and I love that I’m able to get something more than just entertainment out of it. There’s life lessons to be learned.

Walking the fine line between being an original hardware nerd, and being broke from buying original hardware.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Valiant Hearts: The Great War: Probably the most educative adventure game I have ever played. Excellent WW1 stuff. Everything about WW1 actually….

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

BlakouttheMM - 25 September 2016 04:28 AM

Gaming has been quite a serious hobby for me.

that nailed it for me, me too i am always serious about playing (adventure games)
Thankx

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2015-05-20

PM

Glad you liked my post! I sometimes feel a bit self-conscious talking about how seriously I take gaming as a hobby, even though I’m here on a gaming forum. too many grandmas in my area telling me to read a book! Although I do read quite a bit as well… Smile

Walking the fine line between being an original hardware nerd, and being broke from buying original hardware.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its always been like this with me too, it is like a secret love, you can not talk about to anyone Laughing

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 25 September 2016 04:33 AM

Valian Hearts: The Great War: Probably the most educative adventure game I have ever played. Excellent WW1 stuff. Everything about WW1 actually….

Good choice. I think there were clips and bits of information from time to time giving certain background information. Like when the dog appeared, there would be an info box about their use in the war.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Papers,Please
Immigration or Visa bureaucracy simulation, not that its hard for one side.
Its tough on both sides.
Its also a social commentary on gaming, how to use immigration process as game mechanic.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top