• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Visual Novels

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Heyyy, so I have a vague idea for a game. I think it will probably work best in the visual novel format (commands on the right side, text on the bottom). But! I haven’t played many visual novels. So can any of you recommend any with interesting gameplay mechanics?

Here is a list of what I have played:
-I played one Famicom Detective Club game, which I believe is like, the standard visual novel, just a classic detective story.
-I played a bunch of Ace Attorney games. They have the investigation segments, which are like the actual visual novel parts, and then the court parts which is where you have to use your brain. The court segments are fun, but they’re not really what I have in mind for gameplay.
-I played 999. It’s basically a standard visual novel interspersed with room-escape puzzles.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve played a few visual novels where you had a cell phone and used it to advance the game.

I would also recommend adding a few organic puzzles to the game, these seem to make them more interesting to play.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Read this thread about the term visual novel

Play Steins Gate

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Mikekelly - 20 July 2016 06:48 AM

I’ve played a few visual novels where you had a cell phone and used it to advance the game.

I would also recommend adding a few organic puzzles to the game, these seem to make them more interesting to play.

Heart

What games had the cell phone thing? How did it work?

What do you mean by organic puzzles? Like puzzles that develop naturally as part of the story? Or puzzles that literally involve organic things like plants and animals?

wilco - 20 July 2016 08:40 AM

Play Steins Gate

Okay so I guess I am using the term ‘visual novel’ incorrectly. I probably called those games visual novels because they are from Japan and have huge text segments.

I will check out this Steins Gate probably!

—-

I am probably more thinking of the commands-on-the-side, move-from-location-to-location-in-first-person type of game rather than VN’s. I think I want it to feel like, rather than playing a game, you are controlling an interface that is controlling the game (not counting the interface of you and your computer of course.)

So the cell phone thing sounds interesting. Also I’ve read of a game where you switch between characters, and one where you travel through time and create alternate timelines.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

1) Stein’s Gate uses a cell phone. It was fun.

2) yes, puzzles that develop naturally as part of the story are considered organic puzzles.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

desiderio59 - 20 July 2016 07:20 PM

Heart

What do you mean by organic puzzles? Like puzzles that develop naturally as part of the story? Or puzzles that literally involve organic things like plants and animals?

Play Steins Gate

Okay so I guess I am using the term ‘visual novel’ incorrectly. I probably called those games visual novels because they are from Japan and have huge text segments.

—-

I am probably more thinking of the commands-on-the-side, move-from-location-to-location-in-first-person type of game rather than VN’s. I think I want it to feel like, rather than playing a game, you are controlling an interface that is controlling the game (not counting the interface of you and your computer of course.)

So the cell phone thing sounds interesting. Also I’ve read of a game where you switch between characters, and one where you travel through time and create alternate timelines.

Silvercase coming this fall will fit your bill.
You can try Snatcher and Policenauts too.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

desiderio59 - 20 July 2016 07:20 PM

Heart

Play Steins Gate

—-

In most visual novels, you have action/dialogue trees at various points which is how the game determines the path you take.  Steins Gate manages to do a modified form of this with a cell phone used in creative ways that gives it a very unique feel.

For some other options more along the lines of what you’re indicating, the recent Read Only Memories, as well as classics like Snatcher, Policenauts, and YU-NO fit more of the interface description.

Some more options you might take inspiration from if you have access to a DS, 3DS, or DS emulator with some unique style or interface:

Time Hollow(DS)  - It’s a traditional visual novel for the most part but has the unique twist of using the DS touch screen to “cut holes in time” to solve a variety of puzzles.

Hotel Dusk Room 215(DS) - First person interface with puzzle solving using the DS in some creative ways, including using the microphone for puzzles.

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West(DS) - Sequel to Hotel Dusk.

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward(3DS and Vita) - If you played 999, I suggest you play it’s sequel, Zero Escape, as in my view it’s vastly better(and I regard 999 as a pretty good game).

Hope this helps you.

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

@nomadsoul
Yep, looking forward to Silver Case as we discussed in another thread. I’ll play either Snatcher or Policenauts, I’ve heard of them before. Also, didn’t you mention that you translated visual novels or something? Can you think of any with interesting mechanics?

@HitBattousai
I tried Yu-No because the timeline-hopping thing sounds pretty neat, but the gratuitous scenes were too long and I dropped the game. I think I will try Time Hollow and Hotel Dusk, they sound interesting.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

desiderio59 - 25 July 2016 07:54 PM

@nomadsoul
Yep, looking forward to Silver Case as we discussed in another thread. I’ll play either Snatcher or Policenauts, I’ve heard of them before. Also, didn’t you mention that you translated visual novels or something? Can you think of any with interesting mechanics?

We were in starting scenes of translation of Silvercase and Moonlight/TwlightSyndrome, but dropped after announcement.
There is a good jap Shadowrun MegaCD AG visual novel fantranslation on the way.
But most of the times these visual novels are not called VN when they have some major mechanic to progress story.

Steins gate, Silvercase, Snatcher are must for starters.
Because they have good story.

Timehollow types have average stories with some new mechanics thrown in.

You can keep a check on 5pb games , they are famous in japan for their stories and style.
Check on their translated versions and future rleases like

Anonymous code,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous;Code

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5pb.

But

Before anything , rightnow you can jump into VA11HallA Cyberpunk Bartender, available on steam with 98% rating, it has greaat writing, development, tight music, good art and
mechanic to mix drinks and serve customers in order to shape narrative and ending.

Get it, its gonna be best AG this year along with Inside or Syberia3 if it wont delay

http://store.steampowered.com/app/447530/

“VA-11 Hall-A is a funny, thought-provoking, and sometimes tragic work of art, with truly original gameplay and a beautiful aesthetic unlike anything else on the market.”
10/10 – CG Magazine

“VA-11 HALL-A is a damn fine video game, and that’s the bottom line.”
9/10 – Destructoid

“VA-11 Hall-A is a stunning adventure that manages to deliver one of gaming’s greatest stories.”
9.5/10 – TechRaptor

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

One of the best pure VN’s supposedly is Devil in G-String. A censored version was recently released on Steam. Censored, because the original game contained some sexual content.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

Seems like nobody here noticed Umineko is on Steam now.

EDIT: This looked like a general VN discussion thread, but looking at the top post, it may not be?!?!

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

namehaver - 26 July 2016 05:49 AM

Seems like nobody here noticed Umineko is on Steam now.

EDIT: This looked like a general VN discussion thread, but looking at the top post, it may not be?!?!

I recommend everyone to download it straight from mangagamer.com
DRM free.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Steam also released Muv-Luv recently that has a lot of positive impressions

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Owh nice! Thanks NomadSoul for putting VA-11 Hall A on my radar. A highly praised visual novel that is available on GOG.com(I hate Steam)? It’s going on my wishlist and will be purchased the first discount it sees.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

CollarxMalice , aksys bringing it to west on vita

My old ps2 fav VN

Scandal

Its animation was done by Production IG, who did Gits

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I love visual novels on the PS Vita. I will so get this game. Thanks for the information!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top