• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 20 June

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Purgatorio

We’re away from “pixel art” this week into the realms of photograph and film for Purgatorio. This is NOT FMV I should hasten to add, the backgrounds are photos/images and the characters are animated from live action film footage. Rotoscoping without the tracing paper and colouring pencils if you will! Wink

As I have said before, I am always wary of freeware games using photos as backgrounds as they are often lazy and terrible, but fortunately this is one to add to the “Good” pile as all photos were taken by the creator (with one exception admittedly) and are consistent stylistically and well used. Think Mudlarks or The Oracle for anyone who has played those.

In terms of the game itself, you play as Frank O’Shea, a soldier on a peacekeeping mission who is injured in the line of duty, blacks out and wakes to find himself in a strange town. Or was that a strangely almost familiar town? How did he get there and can he get away are the questions that provide the premise of the game.

Although there are certainly good things to say about the game, it is a little lacking as a cohesive whole, and that is perhaps because it was made as a portfolio piece nearly 10 years ago by a chap named Jonathan Lynch, who has subsequently gone on to take up development professionally working previously for Popcap and currently DIGIT, who are the largest game designer in Ireland. So sadly not in adventure games then! Wink

It’s an interesting game and certainly worth taking for a test drive at some point.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for the recommendation Intense Degree - I’m always intrigued by a game that uses photos or actual video footage - especially a Freeware one!  Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top