• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Beginner’s Guide (..or new comers’)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i don’t know why me, but i had received two PMs from two different new members asking about a strategy they could follow to become the kind of adventurer whom would be able to play most of everything and every adventure out there whether old or new.

my reply was the following, suggesting 5 ags to play in a row:
_Emerald City Confidential
_Lilly looking through
_The Silent Age
_Anna’s Quest
_Broken Sword 5 The Serpent’s Curse

but i thought maybe members here could have a better recipe in general for new comers who would be shy enough to ask….(maybe using or suggesting casuals which i have no idea of to create a better strategy.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Try this instead: The Beginner’s Guide

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i never know when you are being serious or just kiddin .... but again look whos talking

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 25 July 2016 05:07 PM

_Lilly looking through
_The Silent Age
_Anna’s Quest

Seems like a good progression in difficulty.
Why not the first Broken Sword instead of the fifth? And maybe add a game with death and dead ends if the objective would be to play also all old games.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Hmm. For an introductory mixtape I’d want to include a range of:
* graphical styles - 1st/3rd-person, realistic/cartoon/pixel art.
* flow styles - more or less story-driven, linear or more exploratory
* puzzle styles - abstract, inventory, lateral thinking
* ages - something new, something old but readily available.
* settings.

I’d also try to avoid games that make self-referential jokes about Adventure game tropes - that could tend to be offputting for a newcomer.
Was there a reason you suggested Broken Sword 5 rather than the first one? I’d have thought the first (or the updated edition of the first) was a more obvious place to start.

Here’s my try at a list, in no particular order:
* Voyage aka Journey to the Moon
* Dark Fall: The Journal
* The Secret of Monkey Island
* Syberia (I’m not a fan of the series but it’s a good example of a certain style of game)
* The Walking Dead

If I’m allowed a bonus pick, it might be good to add a text adventure too - something well implemented so the parser isn’t obstructive. Maybe Wishbringer, Planetfall or Curses.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 26 July 2016 06:59 AM
Advie - 25 July 2016 05:07 PM

_Lilly looking through
_The Silent Age
_Anna’s Quest

Seems like a good progression in difficulty.
Why not the first Broken Sword instead of the fifth? And maybe add a game with death and dead ends if the objective would be to play also all old games.

the idea wasn’t to help a new comer to be a superman adventurer but to put him/her on the track of understanding and create some kind of love and attachment to the genre.
as for BS1 or BS5, we all know the BS5 is the easiest of them all, and what comes next is up to him/her to decide, he/she might not finish the process in the 1st place, or might eat them in no time and crave for more, and in that case he/she wouldn’t need any advice or direction to what to try next,
and after all i might be wrong, or wouldn’t have started this thread to hear different opinions .

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Phlebas - 26 July 2016 07:29 AM

Hmm. For an introductory mixtape I’d want to include a range of:
* graphical styles - 1st/3rd-person, realistic/cartoon/pixel art.
* flow styles - more or less story-driven, linear or more exploratory
* puzzle styles - abstract, inventory, lateral thinking
* ages - something new, something old but readily available.
* settings.

* graphical styles - 1st/3rd-person, realistic/cartoon/pixel art:

the 1st/3rd person variations is a crucial point to newcomers, so if one started with 3rd person’s only (or vice versa) 1st person ags will feel too different to an extent of a feeling as if it was from another genre, so bottom line I do agree that this is a must, which exposes a *kinda* defiant unbalance at my list (above).

* flow styles - more or less story-driven, linear or more exploratory:

this i think comes with time, and might affect the beginner stream (of hopeful) involvement with genre, in another way, it’s way too early to expose these kinds (too less challenging adventures) or subcategories which i guess would do nuthing but to confuse him/her when he/she is just stepping the first step?, we ourselves are confused how strong they are attached/belonging to the genre in 1st place.

* puzzle styles - abstract, inventory, lateral thinking:

are those aspects define any kind of adventure, did you ever seen a game box marketing a game upon those elements? , hard to include them into the subject of clarifying the genre to newcomers whom had heard about it but never had the chance to experience.
you know Phlebas, i will tell short story, one of my strangest moment for times i seen non-adventure gamers making fun of our genre, was the time when i was watching two guys playing(through) one of the recent adventures for Wadjet Eye, (why the hell were they playing it while they are hating them i have no fucking idea)it was primordia (i guess, if my memory saves me correct but it was a Wadjet Eye Sci Fi adventure) and one of them threw the oddest comment i ever heard (” i cant believe there are people still enjoying these pixeled art games in the year 2013-14” or so), i wanted to throw a comment over the video but the cat ate my tongue Tongue , cuz i couldn’t drive myself in the mood of been able to say a phrase of 20-30 words to reply back, i think i needed two paper long of explaining or just two word starting with ‘F’ and ends with ‘U’.

* ages - something new, something old but readily available:

i thought of this since the inquiry was to ...play most of everything and every adventure out there whether old or new., but again i came to believe that if i want to bring in a newcomer really*** into the genre the least i could do is to hand him something with a solid modern outlook than pixeled designing adventure, anything made at this millennium would do , didnt you ask yourself how couldn’t i include a sierra adventure into the list??

* settings:

i am sorry but i do not get what exactly are you implying with setting by itself that wasn’t included at all the four line above Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top