• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Inkle’s Sorcery! Episode 4 released

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Didnt see any topics about this excellent interactive fiction adventure and figured now is a good time to remedy that since the final episode in this 4 part adventure just released yesterday. I just finished the 2nd part and while it has the potential to be frustrating because of time travel loops, it came together quite brilliantly. I am in love with the spell casting to solve puzzles, and finding objects to do spell casting. I hope to see more aesthetic & entertaining IF from inkle.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I thought this was a trilogy. The story didn’t finish?
I played the first one and part of the second until I lost interest. Didn’t find the story very interesting. 80 days grabbed me more

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I think they announced it as 4 parts from the beginning. And i also stopped playing the 2nd part a long while ago. I revisited it recently and am very glad i did. But yeah its what id call a minimalist story: youre looking for the crown of kings and any other details come slowly. The city of khare in the 2nd episode has its own very neat story though.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It’s always been meant to be four parts—like the original book series.

I really like the series, though I guess nostalgia for the books plays some part in this (Sorcery! was my second favourite gamebook series when I was a kid). I wasn’t all that fond of what Inkle did with part 3 (open-world + time pressure is not a winning combination in my book), but I thought part 2 was great, and what little I’ve played of part 4 has been interesting so far.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I had most of the Fighting Fantasy books but never read/played Sorcery

Speaking of FF, anyone tried this new version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain? Looks good

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 24 September 2016 12:23 PM

Speaking of FF, anyone tried this new version of Warlock of Firetop Mountain? Looks good

I’ve thought about it (just like I almost backed the Kickstarter back then), and will probably buy it eventually, but that book was just so bad. No story, a formless mish-mash of a world, countless sudden deaths and dead-man-walking situations—it’s basically the KQ2 of gamebooks. I wish they had adapted pretty much literally any other FF book instead.

I wish someone would make a good digital version of the Blood Sword series. By far the best gamebooks ever made.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 September 2016 12:48 PM
wilco - 24 September 2016 12:23 PM

I’ve thought about it (just like I almost backed the Kickstarter back then), and will probably buy it eventually, but that book was just so bad. No story, a formless mish-mash of a world, countless sudden deaths and dead-man-walking situations—it’s basically the KQ2 of gamebooks. I wish they had adapted pretty much literally any other FF book instead.

I wish someone would make a good digital version of the Blood Sword series. By far the best gamebooks ever made.

Probably because it’s te most recognizable, they needed to attract nostalgia to the kickstarter.
Nostalgia got me to buy some of FF games on Steam and PSP minis, they all are the books on digital form and pretty much suck so now I’m trying to avoid impulse buys on this…

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

So, in light of this cool offer, a question for fans of the series:

How self-contained is #4? Is it very stupid to start it with no knowledge of the first three games nor the original CYOA novels?

This space intentionally left blank.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It’s the conclusion of the series. The game transfers everything from part to part: not only your equipment and (huge collection of) spell ingredients, but also every little decision you’ve made, every character you’ve met, even your personality traits. And a lot of it gets paid off in Part 4.

It’s not that the game will be too hard (I think I remember reading that it adjusts the difficulty down if you start with a new character), but you’ll miss out on a lot of stuff that comes from the continuity.

I’d say: Get Part 4 now that it’s on sale, but wait until you’ve bought and played the other three before starting it.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Someone asked the other day if your save from Sorcery Part 1 can be continued on a different device or platform in Part 2, but the posts disappeared due to a forum glitch. The answer is yes, your end of game cloud saves do work between device and even between platforms. So you can do Part 1 on an iPad (for example) and then Part 2 on an iPhone, Steam, or Android and continue with the same character.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top