• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nudity removed in Pendulo Studios’s Yesterday

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

I’ve recently found out that the Steam version censored a scene in all versions but the Russian release.

The English version:

Over in Russia (NSFW):

http://i.imgur.com/4s28gHF.jpg 

Was this change made to any other versions of the game? How about boxed copies? Were any other scenes censored? Why was this censorship made?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the same thing had happened long ago to Overclocked intro, and let me tell i was too surprised that the dev had nothing to with, even didn’t know about it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

So much for Yesterday featuring in this thread.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That’s some weird censorship

Advie - 08 July 2016 05:48 AM

the same thing had happened long ago to Overclocked intro, and let me tell i was too surprised that the dev had nothing to with, even didn’t know about it.

Who did it? The publisher on Steam?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dan_Dan_91_07 - 08 July 2016 05:31 AM

Why was this censorship made?

Because ass and nipple images are proven to cause cancer, racism and famine. I don’t get to say this often but - well done, Russia.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 08 July 2016 06:44 AM

sorry wilco, i have no idea, even the dev back then when i asked his reply was like “there’s always strange things happening with games in the Russian market.”!!

i didnt elaborate but sounds (the case for Overclocked) that he was aware only* of the girl from cell#2 haveing her breasts covered/cencored

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 08 July 2016 07:17 AM

ass and nipple images are proven to cause cancer, racism and famine.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 08 July 2016 07:21 AM

sorry wilco, i have no idea, even the dev back then when i asked his reply was like “there’s always strange things happening with games in the Russian market.”!!

i didnt elaborate but sounds (the case for Overclocked) that he was aware only* of the girl from cell#2 haveing her breasts covered/cencored

That’s ok, it’s just weird because the steam store doesn’t have a problem with nudity so why are some publishers going through the trouble of censoring games?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 08 July 2016 07:47 AM
Advie - 08 July 2016 07:21 AM

That’s ok, it’s just weird because the steam store doesn’t have a problem with nudity so why are some publishers going through the trouble of censoring games?

Looks like publishers need to play lucius…

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

?

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-07-22

PM

Just want to ask same thing. return man unblocked Thank you man !

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

here wilco, what i ve been telling you about Overclocked’s censored version

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

The stripper in Martin Mystere (Crime Stories) was censored in the American version as well.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 27 July 2016 01:20 PM

here wilco, what i ve been telling you about Overclocked’s censored version

I’m really glad they put a bra in a crazy woman firing a gun in the middle of street in a rainy day, nipples are destroying the world Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

At the time Overclocked came out, PC games were still largely sold at retail and large chains like Walmart would not carry a game with an M rating. If it’s a choice between standing up for the right to show a nipple or having a chance to actually sell copies of your game, that’s kind of a no brainer.

(And it’s not just about nipples… for example there were two versions of the Catherine box art—the “risque” one, and the Walmart one. http://catherine.wikia.com/wiki/Editions )

I don’t know why the art would have been changed in Yesterday seeing as it’s not rated by the ESRB, but does the nudity actually add anything to the story? (I have no idea, haven’t played it.) Removing gratuitous nudity to market to a certain audience isn’t the same as censorship.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

fov - 28 July 2016 12:18 PM

At the time Overclocked came out, PC games were still largely sold at retail and large chains like Walmart would not carry a game with an M rating. If it’s a choice between standing up for the right to show a nipple or having a chance to actually sell copies of your game, that’s kind of a no brainer.

Removing gratuitous nudity to market to a certain audience isn’t the same as censorship.

Hi fov !

still, there are some Qs that (i have in mind)  cannot seem to get them answered ! if only the Russian market has/had the nudity (cut)scene for Overclocked’s intro and as you said its ‘no brainer’ to decide what to censor and what not when it comes to marketing (or the retailing) rules for different venues; which version was the original release?, sounds as a stupid Q (i know) because definitely the uncensored has had to be it and eventually and the censoring would take place after; but how come Martin (take my words for that) haven’t had the idea/knowledge of it being anything but cencored or (or breasts covered).

so who did the (un)censoring and when?, i mean was it censored at upon different releases/versions from the start according to zone’s code, or the process took the natural course? but only for some kind of Martin’s sorts of different levels of involvement he hasn’t had seen the intro before the game’s release as we all kinda know his main talent and involvements are at the story and narrative sections, not the graphics/animation or desinging??

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top