• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Barrow Hill: The Dark Path

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

I agree. It takes the fun out of the game never to be sure if it’s kind of supposed to be like that.. or if it is just another bug.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think I’m done now too, for the moment. I’ve lost music and there seems to be too many other bugs such as missing hotspots. I’m pretty sure the next thing I have to do is press the symbols on the rock in a certain order but I haven’t been able to find any clues to what that might be. Maybe I’ve missed something, but more likely it’s a bug.

By the way, I still dislike Steam. Why did it update the game? I didn’t ask it to.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve been reading the Steam discussions and it seems like most people are getting stuck in the same place… if they get that far. Might be a missing hotspot and AFAIK nobody has finished the game yet. Far too many bugs. I bet this game has not been betatested properly. I mean, music/sounds disappearing after an update, really!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Uninstalled the game yesterday. I’m done betatesting…without being asked to.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Despite having purchased and downloaded I haven’t even managed to launch it yet.

By the sound of things I might leave it a week or two.

Has anyone picked up the Steam version of the original yet? I’m quite happy to pay a few quid to save me bothering to dig out the cd but only if it actually works! Laughing

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Intense Degree - 26 September 2016 10:37 AM

Despite having purchased and downloaded I haven’t even managed to launch it yet.

By the sound of things I might leave it a week or two.

That is the sensible thing to do.

Has anyone picked up the Steam version of the original yet? I’m quite happy to pay a few quid to save me bothering to dig out the cd but only if it actually works! Laughing

Yeah, I have. After I decided to stop playing The Dark Path for the time being. I played it for an hour last night and I’m glad I’m revisiting ten-year-old Barrow Hill, as I have forgotten some things, even people, that I thought were new in the Dark Path.  Shifty Eyed So I plan on finishing Barrow Hill before going back to Dark Path.

Total Posts: 512

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I actually decided to play the original before digging into the new one anyway. Hopefully things will be sorted with The Dark Path when I’m done with the older game. I’m enjoying it even more than I remember from playing it when it was released and am not very far from the end.

Found the old self-published DVD (sold before Lighthouse/Iceberg picked it up) and it has a small note saying I was among the first 100 people to buy the game so it contains a CD with the soundtrack and a postcard. Had completely forgotten about that.Smile Works like a charm without fuzz on my Windows 10 PC.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 26 September 2016 06:04 PM

Found the old self-published DVD (sold before Lighthouse/Iceberg picked it up) and it has a small note saying I was among the first 100 people to buy the game so it contains a CD with the soundtrack and a postcard. Had completely forgotten about that.Smile Works like a charm without fuzz on my Windows 10 PC.

I’m one of the other 99 people. Smile Never played the soundtrack, but the postcard has been on the wall of my gaming room for years.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’ve got one of those. The CD is all black and I can’t tell which side is up.
I can’t remember if I ever tried to play it.

And I had some other horror-themed game that had black plastic spiders in the DVD case.
One of the Last Half of Darkness games.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I’ve been playing through it, and even though I’m having some issues I’m really enjoying it. It really captures the atmosphere from the first game. I have lost music and am not sure how to progress from where I am.

It’s very cool you guys were one of the first 100! I missed that boat, though I did get one of the Dark Fall: Pins and Needles editions.  Smile

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Fantasysci5 - 26 September 2016 10:14 PM

It’s very cool you guys were one of the first 100! I missed that boat, though I did get one of the Dark Fall: Pins and Needles editions.  Smile

Got one of those too.Smile Dark Fall is probably the single game I have most copies of. The first one I bought was the original self-published version of the game on a CD-R.

Got the LHoD game with the spider too. Fun to dig the boxes full of games out of the closet. Happy about the digital distribution thing though.

Anyone know if The Dark Path will be released outside of Steam?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Fantasysci5 - 26 September 2016 10:14 PM

I’ve been playing through it, and even though I’m having some issues I’m really enjoying it. It really captures the atmosphere from the first game. I have lost music and am not sure how to progress from where I am.

It’s more than just the missing music, the woods are totally dead. I can hear my footsteps, that’s it. That wasn’t the case before the infamous update, was it. I’m replaying the first Barrow Hill and there’s lots of ambient sounds.

I’m pissed that the developer gave us empty promises for years and then unexpectedly offers us a buggy game, just because he wanted it released at the Equinox.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Veovis - 27 September 2016 02:47 AM

Anyone know if The Dark Path will be released outside of Steam?

It was reported in another forum that “it will be released on Steam and other download portals will be linked to from the website and the shadow tor studios store”.

So keep an eye out for it there
http://www.shadowtorstudios.co.uk/store/

Hopefully by the time it’s announced there the sound problems and other bugs will have been fixed.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ll wait until the weekend and see what happens. Just finished the original and can’t wait to start up the new one. I now consider Barrow Hill a minor classic! Just one or two pixel hunting moments and one underclued puzzle away from perfection.Smile

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m waiting too.
It will give them time to get the bugs out.
And I’d rather buy direct from Shadow Tor.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top