• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 25 July 2016

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Murran Chronicles Episode 1 - The Jersey Devil

The 1st episode in this trilogy by Weggieware Games is a complete story in which protagonist Ken Murran, on vacation away from his desk job as an analyst for the FBI, is drawn into investigating the abduction of a small child by a strange winged creature.

The game, made simply using AGS, has a bizarre mixture of graphical style described as ‘patchwork’ which I quite liked, the game play was pleasing enough but for me the strong point of the game was the research that had been done to enlighten the player to one of the theories about a mythical being ingrained in the folklore of New Jersey, i.e. The Jersey Devil of course, (& here was me initially thinking that the game was set in the Channel Islands!  Gasp)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sounds interesting, I never heard of the Jersey Devil until Wolf Among Us

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Me neither & had completely forgotten about his presence, but now being tempted to look there’s not too much info about him in the Fables gallery where he’s obviously featured lacking ‘glamour’!

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I live near the pine barrens in NJ, and there are many stories that have circulated about the Jersey devil, also called the Leed’s devil.  In the late 1960s, John McPhee wrote an excellent book called The Pine Barrens, which discusses the 650,000-acre reserve and its legends.  I think it’s neat that there are games about the beast.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

If you ever have the time or inclination to play the game Lady Kestrel (it’s free & only takes about 2 hours at the most) I would be interested in your impression of this take on the myth as the setting is ‘Leeds Point’ amongst the ‘Pine Barrens’ of southern NJ & the Leeds family/connection are referred to!  Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Interesting graphics. It looks like the background is a photo and the character is rather cartoony.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It does seem that the developer was dabbling with a few methods as this is one of the 1st screenshots of the game albeit an unplayable area:

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I take it that neither Chrissie nor Wilco watched the X-Files? Episode 5 of the very first season was all about the Jersey Devil Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Laughing I watched episodes of the X-Files here & there Jabod, enjoyed them but don’t remember watching that particular one (it was a long time ago!) Also, I’m not sure that the makers of the X-Files were so conscientious about presenting ‘legends’ as they really were based on just a brief look at some of the details of that particular episode which doesn’t seem to have too much authenticity about it?  Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

X-files season 1 I’m almost certain I watched at the time, but yeah, I don’t remember anything about it.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’m sure there was a reference in at least one of the Sam&Max; games, too! Probably just in passing, though.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Chrissie/Wilco.

I was being a little unfair there as I never watched the X-Files (still bought the game though on release Smile ) as I haven’t owned a TV in nearly 25 years. With a change in life being semi-retired and lucky enough to own a superb NEC 30” monitor I’ve been buying boxed sets of TV shows/films that interested me in passing when they were first released. Obviously X-files was one box set that I bought. Only watched season one so far which is why I could remember the episode. As far as it went is was rather simplistic, overly humanitarian on one side and red-neck type stupidity and ignorance on the other. All-in-all it was a decidedly weak episode Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 July 2016 01:22 PM

I live near the pine barrens in NJ, and there are many stories that have circulated about the Jersey devil, also called the Leed’s devil.  In the late 1960s, John McPhee wrote an excellent book called The Pine Barrens, which discusses the 650,000-acre reserve and its legends.  I think it’s neat that there are games about the beast.

There have been several movies that have dealt with the Jersey Devil. Don’t think that any were very successful. But at least they were out there in a simplistic horror kind of way.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 28 July 2016 03:29 PM

I was being a little unfair there as I never watched the X-Files (still bought the game though on release Smile ) as I haven’t owned a TV in nearly 25 years. With a change in life being semi-retired and lucky enough to own a superb NEC 30” monitor I’ve been buying boxed sets of TV shows/films that interested me in passing when they were first released. Obviously X-files was one box set that I bought. Only watched season one so far which is why I could remember the episode. As far as it went is was rather simplistic, overly humanitarian on one side and red-neck type stupidity and ignorance on the other. All-in-all it was a decidedly weak episode Smile

On reading a little more Jabod it does seem that the writers for that X-Files episode did a little more research than I gave credit to but there are so many theories - I do favour the one portrayed in this very humble Freeware game though (aside from the storyline)!

rtrooney - 28 July 2016 08:42 PM
Lady Kestrel - 25 July 2016 01:22 PM

There have been several movies that have dealt with the Jersey Devil. Don’t think that any were very successful. But at least they were out there in a simplistic horror kind of way.

I’ve come across 2 so far Tim (but haven’t watched): The Barrens (2012) & The Jersey Devil (2005).    Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top