• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obduction SPOILER thread

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 06 September 2016 02:43 PM
Karlok - 06 September 2016 02:38 PM

I finished it, but resorted to cheating. In spite of the frustrating bugs (photos!), some long loading times even in the middle of the game, no manual saves, and my non-existing sense of direction, I liked Obduction a lot. The story was interesting, most of the puzzles were either easy or doable, and the gameworld is very beautiful and immersive. I agree with Kurufinwe that some areas are unnecessarily huge. Impressive, atmospheric, but still too big. And I could have done without the many annoying Backer Rewards. Bad idea.

Nice details, for instance: [tiny spoiler alert]: I watched Farley’s hologram at her house twice, didn’t know what to make of it, but after finding the audio tape I listened to her hologram a third time and now everything made perfect sense.   Another example: You can have a look at all the chambers in the list. The acting is fine too. Robyn Miller is a better actor than his brother was in previous games.

This is one Kickstarter project I’m glad I backed. Four out of five stars.

Karlok, did you see both endings?. (Actually, 3 endings if you count the one you die)

What do you mean by the one you die? I must have missed something.

About the chambers, I have to say I didn’t crack the numerical system but got lucky instead with different tries…

I didn’t either. Smile Hate that kind of stuff. Other people did though…
Trying every single chamber would of course be immensely boring.

Question: I’m not clear on some aspects of the story. Still trying to make mental connections between events. Like,[spoiler] who did C.W. expect when you first meet him (one of the Villeins?) and why did he leave that note in Farley’s mailbox? I mean, weren’t all souls supposed to be chambered in?[/spoiler] 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

So I started a new game, just to have another look at Farley’s mailbox. This time I didn’t have to switch languages to avoid the loading screen bug. But it’s like Cyan replaced one bug with another, cause there’s a BLANK piece of paper in the mailbox. And no subtitles… although I turned them on.

Sigh.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 06 September 2016 03:24 PM

What do you mean by the one you die? I must have missed something.

If you get too close to the red bomb at end you die. i also didn’t but I’ve read it’s possible.

About the note and CW I’m going to have to restart, can’t remember what is says.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Here’s the note to Farley:

To Caroline (or whomever else might come back),
It has been five days and not a soul has returned. I’m inclined to believe things have not gone well.
Yet, surprisingly, I am still alive, and that both supremely perplexes me, and gives me some portion of hope. I have retreated to my vault for protection and to contemplate my options.
C.W.

Did you notice the easter egg on the back of the poster on the table in the garage? Cyan made a children’s game, The Manhole, released by Activision, 26 July 1988.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 06 September 2016 04:56 PM

Here’s the note to Farley:

To Caroline (or whomever else might come back),
It has been five days and not a soul has returned. I’m inclined to believe things have not gone well.
Yet, surprisingly, I am still alive, and that both supremely perplexes me, and gives me some portion of hope. I have retreated to my vault for protection and to contemplate my options.
C.W.

Did you notice the easter egg on the back of the poster on the table in the garage? Cyan made a children’s game, The Manhole, released by Activision, 26 July 1988.

I think the CW note was for Farley when/if she returned from stasis. He was also expecting it was her at the beginning.

About the easter eggs I didn’t see a single one but I’m also not know Cyan games very well. I guess I should play Myst and specially Riven…

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I also finished Obduction and have mixed feelings about it. It is an impressive game, with wonderful graphics, huge worlds and clever puzzles. But what I don’t like was the ending. After I spended hours and hours teleporting back and forward, figured out how to make bridges, put all machines to work (just to realize that one part of a monstruose machine had to be turned off to continue), died because I messed up with something I was not suppose to and finally connected the 4 trees I received THAT kind of an end? I don’t know about you but I didn’t like it. I expected much more of it. At least that I could explore the rest of the planet after I removed the dome and was able to see, at the top of the tower, nice places to have a look around.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Someone (not me) spotted an easter egg.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think the endings were ok, although the good ending felt too open for what could be a sequel, didn’t give enough answers.
The bad ending was more complete although not very surprising since you already seen before earth was mostly destroyed

I think the most disappointing aspect for me was that there was no 4th world to explore, it was basically - here is the 4th world, the tree is here. Was such a letdown….

Some parts of the green world were also a bit disappointing since the puzzles were linear and involved some slow jumping between worlds, despite already knowing what to do.

My favorite puzzle moment might have been figuring out that you had to teleport the railway laser car to the rock world to destroy the red laser dome there

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Yes, wilco, when I saw the laser beam on the blue world and teleported back to Arizona world, I thought to myself “Hey, great, there is a track in the back of the house. But where the hell did I leave the put-put car?” I spent some time running around to find it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I may be biased because I get lost so easily, but for me there was too much teleporting. Annoying. I feel the game would have been better if they’d added a 4th world to the hub, like in the stretch goals, and made the other ones a bit smaller with less teleporting. I also didn’t care for the base 4 puzzles. Repeat of Riven, where it was executed better IMO, but even then I didn’t like this type of puzzle.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 06 September 2016 05:20 PM

I think the CW note was for Farley when/if she returned from stasis. He was also expecting it was her at the beginning.

But in what circumstances would she return to C.W.? I don’t get it. I probably missed a book or some notes.

I guess I should play Myst and specially Riven…

Yes, do play Riven.  Cool

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 08 September 2016 09:02 AM
wilco - 06 September 2016 05:20 PM

But in what circumstances would she return to C.W.? I don’t get it. I probably missed a book or some notes.

Wasn’t the plan to hide in the chamber because of the war until things are solved? CW just didn’t agree with the plan and stayed behind to work on his project to go back home.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t really know. I remember Cecil saying something like “what kept you so long” at our first meeting just before he realized I was a newcomer. Maybe I remembered wrong.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Question?

I’m a little behind in downloading my game from HumbleBundle, (and I wonder why they call it “Obduction-2”  when it’s only “Obduction”) but mainly I can’t decide whether to download the PC version from Steam or GOG. 

I want the one which is good about updating to the newest version, since the game is updating all the time.  I’m not partial to Steam and seem to remember some uproar about being able to transfer the games to a new computer.  So how is GOG in this regard?

So what do you think?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Gog also has a client (gog Galaxy) that updates the game automatically, you shouldn’t have a problem with that. Don’t know if the patches arrive first on Steam, probably at the same time.

Not sure what s the problem you are talking about about games in a new computer

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 14 September 2016 04:06 PM

Not sure what s the problem you are talking about about games in a new computer

Same here. I bought a more powerful computer a couple of months ago and had no problem installing my Steam games on the new computer.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top