• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any MODERN FMV games like GK 2, Phantasmagoria, Harvester, etc?

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 23 May 2016 10:55 AM
Oscar - 22 May 2016 09:49 PM

Well, there’s Damn Virgins. I haven’t played it.

This is a half-baked FMV game - the FMV part is only in the cutscenes. (which seems strangely odd when the rest of the game is prerendered/sprites.)

There are real people in it?? Half-baked is right.
Damn, do I have to eat half my hat… Sick  What do you think, diego?  You be the judge.  Naughty

EDIT: No, of course I don’t. It doesn’t use digitalized real people. What a relief.  Thumbs Up

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

And there’s that question again - what would a digitalized “real person” 3D character look like?

My guess is it would look much like the sprites in this game. Unless anyone has a better example?

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Oscar - 23 May 2016 07:32 AM
Karlok - 23 May 2016 06:42 AM

I’ll eat my hat if this is a digitized real person.  Tongue

That’s the problem with the word FMV. It means different things to different people. The reviewer wasn’t thinking of human actors.

This was FMV in 1996. Does it look any realer to you?

I’m not sure there is a way to do 3D FMV that doesn’t look ugly yet. At least on a budget.

Yes. That is what I want (and I don’t care at all how “ugly” that looks, it has total charm to me).

I wasn’t thinking in terms of 3D, although that would be interesting. I literally mean an updated version of the style you just posted.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 23 May 2016 12:27 PM

And there’s that question again - what would a digitalized “real person” 3D character look like?

My guess is it would look much like the sprites in this game. Unless anyone has a better example?

L.A. Noire. And a lot other new games, like that one Call of Duty with Kevin Spacey.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 23 May 2016 12:52 PM
Oscar - 23 May 2016 12:27 PM

L.A. Noire.

Good one. And wasn’t that the most expensive adventure game ever made?

Perhaps Damn Virgins is just L.A. Noire on a budget.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-01-07

PM

Hi! I am the creator of Damn virgins. As you said it’s a mix of FMV and traditional adventure game but with some differences. There are like 40 minutes of videos recorded with real actors. At some points when you solve a puzzle a videoclip is triggered. Some of these clips show the same 3D scenario you have been played but in real life.

Characters were digitized using Microsoft Kinect from real actors (here you can see a rough test). They were later improved using 3D model tools.

The first idea for the scenario was to use a technology similar to Matterport to create that 90s FMV look and feel you talk about but in 3D. However, it was discarded because of texture/models size.

I think it would be awesome to mix this state-of-the-art technology to create more inmersive games!

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Thanks Luis.

Karlok? Pics and video please. Grin

This is for the hat btw:

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

They are? Eh… oops! Improved using 3D models too. I’d really like to discuss the use of human models and the results, but first I have to eat my hat.

Thanks for the ketchup, Oscar, very thoughtful of you.

Pics? Sure, sure. Problem is, I just ate a hearty breakfast, you don’t mind waiting till I get hungry again, do you? Thanks.  Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

No problem, I’m a patient guy Smile

Maybe for Christmas this year we’ll be seeing Karlok with the hat in her mouth instead of on her head! You wouldn’t notice the ketchup either Wink

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 27 May 2016 06:01 AM

No problem, I’m a patient guy Smile

Maybe for Christmas this year we’ll be seeing Karlok with the hat in her mouth instead of on her head! You wouldn’t notice the ketchup either Wink

Yeah, that will be cool.  Cool

PS: There’s a youtube clip of someone eating his hat. Forty-five minutes long and he actually eats it after cutting it in little pieces and mixing it with edible stuff. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top