• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 26 June

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers: Non-remastered. The original. 100%. Much better, man!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Diego, I’m curious to know which games below 640x480 you would not classify as cartoons.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 27 June 2016 06:49 AM

Diego, I’m curious to know which games below 640x480 you would not classify as cartoons.

OOOOKKK, I see where you’re getting at. Grin Great question. I had doubts about this one, but let me try to explain:

Wikipedia states that “A cartoon is a form of two-dimensional illustrated visual art… modern usage refers to a typically non-realistic or semi-realistic drawing or painting…” Semi-realistic is definitely where I would put GK1 graphical style, although I can see proofs for realism as well. However, the graphics follows at least in slight dosage the supernatural plot, like the woods:

the bright, orange palette at the ritual:

and, of course, the whole comic-like feel throughout the game

THIS is realism, poor one at that. As for your question, the low-res realism would certainly be Countdown:

Martian Memorandum:

even Shadow of the Comet:

or Fate of Atlantis to a certain extent.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i would call Avengers(i.e) the Movie a cartoonish movie, no problem, it doesnt really reflect the matter beliefs or knowledge, is LSL1 a realistic adventure with all the realistic setting of the game, i guess not. does DoTT considered a cartoonish Adventure? for me its a realistic one, but anyways i guess Diego went a bit far here, it’s kinda hard to consider GK a cartoonish adventure, for many reasons . but then to each his own Cool

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 27 June 2016 07:47 AM

i would call Avengers(i.e) the Movie a cartoonish movie, no problem, it doesnt really reflect the matter beliefs or knowledge, is LSL1 a realistic adventure with all the realistic setting of the game, i guess not. does DoTT considered a cartoonish Adventure? for me its a realistic one, but anyways i guess Diego went a bit far here, it’s kinda hard to consider GK a cartoonish adventure, for many reasons . but then to each his own Cool

Good questions.
I would actually consider LSL1 a realistic adventure - at least when we talk about the graphical style, semi-realistic when talking about the story Wink Whereas I very clearly consider DotT cartoonish both in graphical style but also in story.

As for GK then I have always considered it a realistic, even though it does borrow heavily from cartoons or visual novels at some scenes.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 27 June 2016 08:21 AM

Whereas I very clearly consider DotT cartoonish both in graphical style but also in story.

yea I must admit I ranked it wrongly then it’s suppose to be ! Smile
come on advie, tentacles… tentaaacles Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top