• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Hello adventure game friends, I’m Marko, Tanais Games CEO and with this first post I’m announcing our first game - Saint Kotar.

Saint Kotar is a true 2D point & click adventure game coming out in 2017 for Windows, Mac, and Linux. The game merges psychological horror narrative and classically inspired point ‘n click adventure mechanics with switchable characters.

Art & inspiration
Digitally hand-painted with a distinctive 2D art style that fits the game’s mood, fully voiced and featuring an original eerie soundtrack, Saint Kotar draws inspiration from p&c classics like Broken Sword and Monkey Island (in terms of mechanics and gameplay), along with the works from horror fiction writers such as H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe (in terms of the narrative). I can add, the game has some sort of Gabriel Knight vibe Laughing

The plot
Invited to attend an exhibition of rare medieval art, the protagonists travel to Saint Kotar at the end of October 2006. The welcoming is cold and atrocious, as they find themselves dragged abruptly in a macabre series of murders, allegedly related to Satanic worship and witchcraft. These dreadful acts compel the protagonists to follow the shadow of something deeply hidden behind the town’s dark past.
Surrounded by a tenebrous aura of mystery, madness and fear, the protagonists to survive have to struggle not only against the unknown, but against themselves too, ultimately uncovering the vile truth of their own past.

You can find out more about the game at the official website http://www.saintkotar.com, or by following the game’s official pages on Facebook and Twitter.

The game will have English as the default language, and it will be localized into German, Spanish and Italian languages as well (only text, no voices).

Hope you like it!  Smile

https://www.redmartyr.com - Red Martyr Entertainment is a narratively focused game development studio located at the south end of the magical Istrian peninsula, Croatia. We’re on a quest to deliver fun and memorable games with choices that matter.

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2016-06-15

PM

Hello there! What kind of gameplay will we see? Smile A classic one?

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

PaCgamer - 15 June 2016 09:24 AM

Hello there! What kind of gameplay will we see? Smile A classic one?

Hi!  Smile

Yes, the gameplay will be classic, with the mechanics and user interface very similar to the Broken Sword series.  Wink

https://www.redmartyr.com - Red Martyr Entertainment is a narratively focused game development studio located at the south end of the magical Istrian peninsula, Croatia. We’re on a quest to deliver fun and memorable games with choices that matter.

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Tanais Games - 15 June 2016 12:24 PM

Yes, the gameplay will be classic, with the mechanics and user interface very similar to the Broken Sword series.  Wink

Hi Marko, that sounds wonderful, the plot seems interesting & I love the screenshots! - when are you expecting to release the game?

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

chrissie - 15 June 2016 02:00 PM
Tanais Games - 15 June 2016 12:24 PM

Hi Marko, that sounds wonderful, the plot seems interesting & I love the screenshots! - when are you expecting to release the game?

Hi Chrissie Smile

Well, the game will be out in 2017, somewhere between Q2 to Q4. We are very early in development, so it’s really hard to say at the moment in which quarter the game will be released.

We are pushing to make a short demo fully playable by the end of the year though, so you will have a chance to enjoy a part of the game earlier Smile We are heavily focused on quality, that’s why we won’t release even only a demo before everything is top-notch Laughing

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Great looking pics.
Great art.
Give me footage

Edit

Are those witches around fire.Smile
I just added similar plot thread in AG parser.
Well it was inspired from movie TheWitch.
Witches sabbat is eerie.

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

nomadsoul - 15 June 2016 10:08 PM

Great looking pics.
Great art.
Give me footage

Edit

Are those witches around fire.Smile
I just added similar plot thread in AG parser.
Well it was inspired from movie TheWitch.
Witches sabbat is eerie.

Hi nomadsoul,

We will have footage of the gameplay somewhere in the fall, maybe even sooner Smile

Witch sabbats are definitely eerie and mysterious, but they usually take place somewhere hidden from the others, on mountain tops or forests… People around the fire in the image are not witches, they are just locals attending the annual celebration of the town, trying to forget even for only that night what haunts them repeatedly…

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Hello adventure friends! Smile

Just a little update from us, a new concept art of a scene in our game Saint Kotar. Wondering what’s going on in that house…

Development of the game is going well, soon we will have a rough estimate of when the playable demo will be available, and other important updates aswell. Stay tuned Smile

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Hello fellow adventurers!  Smile

We’ve been quite for some time, mostly hiding in our office working hard on Saint Kotar. In our latest blog post you can read about the progress on the game’s development, our plan to release the playable demo, what do we fear and why are we lurking it.

As of now we have 40 concept art of the scenes finished, which is about 50% of the total number that will be available in the full game. Yes, Saint Kotar will not be a short adventure Yum Right now this information is not available nowhere else, not even on our social network profiles or websites - it’s an exclusive for the AG forum and its community!  Cool

We shared 3 weeks ago a trailer, to be more specific a teaser trailer, honoring the Halloween. You can watch it here, but please keep in mind this is not a scene, nor actual gameplay, from the game. Although, it’s hideously related to the plot…  Wink

Follow us on facebook, and/or twitter, and/or instagram, more news coming soon!

Cheers Heart

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-11-24

PM

Looks awesome!

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Fellow adventurers and seeker of the unknown, we need your opinion, your help!  Saint Kotar must include:

a) Hint system - designed as the UHS system. Clicking a button gradually reveals to the player a solution to the current puzzle.

b) Object Highlight system - while pressing a specific button all hot spots (objects) on the scene are highlighted.

c) both of them!

d) none of them - I don’t want a system that could help me, if it’s there then I’ll be tempted to use it. Better to leave clues hidden in dialogues and environments.

Our goal is to have challenging puzzles, but at the same time fair and logic. One of these systems, or both of them, could help stuck players to advance into the game, without the need to search for walkthroughs. On the other hand, even “hardcore” p&c players would eventually succumb to the temptation of using one of these systems. Saint Kotar is mostly a love letter to the old-school p&c genre community, but at the same time we want to make it an enjoying experience even for those that 20 years ago were hardcore players, who nowadays cannot invest so much time playing games because of their responsibilities (jobs, family, modern way of life, etc.).

Although we posted the same question on other channels as well (facebook, twitter, instagram), we think this is the best place to help us decide. Thank you Smile

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Nothing wanted for me. With all that might as well call it a casual game. Btw, it does look nice, how close to release?

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-11-24

PM

Not that important to me, but I like B.

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

GreyFuss - 15 December 2016 01:49 PM

Nothing wanted for me. With all that might as well call it a casual game. Btw, it does look nice, how close to release?

Thank you. We are working on a playable demo right now, which will be released in spring, while at the same time starting the Kickstarter campaign. The game is about 30% done, Kickstarter would give the injection we need to finish it by the end of the next year, or Q1 of 2018. We’ll keep you updated Smile

mill - 15 December 2016 04:12 PM

Not that important to me, but I like B.

Thanx for the opinion Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I definitely prefer B. I hate spending time trying to solve a puzzle only to find out that it was only because I missed a hotspot Smile

I’m not a big fan of hint systems because of the temptation to use them.

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

giom - 15 December 2016 08:34 PM

I definitely prefer B. I hate spending time trying to solve a puzzle only to find out that it was only because I missed a hotspot Smile

I’m not a big fan of hint systems because of the temptation to use them.

We agree, including hint systems is too much tempting, and thus a tricky decision to make.

So far the majority of answers we’ve received were for the option B and D Foot in mouth

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top