Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

The X-files Game

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2004-08-07

PM

I have been wanting to play this again, I haven’t played it in years. Will it run under windows 10?

Thanks!

Faith Tongue

Total Posts: 1196

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

If you can hang on for a day or two I’ll see if I can get my copy working (Windows 10 64 bit).

Never cry for something that can’t cry for you.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Since I had a few minutes unexpectedly I’ve just tried and QuickTime is an immediate problem:

It does then finish the installation with:

but unsurprisingly fails to start because of QuickTime. I’ll try downloading a more recent version of QT later today if no-one else has come along with some info.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Actually, I’m not going to download QT because, in looking for an updated version, I found this:

Uninstall QT

Since my Windows 10 PC is my main one (and it’s well protected) I’m not about to take stupid risks. I will, however, try it on another, off-line, PC to see what happens but this will be Windows 7 I’m afraid.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-12-16

PM

I realise this isn’t a very helpful post to make, but I just thought I would comment anyway. I recently, last year I think, played through this game under Windows 10 so it is possible. Honestly, I don’t really remember now how I ended up getting it to work. It was something to do with Quicktime, I think. I think if you install….an older version of Quicktime you can get it to work. You can find older versions on Apple’s website I’m pretty sure.

Sorry it’s so vague and not very helpful, but I just wanted people to know it is possible. Well, it was last year. Unless they updated Windows 10 and broke compatibility somehow, it should be the same.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

mohok - 15 September 2016 07:38 PM

I realise this isn’t a very helpful post to make, but I just thought I would comment anyway. I recently, last year I think, played through this game under Windows 10 so it is possible. Honestly, I don’t really remember now how I ended up getting it to work. It was something to do with Quicktime, I think. I think if you install….an older version of Quicktime you can get it to work. You can find older versions on Apple’s website I’m pretty sure.

Sorry it’s so vague and not very helpful, but I just wanted people to know it is possible. Well, it was last year. Unless they updated Windows 10 and broke compatibility somehow, it should be the same.

Were you running 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 10, assuming that you remember of course? I haven’t had time to try on another machine yet but I suspect that it must have been 32 bit as the old version of QT that comes with the game won’t install on 64 bit.

Welcome to the AG forums! View the archived forums here »