• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Barrow Hill: The Dark Path

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zobraks - 22 September 2016 03:11 AM
wilco - 21 September 2016 06:24 PM

Translated to portuguese Foot in mouth but I think I got the essence of it

The English translation of my little review is not nearly as bad as I expected it to be, either; GT even got some of the puns and not-so-often-used phrases.

It does make more sense in english. I suppose it was really meant to be “view from your own skull”? Smile
Excellent puzzles, atmosphere and good story, seems like a recipe for a great adventure.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Marie - 21 September 2016 10:45 PM
crabapple - 21 September 2016 10:24 PM

Where do you see that?
Jon Boakes (Darkling Room) and Matt Clark (Shadow Tor) are different people.

Err… gosh I must be tired. I browsed through numerous pages and for reasons I can’t remember, I simply came to the conclusion there were all made by the same person. No wonder I was so confused.

They do make similar types of games, and like Karlok said they’ve worked together.
Also the Shadow Tor store sells the Dark Fall and Lost Crown games as well as Barrow Hill, so that could be confusing too.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Downloading.  Cool

Only 12 euro. Discount.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Time has stood still in Barrow Hill. Buildings may have turned into ruins, but the great ambient sounds, the spooky atmosphere, Emma and her music, the confusing point-and-click directions, the bad acting made me feel right at home. Even the familiar spelling mistakes are right there at the beginning of the game: “Your listening…”

Love it. Smile

DavidN - 21 September 2016 09:37 AM

I would consider buying this game, but once again, as with the original Barrow Hill, the developer has ignored hearing impaired people and left out a subtitle option.  This is a serious oversight in my opinion.

Good news, the game does have subtitles. The voiced intro (good to hear from you, Emma!) didn’t have any though. Must be an oversight or a bug. 

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

the developer has ignored hearing impaired people and left out a subtitle option.  This is a serious oversight in my opinion.

Opinion seconded.

Karlok - 22 September 2016 02:25 PM

Good news, the game does have subtitles.

Yippee!
I had forgiven Barrow Hill (luckily there’s not much talking there), but subtitles are A MUST for non-native English speakers and hearing-impaired folks and I fall in both categories.

wilco - 22 September 2016 12:22 PM

Excellent puzzles, atmosphere and good story, seems like a recipe for a great adventure.

Sure, you can’t go wrong with such a recipe.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2006-11-21

PM

I’m pleased at the price point, but less than pleased at the 3:4 ratio still being bloody used by Boaksey.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2006-12-12

PM

zobraks - 22 September 2016 03:21 PM

the developer has ignored hearing impaired people and left out a subtitle option.  This is a serious oversight in my opinion.

Opinion seconded.

Karlok - 22 September 2016 02:25 PM

Good news, the game does have subtitles.

Yippee!
I had forgiven Barrow Hill (luckily there’s not much talking there), but subtitles are A MUST for non-native English speakers and hearing-impaired folks and I fall in both categories.

wilco - 22 September 2016 12:22 PM

Sure, you can’t go wrong with such a recipe.

That’s super, and I’m very happy to hear it.  I was confused, because on the Steam purchase page, the presence of subtitles was unchecked, so I assumed that they were not there.

This certainly looks like a purchase for me after all.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2016-09-16

PM

Karlok - 22 September 2016 03:58 AM

Your confusion is understandable since they’ve been working together for years. Matt Clark helps Jonathan Boakes with his games and vice versa. Same type of games too, same voice actors.

crabapple - 22 September 2016 01:21 PM

They do make similar types of games, and like Karlok said they’ve worked together.
Also the Shadow Tor store sells the Dark Fall and Lost Crown games as well as Barrow Hill, so that could be confusing too.

Thank you both, I was going insane here for a minute. Good info too! I’m tempted by the game but I’ll wait longer and see what you guys think of it.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Playing and enjoying, and for the 4:3 aspect ratio, I actually think it fits the overall game layout perfectly.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Agreed. It looks beautiful.

A few bugs popping up already, however.
Did anyone get the slingshot in their inventory without any idea where it came from? And when you select it a picture of a jug appears? Strange.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yeah, same here, must be a bug. I assumed I got the slingshot after emptying the box with teacups. Used the slingshot and didn’t see a jug.

PS: I’ve encountered several bugs, none of them gamestopping.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Hmm,the ‘crystal gem* didn’t end up in my inventory, just disappeared…suspecting a bug but doesn’t have to be of course. Anyone knows?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Same here. But it didn’t disappear, it went back to the pile of stones. So maybe we’re not supposed to take it.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m a little out of the loop on this. Is this a renamed Bracken Tor or an entirely new sequel which Matt made in the meantime?

Either way, very nice to see a new game from him.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

After the latest patch (I have no idea what it’s supposed to patch), music and most sounds are gone. Everything was fine before. Sigh. I stop playing for now. Too much wrong with this game, shouldn’t have been released yet.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top