• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Goetia

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I felt this game needed a thread. No one’s playing this?

Don’t be put off by the casual/lite look - this is very much a traditional adventure. In fact, the closest thing to it I can think of is probably Boakes’ Dark Fall series. Notes and books provide most of the story, as well as clues for the puzzles.

I feel the game gets the ‘horror’ tone just right. It’s spooky and serious but never threatening, it suggests dark things have happened without throwing them in your face. Avoiding voice acting was a wise choice - it works well.

Classy - that’s the word I’d use describe this game. I’m only about a third of the way through, but so far so good.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so do you really agree with the full score/rating or not?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Too early to tell. I can certainly see why someone might have liked it enough to justify a full score.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2013-01-06

PM

Started plaing few days ago…
Fantastic game! Must play!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The 5-star review definitely caught my interest, and I’m planning on playing this one when I have a little bit of time.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Not many reviews but they all seem very positive. I backed this game on kickstarter because of the solid demo, seemed like a good effort from the start, glad it turned out great. Haven’t got around to playing it yet.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-03-01

PM

Frankly, I am quite shocked that this game rated 5 stars.  Although it was an enjoyable game with a few impossible puzzles, I don’t see how it rates up there with games like Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, just to name a few. And it rated better than games like Scratches, Samorost 3, The Book of Unwritten Tales, etc, etc. Sorry, I just don’t get it. Gasp

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Agree with you that 5 stars rating system is quite blunt and simplistic and must be changed to out of 100 scoring system like many serious gaming sites.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Gabe - 30 June 2016 11:41 AM

Agree with you that 5 stars rating system is quite blunt and simplistic and must be changed to out of 100 scoring system like many serious gaming sites.

Yes, because an arbitrary number is WAY more important than the actual content of a review…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

It’s not about seperating content and rating value but how you combine them end of the review what makes you think it’s a perfect game,the content or the five stars rating ?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Gabe - 01 July 2016 04:01 AM

end of the review what makes you think it’s a perfect game,the content or the five stars rating ?

Neither.

The only thing that’ll make me think something is a (near-)perfect game is if I’ve played it myself and find it that.

The review and rating just say that the reviewer thinks it’s a near-perfect game, and enough info is provided for me to assess whether or not I’d like the game myself. Which is all a review should do.

An overreliance on ratings is bad. It leads to producers only caring about the Metacritic rating, which is definitely the wrong approach. It’s what’s destroying the AAA scene, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Gabe - 30 June 2016 11:41 AM

The day that someone can actually explain what the different ratings actually mean, and what eg. the difference between a rating of 82 and 84 actually is, then I will support the 100 system. But until then then I will maintain that they are just arbitrary numbers completely devoted of any meaning whatsoever!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I bought the game based on Oscar’s post. I’m having a lot of fun with it. It seems like most of the world just opened up, and I’m wondering how confusing it’s going to turn out to be, if their puzzles are self-contained or if they’re interconnected. The game kind of feels like a Metroidvania in some ways, since you open up new areas in old locations, and also you get what are basically power-ups. Also there’s a cool labyrinth world made of old-timey photographs.

Unfortunately, I got a “program not responding” message so I just chose to end the program. Then the next time I started the game, my save data was corrupt. Since it’s a puzzle game, it’s not hard to get back to where I left, but I it would suck if this kept happening. This wouldn’t have even been a problem if the game let you create separate save files in-game so you always have a backup. Anyway, you can avoid this problem by finding the save directory and making a back-up file once in a while.

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m exactly 50 percent through Goetia and completely stuck… Boy, this one is hard! There are some puzzles and stuff I know I need to do but can’t find no clues whatsoever about how to proceed. I’ve managed so far without a wt but have not been very impressed with some of the solutions to the puzzles or the clues (or lack thereof) to them. Such a great game in many ways, but the puzzle design makes me considering putting this one on the Steam shelf for good and move on.

Anybody here completed this without a wt?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m in the same position as you, Veovis.

Two puzzles are bugging me in particular:
1. The map in the forest - I’ve tried linking the poem to the objects in various ways but none of them seem to work.
2. The ouija board - I know I need a name but none of the names I’ve tried are working.

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Oscar - 11 July 2016 08:11 AM

I’m in the same position as you, Veovis.

Two puzzles are bugging me in particular:
1. The map in the forest - I’ve tried linking the poem to the objects in various ways but none of them seem to work.
2. The ouija board - I know I need a name but none of the names I’ve tried are working.

Same here although I haven’t even connected he forest map with a poem. Also:

1. No idea how to get the missing picture from behind the bars in the military bunker.
2.  Think I have the complete solution for the piano puzzle but the game is not exactly clear on which keys to play (may solve 1.).
3.  No idea how to get the air flowing deep below the manor to free Bune (the red demon).
4.  No idea what to say to the person/spirit behind the door in Samson’s workshop.
5.  “Ad astra” is the only clue I’ve found to the box puzzle in the village. Can’t figure out the solution.

I’ve solved games like Riven and the RHEM’s without help, but this one seems impossible unless you can find a way into the developer’s minds… Well, well. May give it another go later today.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top